LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has ANYONE taken Riamet and Gotten True Relief from Babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has ANYONE taken Riamet and Gotten True Relief from Babesia?
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far nothing I've read here shows Riamet (Coartem) has any long-lasting positive effect on Babesia. Janet Thomas the Babs expert states this many times. Groovy2 never said he beat Babesia with this protocol.

I'm supposed to do a 3-day stint of it next. I need to get it first. I just am hoping it has some value. It's disappointing to hear no one took it and said their symptoms vanished. My LLMD claims it eradicates 40-60% of all Babs symptoms quickly.

I'm guessing it's a sort of dangerous drug. I know it can't be taken with anything else.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coartem totally relieves my Babesia symptoms for a few days. I've done 4 treatments (3days each) with it now. Unfortunately it does not seem to be a cure. My symptoms usually come back full force within 3 days after finishing the course.

And yes, it does interact with many other types of medications so listen to your doctor/pharmacist's instructions.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking this - a 7 day course of two pills twice a day.

It can be taken with some meds - your doc would have to advise.

I'm hoping it's not a dangerous drug. I have heard from some people who have taken it and everyone seemed to do fine.

I'm hoping the same for me.

I will let you know if it does anything positive.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done 2, 3 day courses and the 2nd course knocked out the remaining Babesia. The 2nd course was 3 months after the first. The first round produced a herx beginning 2 hours after taking it, the 2nd was very mild on days 2 and 3.

I think it works! I still take Malarone daily (to cover the symptom free plus 2 months period) but am done in a few weeks.

I hope it helps you too!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unsure445, thanks so much for the good experience. [Smile] I'm happy to hear it. That's exciting.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, have taken coartem and gotten long term relief from babesia. Several years ago, I took Riamet(same drug as Coartem), two courses back to back, along with artimisinin per Dr. K's protocol, and I wiped out babesia. This was 4-5 years ago. Now, if I occasionally start sweating (I also have malaria from living in Africa 40 years ago)and I think it could be babs, I take three artimisin caps per day for three days and that ends it. However, before you try this, ramp up gradually as art. can cause strong herxes.

In the past my Igenix test was positive for babs but not any more. I still have Lyme, though.

Since Coartem is used widely around the world for millions of children and adults with malaria, I would think that it has a good safety profile. It is used where there is very limited medical care available.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now 3 days off Coartem. I herxed slightly on it, and am now feeling worse after being off it for 3 days. I'm about to start Zith.
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on day 6 of a 7 day course now. It has made me herx with chest tightness, air hunger, heart palps, fatigue, headache and some increase of other symptoms.

That all started on day 2 into 3.

Some dizziness - don't know if side effect or herx. Kind of like stepping off a merry go round.

I also got some weird rashes and itchiness. Probably part of the herx since it only started on day 4. And now on day 6, they seem better.

I will let you know how I feel next week once I am completely done and have been off for a few days.

I should note that I am sleeping better at night. Like 6 hours in a row and that is so unusual for me.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seek,

Coartem is next up for hubby as well. Kind of worried about this med as LLMD is having hubby do the standard 3 day treatment of 24 pills and not any sort of low dose trial of this med.

Hubby is still on IV Rocephin plus low dose zithromax and factive. Will alternate the coartem with low dose tindamax and do 4 cycles of coartem/tindamax in a month. Yes, I know zithromax may have some interactions with coartem, but we are going ahead with the protocol.

I do have a neuro appointment with a LLMD neuro for hubby next week so the 700 mile drive (one way) should be interesting to say the least.

Good luck.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

I had to stop coartem because of heart palpitations.

I made it through 6 out of 7 days.

Truthfully, I would rather have taken 3 days.

I did herx on it with increased air hunger, hot feelings, dizziness, memory issues, fatigue and a few rashes that seemed to be die-off related.

I am off now for 2 days and today got another increase in air hunger and chest tightness so it is still active.

From researching I found out it stays active in your body for 7 days after you finish it.

Did it help? I believe it helped my headaches and some of my muscle pain.

It made my memory issues worse and also air hunger.

Starphoenix
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered it from a site. I'm kind of scared now. I have heart issues and low potassium. I only read about issues after I ordered it. I've been desperate.

I have mixed forms of Babs, no LLMD (long story!), long term, more recent, and even more recent infections. I still have Lyme and Bart, too. I'm trying to get this dealt with on my own, and I also ordered Cumanda, Enula, and Crytolepsis. I have Andrographis, Resveratrol, and Cat's Claw. I have a rife machine, too.

I take a lot of drugs, too, and am worried now about interactions. Meanwhile, I've got a messed up stomach and gut.

So I'm worried that if I take Riamet, I will die. But I'm afraid I will die without treatment, too, and it will be even longer and more agonizing than it's been.

[ 09-07-2010, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Starphoenix ]

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH! I didn't know I had to use the full form to get email notification.

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seekhelp, have you done the Coartem? How did you do with it?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement