LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » the food connection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the food connection
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should start by saying I am used to being very strict with myself about food. I lost almost 50 lbs. and reduced my dangerous triglycerides 14 years ago by giving up most carbs, and although I've added some back into my diet over those years I never eat sugar and almost never eat bread.

I also have to severely limit saturated fat, plus I react badly to solanine, so that eliminates all the nightshades, along with several other foods. I've been okay with this for a long time.

In early June I came down with unexplained fever, sweats, and assorted other symptoms that I later learned were typical of Lyme. Before I found the deer tick attached to me, before I was thinking about Lyme at all, I said to someone, "It feels like that fever changed everything." I felt very different somehow, and one of the differences involved eating.

I had very little appetite for weeks. I forced myself to eat to combat low blood sugar. But I had no desire to eat most of the foods I always liked. All I wanted to eat were crackers, pretzels, bread, peanut butter, dark chocolate, and fruit.

Because I felt so lousy and needed to eat, I let myself eat what I craved. That seemed to make sense at the time. But here I am a couple of months later, being treated with doxycycline, and still craving those foods. I have a lot of my appetite back, but much of the time I have to force myself to eat things like salads and almonds, which I used to love.

What's with these cravings? I've craved carbs my whole life (except during the period when I cut them out completely), but now I seem to have lost my self-discipline (along with some of my hair, my stamina, and quite a bit of sleep).

I assume this is Lyme-related?

Thanks,

Alis

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotus26
Member # 26556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotus26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like me. i used to be a pretty good eater and now i crave crave crave pasta bread cheese carbs carbs carbs. and chocolate and fruit. i dont know why? feeding the candida?
Posts: 62 | From Perth Amboy NJ | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bacteria thrive on sugar...carbs.

They are asking to be fed..and your body is craving what they want.

It's best to go back to your low carb diet and the cravings should decrease.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to know I'm feeding my bacteria. :-)

Sounds like Lotus and I shouldn't indulge our cravings. It's too bad.......just when we could use some comfort food.

Thanks for responding, both of you.

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

All I wanted to eat were crackers, pretzels, bread, peanut butter, dark chocolate, and fruit.

Chocolate and nuts are high in magnesium.
The Lyme bacteria uses up the magnesium in our cells.

Almonds are a good source of magnesium, as are beans.
At one point I ate alot of almonds for two months, and after that lost my craving for chocolate.

Are you supplementing magnesium?

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

I've supplemented magnesium for years. Maybe I need a larger amount. I have to be careful when I take it now, because it interferes with doxycycline.

It's funny.......almonds are one of the things I ate a lot of before I got sick, and now I have to push myself to eat even a small amount. I still like walnuts and pecans, though.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dekrator is exactly correct. Then once you get on abx, the sugar cravings get even worse!!

Do what you can to get back on the wagon!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alis,
How about pumpkin seeds, they are high in magnesium also.
I like these: Eden Foods Spicy Pumpkin Seeds, Dry Roasted
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=94271&catid=48701&trx=CRT-PLST&trxp1=17008&trxp2=94271

I try to eat beans frequently.
Bean soup, baked beans, refried beans, bean burritoes, kidney beans.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me the food cravings, low blood sugar, extreme weight gain and nausea after eating were all related to Lyme and Bartonella.

I was always athletic and weighed barely 100 lbs when this nightmare began. There was simply nothing I could do about my endocrine system. Doctors were no help, of course.

At my worst I went up to 163 lbs. I have lost most of it thanks to abx treatment for a year and a half although there are times when my low blood sugar is wildly out of control.

I can only speak for myself, but I do believe these symptoms are all related to my version of disease.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotus26
Member # 26556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotus26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like me leelee. i used to have an amazing metabolim. i was athletic and ate a variety of things. now sugar and carbs are all i crave. i have all symptoms of low blood sugar.

whenever i felt sick my mom always told me it was low blood sugar. i gained much weight. 205lbs now at 5'6 and nausea. i suspected bartonella also because of all of my mood disorders/rage

Posts: 62 | From Perth Amboy NJ | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement