LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » High eosinophils & high ASO titers - explain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High eosinophils & high ASO titers - explain
zlv123
Member # 27077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zlv123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 7 year old son just completed 4 weeks of AMOX to treat (chronic) Lyme. He was going to have 6 weeks, then be put on Penicillin for 1 year, but IDS Doc said his Eosinophil cells were high at 13%, his ASO titers are still high (741) so she put him on Penicillin immediately. I'm taking him to see Ped. Rheum soon and want to know what else he should be tested for? Bartonella? Babesia? etc.? Does it matter which Doc I ask to do these tests?

Thanks again for your support and knowledge.

Posts: 4 | From Northern VA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did she say caused the high eosinophils because we have gotten them too in my little guy?

You would benefit most from a LLMD, ILADS trained. Our doctor uses Igenix/Specialty Labs and Labcorp. They are good labs and easily accessable by a good LLMD.

We have not taken Penicilin. I'm not sure what that targets best. But, coinfections may need to be treated differently then Lyme, depending on what they are. Also, there are three forms of the lyme spirochete, and not uncommon for someone to be on more then one antibiotic to target those individual forms simultaneously.

I would suggest seing your doctors and hearing what they have to say and questioning them, but also making an appt now with a LLMD. The wait is usually out 6 months for new patients.

Hang in there, you're on the right track.

Hugs

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High eosinophil counts can be very indicative of parasites. Please do a search on here under parasites by going to the top and click on the search bar. Lots of good info. Please don't ignore this.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The penicillin is for the ASO titers!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on amox and came back with high eosinophil (8 compared to 3 last time). I asked about it and was told that that can indicate an allergy, cold, etc. etc. And, I did have a cold at the time of the test, so my doc wasn't too concerned about it for me (but, I'm an adult with no history of sensitivity to abx).

Maybe the doc thought your son was was reacting to the amox??? You should feel free to ask doc that question. Also, I would clarify, if that is the case, why penicillin would be "better" than amox. Also, if your son has prior tests, you may want to compare if the result is an increase or decrease.

Since you have a doc who's willing to do long-term abx, I'm wondering if it might be worth a discussion with your doc.

This may be true, especially b/c, unless you're sure of the response you'll get from rheum, the current doctor may be more open minded than the rheum.

Good luck.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My eos were high, but they were blamed on allergies. I still believe some type of parasite is involved.
Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right.....parasites or allergies.

Yup, that is what I read as well. It is interesting though to hear another possibility.

In my sons case, I think Gael is right....parasites.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'd do some parasite testing via DiagnosTechs or Metametrix and see what you can identify.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband & 2 sons (age 19 & 24) had their tonsils and adenoids removed this spring. They had high DNASE-B AB & ASO titers.

Their ENT prescribed 2 weeks of Amoxicillin after the surgery. Then their LLMD prescribed 4 weeks of penicillin. Then they were off antibiotics for 2 weeks and they were retested. Their titers are reduced but still above normal.

My sons didn't tolerate penicillin very well and they will now be starting a rotation of 2 antibiotics.

Our LLMD said to find a Antibiogram. We found the Antibiogram from the University of Minnesota Clinical Microbiology Laboratory.

This is the link to it.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greengirl mentioned allergies,

many including myself become allergic to Penicillin class drugs inc. amox.
May be worth looking into.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wHY ARE YOU TAKING HIM TO A I'm taking him to see Ped Rheum?

Rheumatologists, in general, don't know anything about infectious diseases.

I know all too many rheumatologists that prescribed steroids for people suffering with Lyme disease and the outcomes were disastrous.

Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you taking him to see a Ped Rheum?

Rheumatologists, in general, don't know anything about infectious diseases.

I know all too many rheumatologists that prescribed steroids for people suffering with Lyme disease and the outcomes were disastrous.

We had a friend that took her son to Ped Rheum several months after the child was bitten by a tick and he basically prescribed anti-inflammatories.. Fortunately, she decided against following his recommendations and took the child to a Lyme treating phyisican - the child received antibiotic treatment and is in good shape - he now resides in Erie, PA.

Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My EOS was very high and related to parasites. We'd treat, it would go down, I'd stop treatment, EOS would go back up. This happened many many times. I did some form of treatment or other for a long time. Apparently I needed it.

Personally, I think it's possible that parasites cause allergies which may be why EOS is associated with allergies.

Doctors in the US almost NEVER test for parasites with the exception of Naturopathic doctors and our dear LLMD's.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement