LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Please Explain "Igenex"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Explain "Igenex"
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My GP is being very, very helpful to me in doing "test" I request from her.

At my recent hospital follow-up appointment, I ask her to run a Babesia test and Lyme EIA (IGG) and (IGM) test. She very willingly did so.

I am confused when asked if these were done by "Igenex".

I hope I didn't have these done for no reason. The lab still has a tube of blood they are "holding" on cold.

If I request any other test for her to run, I want to ask correctly.

Hope everyone is doing okay. Thank you for your time (again).

I had a Western Blot which is extremely positive when you listen to the IDSA guidelines and LLMD studies, however, the Ducks I have seen since June that have put me through "he**" says "YOU DON'T HAVE LYME"!!!!

Anyway, I don't want to get off the subject. "Igenex"?? "Elsia" I think is another term I have read.

I see her again soon.

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!!

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most doctors will not send your blood to igenex for testing. they have to pay for shipping and most insurance companies will not pay for it. some will, but most won't.

i would specifically ask that it be sent to igenex and ask for copies of the report.

igenex, a company in california, is known for having the very best lab for testing lyme.

western blot and elisa, are in my opinion, totally worthless. i've had them done several times. they stated it don't have lyme.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Randibear;

So Igenex is a COMPANY. It has also been ask if my test were ELISA positive.

I see from your comment that you do not care for Elisa.

My Lyme Test that was ran was Western Blot. Do you know exactly what I should ask my GP I want?

I unfortunately did not know this info when she ran the Babs and EIA tests for me last week.

Can I request a WHOLE other LYME test to be sent to IGENEX? I'll pay what I have to pay to get a worthwhile ACCURATE test once and for all.

Thank you so much.

--------------------

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya know i suggest you get a copy of Dr.S's book "lyme disease solution". he's got a complete chapter 3 on testing and explains it very well.

the elisa and western blot routinely miss about 35 percent or more of lyme. and some of these tests don't even look at 31 and 34. critical elements for lyme testing. and usually "ND" ends up being positive for lyme.

i can't explain it as i really don't have the technical wherewithall, but that book is really good.

just ask for your blood to be sent to igenex. i paid about 400, but i don't know what it will cost now.

getting the doctor to do is a whole nother story tho. only my llmd would do it. pcp's usually won't even discuss it.

** moderator's note - edited to remove doctor's name **

[ 08-19-2010, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:

western blot and elisa, are in my opinion, totally worthless. i've had them done several times. they stated it don't have lyme.

Randi and Consuela... The Igenex test you NEED is the WESTERN BLOT .. Test #188 and 189 www.igenex.com

The ELISA is the one that is worthless...UNLESS it actually comes back positive. Then you can bank on it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely agree with too!
Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julier212
Member # 26408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Igenex's website, and request a testing kit from them. It's free. It comes with a form for your dr. to sign and fill out what tests you want. If they draw blood at her office, then have them do that there. If not I just went to LapCorp, with the form my dr. signed, and had them draw blood there. That was free also. Then I took the blood, put it in the box Igenex provided, and mailed it through FedEx in the special package Igenex sent me, and that was free, too. Good Luck!
Posts: 71 | From Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to send a check to pay for my Igenex Western Blot, knowing my insurance would not reimburse me. I think I paid about $200. If you call Igenex, they can tell you the price for the test. They can't tell you which test you need to get, but they can help you figure out which one is the right one that you are asking about.

My LLMD gave me the kit with a printout of instructions that he must have made for all his patients. Then I went to a hospital to have the blood drawn. I tried to do it at Quest while I was getting other blood drawn for Quest tests, but they refused.

The hospital asked to see the doctor's order for the test. I don't know what they would have said if I had wanted to do the test on my own, and no doctor had signed the form yet. It's useful to have a prescription or lab order from the doctor when you go to get the blood drawn. But the doctor's signature on the form might be enough.

The hospital charged me about $20 to draw my blood, and I convinced them, with some difficulty, to let me leave my Fedex package for their Fedex pickup to make sure it would go out the same day. Do it early in the week so your blood won't sit over the weekend.

I recently had blood drawn at the hospital again for another test I had to send to a private lab. I told the hospital not to bother billing it to my insurance, and this time they only charged me $10 because they said, "You get a 50% discount for self pay."

So rather than letting them send the amount to my insurance to go towards my humongous deductible that I pray I will never meet in a year, I am better off, for hospital services that the insurance won't cover, to just tell the hospital I don't have any and ask for a self-pay discount.

I didn't need to ask my GP to sign off on the Igenex test for me, but I think she would have been willing to if I had.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new LLND just alerted me the Igenix testing (which I really wanted)which she does prefer if possible was $660.00
I just wasn't prepared financially. I believe it also was testing for Bartonella.

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Western Blot #188 and 189 is only around $200. I don't think you need anything more FOR LYME....just my humble opinion!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of the input.

I have a Western Blot, which depending on who looks at it is positive in 4 of the 15 bands. But it was not sent to Igenex.

Some of the bands say "Reactive", some say "Positive".

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Is the overall report "positive"? Then you can bank on it.

IF not, then get a test thru Igenex, where they will test for ALL of the possible bands.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement