LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » C - Reactive Protein

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: C - Reactive Protein
Rozzie10
Member # 26872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rozzie10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone explain this test and what it shows? Is there anything to worry about if you test with a high number or is it expected with Lyme?
Posts: 6 | From Southern MA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many with Lyme will have a high test result, as it is a measure of inflammation in the body. You can use natural things to bring it down, like mangosteen, curcumin, bromelain etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, i suppose if you have inflammed joints that makes sense. i was fine when mine was tested(no joint pain).

isnt it mostly used when looking for cancer??

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosiegeorge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosiegeorge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm also interested in this. In the past When my lyme was tested, this was usually high while lyme negative. I've wondered if there was a correlation as I usually have swollen/painful joints.

Thanks for this post.

Posts: 157 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a marker for high inflammation.

Inflammation can be associated with Lyme symptoms, arthritis, asthma, diabetes, heart disease, etc. etc.

I have had good luck lowering my C-RP number with a low carb diet, when I stick to it faithfully.

Antioxidants in general reduce inflammation.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine has always been low. However, my disease manifestation has not been characterized by joint pain predominately. I'm not sure if the correlation with lyme is that strong.

I did have an elevated ANA at times (no lupus).

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OmegaBrite brought my sis' CRP level down to its lowest level in years.

3 capsules a day (all at once with something fatty) for 3 months.

I'm pleading with her to continue it.

Ongoing inflammation is not good.

She has joint destruction (and joint pains).

CRP is a member of the class of acute-phase reactants, as its levels rise dramatically during inflammatory processes occurring in the body.

This increment is due to a rise in the plasma concentration of IL-6, which is produced predominantly by macrophages as well as adipocytes.

CRP binds to phosphocholine on microbes. It is thought to assist in complement binding to foreign and damaged cells and

***enhances phagocytosis by macrophages (opsonin mediated phagocytosis)***,

which express a receptor for CRP.

It is also believed to play another important role in innate immunity, as an early defense system against infections.

CRP rises up to 50,000-fold in acute inflammation, such as infection.

Wikipedia

A high or increasing amount of CRP in your blood suggests that you have an acute infection

or inflammation.

If the CRP level in your blood drops, it means that you are getting better and inflammation is being reduced.

CRP levels can be elevated in the later stages of pregnancy as well as with use of birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy

(i.e., estrogen).

Higher levels of CRP have also been observed in the obese.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/crp/test.html

CRP is produced in the liver

and its level is measured by testing the blood.

What are the main causes of an elevated C-reactive protein?

In general, the main causes of increased CRP and other markers of inflammation are:

burns,

trauma,

infections,

inflammation,

active inflammatory arthritis, and

certain cancers.

Is there a link between C-reactive protein (CRP) and cardiovascular disease risk?

The elevation of CRP has also been recently linked to atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Atherosclerosis, or cholesterol plaquing of the arteries, is known to have an inflammatory component that is thought to cause the rise in CRP levels in the blood.

Atherosclerosis is also felt to be affected by age and other cardiovascular risk factors including diabetes mellitus, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and cigarette smoking.

In atherosclerosis, the blood vessel wall becomes injured.

This injury acts as focus of inflammation and leads to the formation of plaques in the blood vessel walls.

The plaques typically contain blood cells of inflammation, cholesterol deposits, and debris from the injured cells in the blood vessel lining.

The accumulation of these elements leads to narrowing of the wall of the blood vessel.

The blood vessel narrowing can hinder the blood flow and the plaque can rupture and flake off of the blood vessel wall causing blockage and leading to strokes and heart attacks.

The burden of plaques in the body can be proportional to the degree of CRP elevation in persons with atherosclerosis. Atherosclerotic plaques can exist in different stages throughout the body.

http://www.medicinenet.com/c-reactive_protein_test_crp/article.htm

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how reliable is the CRP as a marker for lyme? My CRP is routinely .3 yet I would not classify my condition as improving.

If all lyme patients have a high CRP, then I would need to start looking elsewhere for problems.

We need more feedback here on CRP level and health status from lymies.

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Well, here's one abstract:

ROLE OF C-REACTIVE PROTEIN (CRP) IN THE DIFFERENTIATION OF LYME AND VIRAL MENINGITIS IN A LYME-ENDEMIC AREA
http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/93/2_MeetingAbstracts/ps59

--------------------

UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had an exremely high CRP since 2007... 3.5 years.... never once has it been normal... mine has been as high as 35 and that is on the HS-CRP which only goes up to 3... so mine is VERY high.

i have NO joint pain or swelling... all neuro... so it does not have to be becase of Joints.

i have done fish oil, and every supp you can imagine to get this CRP lowered and it lowered, but never normal... last i cheched the HS-CRP was 12.7... still VERY high. i also have an elevated Sed Rate.

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is less than .01 now, due to taking high quality mangosteen.

As regards Lyme and the CRP I would say you could have a very high CRP and NO LYME. So I don't think it's a totally reliable measure for it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rozzie10..Our son's CRP was normal yet he had an acute Lyme infection and Babesia. It is interesting how everyone's body will react differently to this disease.

There is definitely something going on in your body if the number is high but I don't believe it would point only to Lyme.

Hope that helps a little....

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CRP was 12.76. At the time of the test i was having incredible joint pain. My RA number was high as well. Since implementing the no sugar no carb diet my sx have improved. Not great but NOTHING like it was. Probably should retest.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement