LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Manic-Panic Anxiety reaction from taking EPA/DHA Fish Oil - Pyroluria?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Manic-Panic Anxiety reaction from taking EPA/DHA Fish Oil - Pyroluria?
CedarWidow
Member # 27541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CedarWidow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else besides myself gotten a manic/panic anxiety reaction from taking fish oil?

I have tried combined DHA/EPA, EPA only, and DHA only-- same reaction! It just makes me more anxious.

If taken before bed-- forget about sleeping! I hear this is common with pyroluria, and pyroluria is common with Lyme.

Well, I have Lyme, but I am being tested for pyroluria, results not in.

If anyone else has experienced a similar reaction, whether diagnosed with pyroluria or not, I would love to hear about it to know I am not alone. Thanks!

Posts: 24 | From Maine | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Might you have a degree of fish allergy? I'm thinking it may be.

Pyroluria is a kind of porphyria. I have two other kinds of genetic porphyrias (chronic variegate, and protoporphyria) and I do extremely well with a good quality fish oil.

But I avoid all gel-caps. I just get the oil and use a spoon.

Have you tired to get the Omegas from a different source other than from fish? If so, how did that work out for you?

You might search the "no" lists at the links below - and even call both the American and the Canadian porphyria organizations and talk to them about fish oil.

I do know that if the oil is old, at all, that can contribute to anxiety / porphyria reactions. That's one reason I never use gel-caps. The oil can get oil and one would never know.

With the oil straight into my mouth, I can tell if it is starting to turn. The ingredients that go into gel-caps, themselves, are not exactly something I always can trace, either. So, I just avoid them.

And, taking it a step farther, I get my fish oil in a glass jar. Plastic can leech out and that can add to petroleum chemicals in the body, something that can cause more toxins to those with any kind of porphyria.

More toxins (for any source) can raise the level of porphyrins and that can cause anxiety/panic from the porphyrin overload.

==============

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA Thread - along with details about KPU/HPU (Mauve factor)

==============

I've never taken it at night, just in the morning. I've never experienced any anxiety from it. I don't know if it would keep me awake or not were I to take it at night, though.

This is the Fish Oil that I use (and I get from my ND) - in a brown glass bottle. You can see the specifications here:

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/Finest-Pure-Fish-Oil-Liquid-with-essential-oil-of-orange-by-Pharmax_p_43.html

Pharmax Finest Pure Fish Oil
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CedarWidow
Member # 27541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CedarWidow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have eaten fish my whole life without allergy issues-- not to say I haven't developed one, though!

I can honestly say I have never had a food allergy.

Why I am veering away from the fish allergy idea, is because I have tried vegetarian-based capsules of DHA only, containing no fish, with the same exact reaction.

(In case you're curious, the first time I had a reaction was after taking a EPA-only fish oil capsule).

I couldn't even tolerate eating salmon or other fish after this, which Im assuming contains the combined EPA/DHA-- same reaction!

It is a very intense, uneasy, horrible feeling. It comes on like a wave, and can last a few hours.

From what I understand, omega-3's make anxiety worse in those with pyroluria, as well as exaggerating other types of mental disorders, like schizophrenia.

In people with pyroluria, vitamins b6, zinc, magnesium, manganese, among others, and OMEGA 6's are easily depleted from the body (I'm sure you know all this, I've seen your posts!). Unlike the rest of the population who needs less omega 6, and more omega 3, it seems pyroluria requires the opposite.

For me, omega-3 supplements make it way worse for some reason, and didn't know if there was a Lyme/Pyroluria connection, considering I can't recall this happening earlier in life!

I have only met one other person, and seen a small anxiety disorders forum of people who have had this reaction with EPA/DHA.

Posts: 24 | From Maine | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Marnie or GiGi may have the answer to this one. Thanks for supplying the important details so I can learn more.

I do hope this puzzle is figured out for you soon.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CedarWidow
Member # 27541

Thanks Keebler, I will pm Marnie and GiGi!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement