LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GERD and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GERD and Lyme
heartof14k
Member # 20439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartof14k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else have GERD With their Lyme?

I am CDC+ Lyme, and have nighttime GERD. Every morning I awaken with acid in my throat. I also have disrupted sleep. This has been going on since I started getting sick (past 10 yrs). Once, I woke up in mid of the nite and felt my stomach contract and the contents shoot up my esophagus.

Dr. S. in her paper "Bell's Palsy of the gut" described GERD as part of the GI manifestations of Lyme.

I was on cholestyramine (known to give reflux) for neurotoxins 1 scoop in am, as per modified Dr. S (different Dr. S) protocol, A few weeks ago, on CSM, I awakened with acid in my mouth, not just the back of my throat. Now the mucous membranes of my mouth and teeth feel smooth. I am so worried because GERD can cause pre-mailgnant and malignant changes. Of course, I stopped the CSM, but the reflux in my mouth persists.

I am also taking Nexium 1-2X's per day and a pepcidAC at nite before bed. I'm not thrilled to take these meds because I have osteopenia and they have been linked to fractures.

Other meds are bicillin shots, rifampin, tindamax, DMSA, multiple supplements. The GERD has been many years, and these meds are new and don't seem to exacerbate it

I have followed usual reflux guidelines (not perfect with the food, but pretty good). I have tried many treatments, including DGL, aloe, GI Benefits with glutamine, betaine, and bitters.

I have appointment with GI M.D. in next few weeks and will be getting an endoscopy, with colonoscopy this fall.

Anyone else with this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

** moderator's note - doctor's names removed, please see terms of use **

[ 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 51 | From Boston, Ma. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have major acid reflux. Had it since the diagnosis of CFS, which I now know is Lyme. I am on the strongest prescription med for this, Kapidex/Dexelent. I was taking Nexium, but just kept getting worse.

I do all the right things, with diet, etc. Was even considering surgery for it, but found out it could cause difficulty with swallowing or vommiting. Don't need that.

I have the same concerns as yours. All I can say is try a stronger med.

Best wishes.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerd / Reflux is a Bart symptom, not lyme.

Yes...I have it. I was diagnosed with Gastritis in March before I was diagnosed with Lyme in May.

Suspect Bart.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 14 year old daughter has GERD & Barrett's esophagus. She also has Bart, streaks, stretch marks and all.

My daughter takes 40mg of protonix in am and 40 mg again before bed. It is helping at the moment. She was also taking carafate as needed but hasn't had any for about 3 months.

She's also taking digestive enzymes with meals.

I'm hoping the acid resolves with Bart treatment. But what to do in the meantime...

I met a young man over the weekend. He's had GERD for 13 years (since age 15). As we talked, him asking me questions, I saw the lightbulb go off in his head. After years of doctors telling him he was fine, it was all in his head, he's discovered what's been making him sick.

He said he has GERD (the G.I. doc said the worst he's ever seen), fatigue, problems swallowing, very painful calves and soles of feet, and subcautaneous (however you spell that) nodules on legs, and often has fevers of 104.

So at the very least he has Bart.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartof14k
Member # 20439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartof14k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx for your responses. Does anyone know of anyone who had their GERD resolve with antibiotics?
Posts: 51 | From Boston, Ma. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took medication for GERD for years and years until it no longer helped starting last Dec.

After having tests done "motility testing", which includes a swallow thing where they watch to see if stuff comes back up, and also a 24 hr. test where they leave a tube in, they discovered that I did NOT have GERD, but just another unnamed motility issue.

This just means that my digestive system doesn't work fast enough.

Since that diagnosis, I have been taking Amitiza and have had no more problems.

The testing was a nuisance, but it was nice to learn the truth after all these years.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine is gone. I have yet to treat bart, but I have treated lyme with doxy, flagyl and biaxin.

I still take 40mg of Nexium.

My goal is to take Levaquin in September for 2 months then ween myself off of nexium, which can be tough.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, GERD since about 15 years ago. Eventually our local homeopath helped a lot, and even got our daughter weaned off prescription meds! (prevacid, prilosec, etc).

Now she manages by controlling her diet carefully. NO DAIRY, no acidic foods on an empty stomach, for example.

She has Lyme and had Ehrlichiosis, no evidence of Bart.

Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GERD was one of the first symptoms I had. (dx with Lyme, bartonella, babesia years later) I was perfect with my diet, and that helped. I took a proton pump inhibitor for awhile, but didn't like being on abx. (Those were the days.) I really don't know if the meds I'm taking for babesia/Lyme are helping, but I do not have a problem with GERD anymore. The other thing that helped me is that I was dx with sleep apnea and now use a cpap. I hate wearing the thing, but a wonderful side-effect is that the air pushes down into the esophagus all night, keeping anything that would reflux up where it belongs.
Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into d-limonene, orange peel extract.

http://www.iherb.com/D-limonene-Orange-Peel-Extract

Read the reviews.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Carol, I didn't tell you, but my daughter tried the d-limonene for a few months.

She would take it at lunch with other supplements.

Many days she would come home from school and tell me that after lunch, she would have a bit of acid that tasted just like the d-limonene.

We stopped taking the d-limonene about 2 months ago and she stopped complaining of acid after lunch.

When her acid is more under control, or rather, when she stops having acid (she's on so much antiacid meds, she shouldn't have any acid but still does), I will try her on it again.

I do think it could help her to heal, just now is not the time.

Just wanted to let you know.

My mom, on the other hand, had acid and was treated for h-pylori. She tried the D-limonene and loves it! It really helps her at this point.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, the d-limonene is supposed to stop the reflux.

I have used it twice now, and both times the reflux stopped, and I was able to sleep with no problems.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Maybe it works well or not depending on what's causing the GERD, bad bugs or abx or something else. I haven't given up on it. Just waiting for the right time.

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bad case of GERD a number of years ago, long before I was dx'd with Lyme. So it may or may not have been related to Lyme; at the time I had been taking ibuprofen for sinus headaches (what a dummy) AND I had started drinking some coffee again. So the cause could have been just that, who knows.

Anyway, none of the medications I tried worked, though some helped a little. This dragged on for months. Finally I cured it with ginger juice! It took 3 weeks, but it totally stopped it. And, it hasn't recurred, even while I was taking Doxy. Of course, I never take ibuprofen, avoid caffeine and keep my diet good. If you haven't tried this one yet, I don't suppose it would hurt.
instructions for ginger juice treatment

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Something else to try - HEY, if anyone with serious GERD tries one of these ideas and it works, PLEASE let us all know!!!!

I found this on Stephen Buhner's (author of Healing Lyme) blog at www.planetthrive.com

Dear Stephen,
I have two ill friends who wish to take more herbs but they suffer from horrible GERD and have not found anything useful. Both of them have lost substantial amounts of weight from not being able to eat. What would you recommend for GERD?

Stephen's response:
I would recommend that they begin using fresh juice each morning: cabbage is the most important as it contains specific anti-inflammatory and mucosal healing compounds. Cabbage, beet root, celery, carrot.

Then only oatmeal for the first solid meal. I usually do the juice for breakfast, the oatmeal for an early lunch and miso soup for dinner.

It is a diet reduction but it will normally relieve those symptoms within a week or two, permanently if the diet is closely watched and adjusted.

I have used cow parsnip seed (heracleum) for hiatus hernia with good success; they might try that.

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

17hens
Member # 23747

hurtingramma said,

"I did NOT have GERD, but just another unnamed motility issue. This just means that my digestive system doesn't work fast enough."

Do you remember, Hurtingramma, if you had a hiatal hernia or not?

I would love to find out if my daughter's GERD is actually a slow digestive system or not. But I do know she has a hiatal hernia, so I don't know if that lessens the chances.

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An LLMD told me that the disease process of lyme causes an inflammed sphincter which causes GERD.

17hens, I also have a hiatal hernia and I think it makes GERD worse.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement