LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What do you think of Stoney Brook Lab for testing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think of Stoney Brook Lab for testing?
bcaring
Member # 9157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcaring     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - I know many feel Igenex is the best lab. Does anyone feel that Stoney Brook lab is good?
It helps that they take insurance because it is a hospital. You can google their site. This is the lab that my doctor uses.

Beth

Posts: 6 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure they do NOT test for all possible bands, so important Lyme-specific bands would not show up even if you have them.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 7 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think they do test for all bands. I had testing done thru them a few years ago, I will have to pull out my papers and see.
Posts: 157 | From connecticut | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your doc has to request ALL BANDS

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariski
Member # 24942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mariski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The neurologist that I was originally seeing insisted that the testing at Stony Brook was as sensitive as the testing at Igenex.

However, I had only three bands positive through Stony Brook while I had four bands positive and three bands indeterminate through Igenex.

The Igenex testing was done about 10 days after the Stony Brook test.

I did the Stony Brook test first because my insurance paid for it. My LLMD was willing to treat me on the basis of my symptoms and the results of my brain SPECT, even without a test from Igenex.

However, I am very happy that I decided to take the Igenex test, as that provided much better evidence for my doctors.

Posts: 40 | From New York | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 6 WBs done at both Stonybrook and Igenex. I've had more positive bands from Stonybrook. I'm happy with that lab. If your doctor uses that lab, and they take your insurance, I'd say "go for it."

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See if they test for 16 bands. I think that is the number Igenex tests for.

You can contact Igenex and ask if you want to:

www.igenex.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 2 western blots done ON THE SAME DAY: one at Stonybrook and the other at IgeneX.

Stonybrook showed positive on 2 bands (39,41);Indeterminate on 2 bands (41,93). POSITIVE test result for Lyme.

IgeneX showed positive on 3 bands (18,39 and 41); Indeterminate on one (31). POSITIVE test result for Lyme.

So the positive test result was the same from both labs, although positive bands were slightly different.

Stonybrook also refers to some bands as "nonspecific" to Lyme. They do not show "weak positives" or 4-starred positives, only "positive".

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement