LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can dental work cause a lyme flare?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can dental work cause a lyme flare?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya'll know i had a lot of dental work done on monday. old bridge out, two fillings, temporary bridge put in. sat in chair from 1:45 till 4:00 with mouth open.

i am still in pain. but what's bothering me is my face is jerking, eyes twitching and i'm having pain in my upper teeth that goes into my jaw. my area behind my eyes, i guess you call it the tmj area, is really bad.

i am sore from below mye yes to my neck.

if i have to talk or chew it causes pain.

is this a lyme flare or just being sore from the dental work?

i am having to take 250 mg of vicodin every day adn i hate that.

while it wasn't surgery per se, i think the effect was the same -- detrimental to lyme patients!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any stressful event, medical or non-medical can result in a relapse. It just depends on your body. Sorry to hear about your recent experience!

--------------------
Bullsye rash: 1994, tx w/ ABT,
Symptomatic:1999
Hospitalization: 2004
Equivocol results (specialy lab) resulting in chronic use of ABT, herbs, etc ever since.
Severity of symptoms continue to worsen intermittingly.

Posts: 140 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi randibear, the last time I had dental work done, I started herxing as soon as the dentist injected my gums w/anesthetic. In my case, that means my eyes started drooping.

I think our mouths are full of Bb and/or the co's. I'm certain they're harbored in the root areas of the teeth. If you use one of the antimicrobial herbal products, like lemon oil, coconut oil, turmeric, fresh ginger, or others, you may find you herx just from holding it in your mouth. I will swish it around in my mouth as I would mouthwash and I herx. In fact that may be one of the things that oil pulling helps with.

I now try to do this at least on a daily basis, and my herxes have gotten to be smaller.

As an aside, I'd also like to mention for those of us w/osteoporosis, that our infection should definitely eliminate the biphosphonate drugs (Boniva, Reclast, etc) from our use, because of the risk of jaw necrosis. A study has shown that osteonecrotic jaw bones from patients who had been on biphosphonates demonstrated the presence of "biofilms" (sound familiar?) of microorganisms, and they believe that this is the cause of the necrosis. This places Lyme patients at high risk for jaw necrosis.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might find out if the numbing agent used contained Epinephrine. That will often make lyme much worse. You can ask for an "Epi-free" anesthetic next time.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had gas and three shots of novacaine. other than that, nothing.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask if the Novacaine had epinephrine is what Keebler is saying.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm allergic to epinephrine. uh, is that the stuff that you buy over the counter that's in all the cold medicine and stuff.

causes increased heart rate, difficulty breathing.

--------------------

merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats pseudophedrine (sp?)

epinepherine is used to help minimize bleeding. Its adrenaline basically

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

no i don't think he gave me anything like that. i didn't have any response to the novacaine other than pain from the initial shot.

i didn't bleed much tho. but man, i'm still sore.

and i dread going back on thursday.

--------------------

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were any amalgams disturbed/removed? Were the new fillings amalgams? Exposure to heavy metals can feel just like a lyme flare.

Holding the mouth open for that long alone can cause major problems. It can cause inflammation, sore muscles and mess with your bite. I had TMJ for a long time after one of my dental appointments.

A few months ago I had some extensive work done and my LLMD felt certain that I was so sick from it due to heavy metal release. This was despite the fact that I went to a biological dentist who took all the precautions.

My LLMD feels that doing one tooth at a time is the best way to go. In other words, limit your dental appointments so that you aren't doing a lot of work at one time.

Hope you feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement