LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alternative Babesia Tx OTHER Than Artemisinin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternative Babesia Tx OTHER Than Artemisinin?
Starphoenix
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a pickle.

I have a high load of Babs, but for various reasons (which would take pages to explain), I don't have access to appropriate medical care (really), nor could I take the typical Mepron/Zith, anyway, due to ABX issues and insurance denial.

Unfortunately, I seem to be one of the unlucky few with an allergy to Artemisinin. It's definitely not a herxheimer reaction. I've had itching, the feeling of my chest and throat closing, severe coughing and phlegm....I don't mean to "gross anyone out". Sorry.

I've heard that boneset tea can be dangerous. I'm not too familiar with Red Root. I think Andrographis may be helpful, but I'm not sure.

Meanwhile, I have a sluggish liver and severe sensitivities.

I have a Rife machine, but I know that Rife isn't as effective on co-infections as it is for Lyme due to the structure of the organisms. Plus, there are few frequencies for Babs.

I've been reinfected twice, despite precautions, in recent months. And I know I can't beat Lyme and Bartonella if I can't get Babs out of my system, or at least reasonably controlled.

Any help you might provide would be greatly appreciated!

I hope you have a restful and enjoyable holiday weekend. [Smile]

Starry

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try turmeric, the spice. Start with a small amount, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or less and see how you respond. It has powerful antibiotic qualities. Just buy the spice from the grocery store. There's no need to buy any special preparation of it. I started with something short of 1/4 teaspoonful once a day and am now at about 1/4+ teaspoonful 3 x/day.

Also try adding essential lemon oil to a drink or food. I really feel that these two things have strong antibiotic qualities on their own as well as help potentiate the effectiveness of regular antibiotics.

I've never heard that boneset tea could be dangerous. What is it supposed to do?

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Buhner (author of Healing Lyme) says on his blog to use Cryptolepis rather than Art.

Check out planetthrive!

http://planetthrive.com/2009/05/llmd-wants-to-know-why-cryptolepis/

Dear Stephen,
I just started cryptolepis as the first part of a regimen for Babesia duncani. I am helping educate one of my wonderful Lyme doctors about the Buhner Protocol as she is very open to utilizing more herbs. Her question is why you have made the change from artemisia (she uses artemisinin) to cryptolepis as the first herb of choice for Babesia. I have your book and CD but did not have an answer as to why you may prefer cryptolepsis, or at least for certain patients. What may I tell her? Also, is crypto as hard on the liver as artemisinin? I survived serious liver damage from Ketek in 2005 and have my liver enzymes checked very frequently, but my Lyme doctors and I try to choose antibiotics and herbs that are less hepatotoxic for me. Thank you.

Stephen's response:
Artemisinin is an isolated constituent, cryptolepis is a whole herb, as such it is better for the body and much harder for bacteria to develop resistance to--at this point malaria is developing a rapid resistance to artemisinin but not to cryptolepis. Artemisinin has more side effects, crypto much less--it is much safer for the liver, no side effects have been noted to its use. That is what I would use if I were you.

Stephen

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim DS got rid of babs for me. It is an old medication, so it doesn't cost much.

Maybe you could get a doc to prescribe it for you, if you are able to take it.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do a search for chloroquine or primaquine or riamet

they are available online, very inexpensive

pm me if you need to

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info, 17 hens! Thanks for posting that for everyone!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The herb elecampane may also be useful -- it is called Enula in the Cowden protocol.

Personally I don't think herbs alone will work -- would strongly advise herbs plus antibiotics.

Clindamycin and Quinine is another cheap combo.

I think it depends a lot on what strain of babs you have on how easy it is to get rid of.

Hubby was allergic to Mepron so he has tried many other things -- he has had initial improvement but relapsed on many different meds and herbs.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it is hard to believe but my practitioner claims that grapefruit seed extract (Agrisept) alone can get rid of babs. It seems to be doing so for me, but my case is not very bad. My night sweats are gone now, and I have been on GSE for 4 months. It also helps with candida.

My kids are on it and are holding their own after failing with a year of Mepron/artemisinin. My daughter's night sweats have gone but my boys still have them. But one was bitten by a tick infected with babesia this summer and the other got a bunch of mosquito bites, so that could be a big factor. Just to be sure with my boys, I have them both on Enula as well. One is taking Nutramedix Noni also, which showed through EDS testing that it worked on his babs (it didn't for his brother). Nutramedix Mora showed as hitting babesia in the other.

My kids have all taken cryptolepsis from woodland essance as well, and it tested as hitting their babs, but not curing it without the help of GSE. The crypto also tested as hitting bartonella, but needed help of Cumanda to get rid of it. My boys now have allergies to the crypto, so they no longer take it.

Well, that should give you a few options to try for babesia. If it were me, I would try the GSE along with whatever else you decide on since it is supposed to also help with both candida and lyme cysts.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you SO much, everyone! I've been afraid that I'd have to just give up, watch it progress, and die early. I've been through a lot these 25 years.

Psano: Turmeric. That's interesting! I bought some awhile ago, and it got buried in the back of a cabinet. I'll have to add that to my regimen. Thanks!

I think the issue with Boneset is liver toxicity, but I can't be certain. I have some liver issue that doesn't allow me to process drugs properly.

17 hens: Yowza!! I appreciate this very much! I copied it so I could save it in my email drafts file and print it for reference. I'm not at all familiar with Cryptolepis. Is there a good source for purchasing this product? What is a typical dosage? Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm desperate to get something ASAP. I have a severe case, and it's mixed forms. I'm without an LLMD (long story!), and I'm on my own. Well, I have my lovely friends here. [Smile] I haven't been here in awhile. I wish I could say it was because I was doing well and busy living life, but, alas, it was not.

TF: I got the very serious Stevens-Johnsons Syndrome with sulfa. I appreciate the suggestion, though!

Janet: I never heard of those options. I'm making a list so I can look into them. Thank you very much! What are typical doses of any of these?

Bea: I'm afraid I can't take any pharmaceutical antibiotics. Another long story! Thanks, though!

Tickbattler: GSE? No kidding! I have some. I take so many meds, and I know there can be interactions. I have to work this in for sure now! I'm glad your kids are faring well with it! What is a typical dose? I never heard of Enula. I've heard of Noni and Cumanda. I'll have to Google Nutramedix. I hate to ask this: what are typical doses? I'm so new to alternative treatment, and I'm in such desperate need. I've been reinfected twice since late April. My husband brought in the ticks after what appeared to be good precautions. We live 5.5 miles into the woods. We can't leave for at least a year. We've been here for seven.

You've all saved my life. I will rest easier (at least mentally!) tonight knowing I have your support, and being armed with all this knowledge now.

The Babesia here is very nasty. I had it before moving here, but it was never as bad as the form(s) I got here. Plus, the more I get reinfected, the weaker I become. I got a brown recluse bite two years ago, too. (I did see the spider.) I think I have both microti and duncani.

--------------------

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starphoenix, the questions may not apply to you but the answers do. Hope this helps! - hens

http://planetthrive.com/2010/05/cryptolepis-buchanani/

Dear Stephen,
I was able to locate Cryptolepis buchanani on the web in capsule form. Is ``Cryptolepis buchanani'' the same as ``Cryptolepis''? And what should be the dosage for fighting babesia? Thank you.

Stephen's response:
No, the herb I am using is Cryptolepis sanguinolenta, which is from Ghana. ... The only source I know for the form of herb I recommend is woodlandessence.com.

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/cryptolepis-during-antibiotic-treatment/

Stephen's response:
Ask Kate at woodlandessence.com what dose she recommends.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starphoenix
Riamet is a drug and you take three day course, with food and on time. **You must be aware of any dangerous interactions with macrolide etc and stop all other meds**. A couple of courses helped get my Babs under control.

I found Andrographis and Holy Basil, cinammon in hot water helpful too - check out traditional indian malaria cures.

Cryptolepsis and Enula did little for me, but maybe I didn't take a high enough dose?

I guess it's a matter of trying to see what your infection responds to.

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

17hens: Thanks! I emailed Kate. I ordered the smallest bottle of the crypto to see if I can tolerate it, and if it helps. I asked about typical dosage and titration for Babs.

Suki: Unfortunately, I can't take any drugs. I have no one who can prescribe them for me. I don't have an LLMD, and I cannot get one (due to geographical, financial, and insurance issues).

--------------------

Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Posting because I didn't know I had to use full form to get email notification.

--------------------

Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read a study that said that Green Tea in high dosages could kill Babesia. 10 cups per day, I think, plus Green Tea makes bacteria less resistant to antibiotics.

Also read Olive Leaf in high dosages is good against Babesia.

GSE is good, but I can't take it because of acid reflux.

I did read on one of Buhner's Q & A, that he was advising someone who really wanted to take Artemisinin, to take the whole herb. It is easier on the body, and with more phytochemicals, it is harder for bacteria to become resistant.

But, in your case, if you have an allergy, then that would definitely not be good.

I hope the above suggestions, some really good ones, can help

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Thanks, Rivendell!

I'm allergic to olive leaf extract and GSE, unfortunately. I forgot about the GSE. I took it again this week, and, yup, allergic. [Frown]

I couldn't take that much green tea. But I have the extract in a liver support supplement. I haven't started that yet, but I guess it will provide some help.

The whole herb, eh? Maybe I could tolerate that. Meanwhile, I ordered generic Riamet, which has another art derivative in it (Artemether, I think it's called) and some other anti-malarial). I canceled it at first because it can cause heart failure, dropping potassium and magnesium, too, I think, and I already have chronically low potassium. If you have slow heart rate (bradycardia), it shouldn't be taken. I suffer with that, too. I ended up un-cancelling it after all. I'm not gonna take it, though, without some monitoring from a primary care doctor. (I have no LLMD and cannot for various reasons.) I'm hoping to see a new primary soon. Once I do and discuss it with him (he's supposed to be open-minded), he could advise me about the Riamet, and if he approves me for taking it, he could monitor me. He may have suggestions. If, in the end, I can't take it whatsoever, I could donate it to another needy patient here.

I ordered three herbs (Enula, Cumanda, and Cryptolepsis) that may be helpful in the meantime.

I love all of you people!

--------------------

Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Oh, I forgot that I haven't heard back yet regarding Crypto dosage.

--------------------

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star - Glad you ordered those herbs. My children have taken all of those at the same time, so hopefully that will be fine for you as well. The Cumanda is very powerful and a good one to include.

The doses for Enula and Cumanda can be as high as 15 drops twice daily, or even higher. My pracitioner says that 10 drops Cumanda twice daily in water and 15 Enula twice daily is sufficient. Be sure to ramp up slowly. One drop twice daily the first day and then add one more drop each day. If you herx badly, then stay at the same dose until the herxing stops. You might consider getting Burbur from Nutramedix as a detox. It is normally given with the Nutramedix products.

Good luck with your new protocol!

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Thank you, my fellow Pennsylvanian! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement