LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to stop Lyme from reproducing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to stop Lyme from reproducing?
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the best way to prevent Lyme from reproducing? I know the obvious answer but I have read that Doxy can at certain doses.

I've also heard that for Doxy to kill bacteria it needs to be at 400 mg a day or greater.

What will 200 a day do?

Are there any other good options that will simply stop the reproduction cycle?

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I'm pretty new here and I don't know the obvoius answer, or at least I don't think I do. What is the obvious answer?
Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could help you. I've been sick since '85, and it's all still in production. Of course, I've also gotten reinfected at least five times.

I think if someone has the answer, they will become millionaires!

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kill them [Smile]

I have had a hard time tolerating abx and at this point would like to focus on stopping it from reproducing. I feel like I'm losing ground and would like to try to hold them back as much as I can until I get in to see new LLMD.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of abx only stop the bacteria from reproducing. That is why doxy has to be taken in high doses so that it also kills the bacteria.
The problem is the Bb takes the form of a cyst to avoid abx. It seems Bb is long lived with incredible survival mechanisms so stopping it from reproducing does not stop the disease. When the abx are quit, it just leaps into action again.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to wonder...if they say chronic lyme is not curable, then why not just take enough antibiotics that are bacteriostatic (inhibit growth but do not kill). Low dose doxy at 100-200mg/day, amox or ceftin?

I question myself if I should even be doing all these hard core IV drugs. It is super expensive, the PICC line is risky, not to mention with combined antibiotic protocal, there are more side effects in general.

I just dont know what the answer is... take low dose ABX to limit symptoms and replication, or take high dose and combined ABX to kill (but I cant be cured?) Anyone?

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Those are my thoughts too!!

I did the high dose multiple abx and felt AWFUL, now I'm on low dose and for the most part feel fine, but I am worried about losing ground and all of the reproducing that may be going on.

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing low dose doxy as my latest treatment. This after doing several other antibiotics at moderate doses. I have made my best progress on low dose doxy; but when I started it, I was told by my doctor that it was a long term commitement, meaning maybe a few years. I have been on it for a little over 1 year now.

If you stop the replication of the bacteria, it will eventually die out. I don't know the medical jargin; but it will live its natural life span and since its not replicating will die out. Also you have to consider that it can take time for it to saturate each and every tissue of the body in order to reach the spirochetes and stop the replication.

I personally think this has been the best treatment for me so far, and the easiest treatment for me to endure. I have made more progess on the low dose doxy, then I made on all the other antibiotics combined.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
While there is no cure, many do achieve a substantially stable remission.

ALL forms must be treated. That requires different medicines, some together, some at different times.

Doxy will not treat the cyst form. Doxy will cause the cyst form. But what treats the cyst form will not work on the spirochete form and visa versa. Doxy has its place but it's not enough, alone. Flagyl treats the cyst form but it needs doxy (or similar abx).

There are MANY forms of borrelia, not just the spirochete and the cyst, though. BIOFILM also figures into that.

Things to consider:
----------------------

-
Syphilis has 23 genes where Lyme has over 250. Borrelia can also insert its DNA into that of a host. Mitochrondial damage is another whole topic.

GiGi Posted this From Scott's notes of recent Lyme Conference:

Dr. K believes that comparing Lyme disease to syphilis is misleading.

** Syphilis has 23 genes where Lyme has over 250. **

It is like comparing "cabbage with a dog". Borrelia is a far more evolved organism.

He posed the question, "What if these bugs could exchange their DNA such that the gene responsible for producing a certain toxin was transferred to harmless bacteria in the oral cavity or in normal gut flora."

It becomes clear that these microbes are highly intelligent.

(GiGi / Scott)
----------------

The original quote is probably at one of these two sites:

http://betterhealthguy.com

http://www.publichealthalert.org

===========================

EVA SAPI, Ph.D. BORRELIA FORMS

Researcher Eva Sapi has some fascinating observations. It's not just the spirochete: Borrelia b. has many forms and, within those, dozens more.
--------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmvgOfIN_8c&feature=related

Excellent Video narrative with Eva Sapi.

ADRSupport -- April 03, 2010

This video is a 10 minute clip, part of a 70 minute interview with Dr. Sapi from the University of New Haven.

She is credited with being the first researcher to demonstrate that Lyme spirochetes can actually create their own complex biofilm community to survive indefinitely within their hosts; both human and animal. In May, the full transcript will be made available on the biofilmcommunity.org web site (See Expert Interview section)

============================

www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

============================

Rotation and timing can be everything, detailed here how the author and others have achieved a steady and lasting remission:

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (2008) - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment.

http://www.cureunknown.com

===============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/80718#000001

Marnie posted this thread: How did they CURE lyme in Romania

================================

And, as mentioned in posts above, lyme is not everything. Also to consider

COINFECTIONS (Tick-borne and other chronic stealth infections)

HEAVY METALS

CHEMICAL EXPOSURES

PORPHYRIA (of various types) & other kinds of LIVER STRESS

PARASITES

GLUTEN and other food intolerances derail treatment

etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read there is evidence that Bb can survive for years and perhaps even decades in the cyst form waiting for the opportune time to reemerge.

I guess you could take abx forever keeping it at bay in the cyst form but that would not eliminate it. You need to kill it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement