LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Aspirin OK for Hypercoagulation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aspirin OK for Hypercoagulation?
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read a number of times that Lyme sufferers have hypercoagulation tendencies. A recent blood test confirmed this in my case.

Most people over 40 are told by their doctors to take an aspirin or baby aspirin a day to keep the blood thin.

I also thought I recalled reading a while back (maybe it was on Cheney's notes for CFS) that people with CFS which encompasses EVB should not take aspirin. I don't remember why.

So the question is, is it OK for Lyme sufferers to take an aspirin a day, or is this a bad idea? Also, are there herbal alternatives?

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is aspirin will not work on fibrinogen... which causes hypercoagulation.

Lumbrokinase (Boluoke) will work.. or nattokinase.

You can take aspirin for inflammation or your heart.. but won't work for the above.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Aspirin can cause stomach bleeding, so it's really important to know of other choices, especially since many with lyme already have the lining of the stomach in intestines compromised.

An otherwise healthy friend of mine asked me to spread the word that one baby aspirin a day nearly killed him from bleeding of the stomach. He was in a coma for days, near death. The only reason he had been taking it was as a preventative. He did not drink, so that was not part of the equation. It was just the aspirin.

So, I share his experience. He's not been the only one to have that side effect, either.

Sadly, aspirin (and white willow bark) is also ototoxic - toxic to your ears (as per Bauman in book: "Ototoxic Drugs").

For anyone who has tinnitus, hyperacusis (sensitivity to even soft sounds) - or any degree of hearing loss - aspirin is to be avoided.

There are other choices for cardiac support that are not ototoxic. Some of those are discussed here:
------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read !
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Boluoke lumbrokinase seems like a great way to approach this problem. However, I herxed pretty bad the first time I took it, so now am only taking 1 per week, will gradually ramp up to 3 times a day.

I was pleased to have that experience, in a way--it seems like the stuff really works.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lumbrokinase will thin it out just be advised it can cause you to herx big time if it strips off biofilm and exposes a nest of ketes, my last two herx's have been the worst in almost 3 years of treating !

so I know its working !

another caution boluke brand has red dye in the capsules so if your allergic to red dye !! im just sayin !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: dye--I just purchased my Boluoke lumbrokinase recently and the capsules are clear with whitish powder inside. I don't think there's any red dye in them. Maybe they have changed this?
Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another handling for hypercoagulation is RECHTS-REGULAT. This is recommended by Dr. K in his writing on Lyme posted at Lymenet.

I tried it--and it definitely works better than any of the enzyme products (lumbrokinase, nattokinase, vitalzyme, etc., etc.) for hypercoagulation in my case.

I still take one enzyme product or another often, as these have other benefits relating to taking out biofilms and opening up blood vessels. My LLMD says that Lumbrokinase can actually reverse stroke damage, and that it's most effective on the brain.

Anyway, Rechts-Regulat works GREAT for thinning the blood out. Before I took it, I could hardly even get enough blood out for a blood test at the lab!

Bio-Pure carries it. Otherwise, you have to order it from Germany, which adds to the expense.

After taking it for a few weeks, you can cut back to a very small amount a day and it keeps the blood thinned out, in my experience.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a blood clot around my picc line after only 4 days of having it placed. My LLMD put me on warfarin. I was already on nattokinase. He puts everyone on nattokinase. I have to have my blood levels checked every week while on warfarin.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I also forgot to mention, I asked the Vascular MD that found my blood clot if I could just take aspirin instead of warfarin...do they do the same thing? and he said no, aspirin would not work.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks everyone for all the great info.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sillia:
[QB] re: dye--I just purchased my Boluoke lumbrokinase recently and the capsules are clear with whitish powder inside. I don't think there's any red dye in them. Maybe they have changed this?

Yes, they USED TO BE red capsules.

jwall... warfarin (coumadin) is way stronger than aspirin. If you've had clotting problems, then your dr is going to want to get out the big guns.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aspirin will tear the gut up!
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting....
My LLMD told me baby asprin and I knew better and got Nattokinase instead.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement