LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Clindamycin and C.Difficile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clindamycin and C.Difficile
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of scary stories out there about Clindamycin and C.Dif, but I wonder......how many people have ACTUALLY had this problem whilst on Clindamycin?

Is it really going to cause more trouble than all the other truck loads of antibiotics that I have been taking for years, or is this an urban myth?

I would hate to miss out on taking a potentially helpful med for babesia, when the risk is really not that high after all.

Anyone been there on this one?

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a definite connection and it's trouble for many.

but I took clindamycin/quinine off and on for 2 yrs... no c.diff ...

That said, c.diff is more prevalent these days... so you can't feel totally safe.

Have you tried artemisinin and zithromax yet?

PS.. You can take saccromyces boulardi to protect against c.diff.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on it a couple of months and ok so far. I am noticing some flares of severe fatigue and headaches then slow but steady improvements.

As Lymetoo said, make sure you take saccharomyces boulardi when you take your other probiotics. Florastor is saccharomyces boulardi but there are less expensive ones.

I am taking the Florastor because I bought 2 bottles before I knew about the cheaper ones.

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
often times, c diff starts once stopping abx. Strangly enough, the abx that cause it, sort of control it, if that makes sense.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how would you know if you have c diff? I am starting clindamycin next month.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would get diarrhea, and abdominal cramps, sometimes nausea and fever as well as a nasty smell. You can have it mildly without diarrhea and smell as well. Make sure you take Florastor! Clindamycin is the # 1 offender for c.diff and I would NEVER take it for Lyme or babesia treatment when there are alternatives available that work better. [bonk]

www.wildcondor.com/toughbug

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should be ok on clindy and quinine if you dont do it for more than ten days straight.

my llmd had me do 10 days then switch to biaxin and plaquinil for ten days

then repeat both cycles 1 more time for a total of 20 days on each med!

ask your llmd to have flagyl as your next med after doing this combo flagyl kind of keeps c diff at bay !

make sure you take nystantin and a good quality probiotic seperated by two hours from the abx and you should be fine.

I have done that combo twice with no problems at all other than its a nasty herx !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why my LLMD (who is considered one of the best LLMDs) uses clindamycin?? I have read that he discovered that some of his toughest cases responded really well to clindamycin. I am on IV treatment. I do take sacro-B.

Does it go away on its own...or would I just have to stop clindamycin to get it to go away?

Great, another thing to worry about...I will have to ask him next week. How much sacro-B do I need to take? right now I take the Jarrow brand x 2/day.

I will be pulsing clindamycin, along with another IV antibiotic...and adding in a couple oral abx too. I wonder if this going to be too hard on my system?!

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite a few great LLMD's use clindamycin/quinine because it works and is much cheaper than mepron.

jwall.. Are you taking a regular probiotic PLUS the s.boulardi??

Just make sure you don't take Nystatin or Diflucan while on s.boulardi. It will kill the sb.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

I am taking probiotics and eat plain yogurt and drink coconut water kefir every day. I take sacro-B too. I will be taking flagyl at the end. I will be pulsing it, so it will end up being 9 days/month on clindamycin. Thank you so much for the heads up!
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is what Dr. J is using with mixed results. There are other options like malarone for babesia + artemesia.

I would take 2 Florastor daily while on antibiotics and probiotics as tolerated. Please be very careful.

C.diff can go away by itself after you stop antibiotics but usually you need treatment for it and it interrupts your Lyme treatment. Sometimes you can never take antibiotics again once you get c.difficile. Each case is different but it is a very toxic germ and you have to be very aware, especially with high risk clindamycin.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Surely Dr. J would know about this risk with clindamycin??!! Well, I will ask at my next appt. I don't think he is using it for babesia, but rather, for lyme treatment?? Or maybe to hit babesia and lyme. I have no idea!

I believe I will be on it a total of 9 days and a 9 day break in between...another 9 days and that's it, but I'm not sure about that either!

How would one know if diarrhea is from c.diff or from normal abx tummy problems. I got horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea when I was taking oral zith and doxy a few months ago.

Thank you for the information!

Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definately got c diff/colitis within a week of starting clindamycin last year.....but i have had colitis before so dont know if i was more suseptable......

i now have it on my allergy list......you'll know it once it starts...........

but not everyone is affected by it......lots of people take clindamycin fine aslong as you are protecting your stomach.......

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had c. diff after stopping biaxin.

the smell is horrendous. i was going 10 or 15 times a day with severe abdominal cramps.

also i had burning diahhrea, so bad it scalded me. i cried when i had to go, it was that painful.

that's why i'm never touching another abx again and hoping i don't have to.

i got another mild case of c. diff (if it ever can be considered mild) after having been put on flagyl for diverticulitis.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is Clindamycin so often given with Quinine?

Does it have to be?

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clindamycin helps prevent babesia from being resistant while on quinine .

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Would Clindamycin+Plaquenil be as good?
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on IV clindamycin for ten months, every two weeks for seven days. I love this drug, and have had great success in combination with other babesia/lyme drugs.

Initially, took clindy orally and got the stomach ache and diarrhea, and had to stop (not c-difficile). Conversely, have had NO side effects from IV clindy.

There are many people who use IV clindamycin for autoimmune diseases (www.roadback.org). It is a commonly used, and well-tolerated drug in IV form.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement