LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » M.E./CFIDS or Lyme disease: Immune system tests?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: M.E./CFIDS or Lyme disease: Immune system tests?
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 5 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I asked my doctor if she could do some more exploratory tests on my immune system, as I have very classic M.E./CFIDS and know that the immune dysfunction part of it is hindering my ability to get well and tolerate treatments for the Lyme disease.

She ultimately agreed, and now I'm having tests done on things like my Natural Killer Cells and CD4/CD8 ratios, which are supposed to be the most frequently reported abnormalities with M.E./CFIDS.

I was also reading in the Burrascano guidelines that Lyme can cause similar abnormalities with NKC, within the CD-57 category? Has anyone here had that test, and did it come back abnormal?

She is also doing things like a lymphocyte mitigen screen, and some other tests I know little about.

I'm not having a good night and don't really know what I'm asking... But I read in the B. guidelines as well that Lyme can affect the T and B cells somehow, too... I'm just hoping to find some answers and "proof" so more doctors will listen to me.

With both M.E. and Lyme being systemic, infection-based diseases, I would expect some similarities between the abnormalities that commonly show up. If anyone has any input on these similarties and differences, I'd like to hear them, especially if they relate to what I could expect to see on my lab results...or of course, if you've have these tests yourself.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble [dizzy]

little olive

[ 09-11-2010, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: little_olive ]

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to see your results. Please post them.

Another possibility is that you have that new virus. Apparently some lyme patients are testing positive for it too. I am wondering if these are the ones with severe fatigue, since not all of us have that.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump...

lou: I would be happy to share my results, especially if it can help anyone else with their journey.

If XMRV/HGRV ends up being the cause of M.E., and I have the most classic presentation of M.E. I think you can get, then there's an extremely high chance of me having that retrovirus. Therefore I'm glad to be getting my CD4/CD8 counts looked at, if it can possibly be a hint to things as it is with HIV. I will be having the XMRV/HGRV test as soon as it becomes covered by insurance.

Personally I think severe fatigue is more or less a co-infection problem than a Lyme disease problem; even having M.E./CFIDS fatigue is not a prominent symptom as much as muscle weakness.

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NK cells will probably be way more telling than the CD4/CD8 ratios. This is a completely different type of retrovirus than HIV, so you're not looking for HIV patterns. Low NK cell count and cytotoxicity is classic ME/CFS though.
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what lab are you using for nk cells?

thanks..

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is even if you have abnormal tests what will the doc do with that information? Will it change your treatment plan in any way?

Some of these tests can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Hubby had some of this testing done when he was undiagnosed back in 2001 - 2003. CD4/CD8 ratio was off -- but at that time he didn't have any positive tests even for common viruses and his WBC was normal so even the alternative medicine docs didn't know what to do.

We didn't get any useful info from the tests -- sure wish I had some of that money back now to pay for IV antibiotics.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
The problem is even if you have abnormal tests what will the doc do with that information? Will it change your treatment plan in any way?

Some of these tests can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Hubby had some of this testing done when he was undiagnosed back in 2001 - 2003. CD4/CD8 ratio was off -- but at that time he didn't have any positive tests even for common viruses and his WBC was normal so even the alternative medicine docs didn't know what to do.

We didn't get any useful info from the tests -- sure wish I had some of that money back now to pay for IV antibiotics.

Bea Seibert

Well, I am having CFIDS/ME testing done with 100% coverage on ALL tests and labs with a doctor with 25 years of experience with the disease. Yes, that's basically when CFIDS/ME started.

I think the doctor has been using a Chinese anti-malarial called Artesunate (a semi-synthetic derivative of artemisinin) for inhibiting the retrovirus (even before XMRV was discovered). It's about 4x more powerful than artemisinins I believe.

I'm not sure if he is using Artesunate, but that's what Cheney is using (at least until clinical trials complete). He seems to follow a lot of what Cheney does. Though I have heard negative things about Artesunate and long term use.

I'm also getting useful tests back that are nearly incontrovertible evidence of disability.

I want to be better, but it would be nice to have some of my own money until I am able to work.

So am I wasting money? No. I am getting a useful evaluation 100% covered. In fact, this may help me financially. And yes, it seems like it very well may change my treatment plan.

What do you think makes Epstein-Barr virus go chronic?

What do you think makes Lyme and co go chronic? Why is it so hard to get rid of in some people?

I don't know the answers to those questions, but I think it chronic Lyme could be tied to a retrovirus. Perhaps that's part of the reason chronic Lyme is controversial. Because it's only a "small" subset of patients with complaints of chronic illness.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi m0joey, actually I wasn't particularly searching for HIV patterns, but wanted those tests based on that they already frequently show abnormalities with M.E. [Wink] I'm not sure why that is, but if they're both retroviruses (possibly, that is), that could explain why they happen to be similar. I'm curious as to what will come up, regardless. How does cytotoxicity show up in a test?

R62: The bloodwork is being sent via Quest, off to California (or at least that's what the lab tech told me). I know I had to specifically go to a lab that dealt with Quest.

Bea: I'm sorry your labwork didn't prove useful. I'm more or less hoping this will prove to the doctors that I am not as "normal" as they think; whenever they ask me what type of immune dysfunction I have, I do not have anything on paper to show them! Then they don't believe me, and don't take me seriously. [shake] If something significant shows up in my results, maybe the next time I end up in the ER due to infection, they will understand why seemingly minor pathogens have such terrible consequences for me. Since getting Lyme and everything else, it's only gotten worse. I've been disabled for a very long time, and with that, at least I do have coverage for these tests, as long as they're warranted. And for me, they are.

kday: You know, someone just posted here on one of these posts about how it's actually the WEAKER strains of Lyme that end up causing problems because they don't invoke a strong enough immune response and thus aren't effectively killed off at the onset. That lets them wiggle around to the organs without even being detected, and "set up camp." I thought it made a lot of sense, and could be a major reason why some cannot get rid of it. It's long since been known that different strains of Lyme cause different types of disease, but that was a really good explanation of WHY. I doubt it's all tied to retroviruses.

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, little olive.. interesting about the weaker strains of lyme.
Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Of course, R62. [Smile]

Hi again everyone, I just got ahold of the complete list of tests she ordered for me so I thought I would share:

Immunoglobulins (E, A, M, G)
Immunoglobun G Subclass Panel
CBC & CMP
Sed Rate
Steptococcus Pneumonia IGG antibody
Diptheria Antitoxoid Antibody
Tetanus Antitoxoid Antibody
Haemophilus Influenza Type B Antibody
C4C
Lymphocyte Mitigen Screen
Lymphocyte Subset Panel

I barely know what most of these even ARE! [Eek!]

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get results little_olive? I was just reading this post as I was searching for more info. on CFIDS/ME.

Anyhow, I saw your initial question about the CD-57 test and yes, mine came back abnormal. My result was 24 - very low. This was a piece of the puzzle when putting together my lyme diagnosis. I also tested IGM positive. I believe you want this test done through labcorp though, not Quest.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Oh my, I'm sorry.

Yes, my IgG subclasses 2, 3, and 4 are deficient; my Complement C4 is borderline (low), my CD4 count is elevated, and my sed rate is.. 5?

I did not have the CD57 test, not knowing if it truly had relevance.

My lymphocytes were actually very activated, suggesting fighting something? I tend to think of viruses but I know lymphocytes/natural killer cells protect against other types of intruders as well. I'm not sure if their function was measured, but I do know that I have a relatively increased number of them, [lol]

I was rather relieved to see that, I just hope it means my body is trying, especially in comparison to two years ago when it was just sitting there, being attacked and not responding at all [Frown] (I also wonder if this attack-mode has anything to do with my new herbs? Because they do help me a great deal.)

Unfortunately, even if it's useful for me, these things are minor to most physicians (not abnormal enough to warrant their attention) so I doubt I've completed my task of getting something significant that others can understand... sigghhh!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement