LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What does Air Hunger Feel like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does Air Hunger Feel like?
17yrsAndCouting
Member # 27961

Icon 5 posted      Profile for 17yrsAndCouting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen this topic come up many times but I wonder if someone could tell me just what is feels like? I've been short of breath for years since being sick and it's worse when I try and do something.. Heart tests check out OK etc.. Thanks
Posts: 5 | From South East USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You feel like you can't breathe! And, in fact, you can't breathe very well at all. That's my experience. It's awful. It feels like it takes more energy to breathe than I have, and I can't get a good breath in. Babesia!
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, it feels like my chest is tight and I get out of breath when walking around, going up steps.

I feel like I have to keep taking deep breaths but they don't really help.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it felt like I was not getting enough oxygen from the cells not able to function properly.

Your heart rate fluctuates, you feel like you are hyperventilating at times to try to get more in,

and you feel like you need something to help---but many don't know what...

For me replacing electrolytes helped a lot.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropisces
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The air hunger I've had is a lot different than these two previous descriptions. Air hunger is one of the symptoms that really scared me.

Air hunger was for me a process in which I would take a breath, and it was as though nothing happened. Then you panic because you've already expanded your diaphram yet you feel like you desperately need another huge breath.

Posts: 152 | From West Palm Bech, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me its not being able to take a deep breath. the kind you take when you yawn. i fill my lungs up but the air doesnt seem to go anywhere. just like anthropisces says. Its something i have had on and off for years but have learned to cope with it. The more you panic and the more you try to breathe the worse it gets.
Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChristieL
Member # 27786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChristieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it feels like not being able to breath in air.
I had no clue (till joining) that this could be
a sign of illness.
It happens most often when I first get up.
I feel like no air is reaching my lungs, like
something is blocking the air, its very very
hard not to panic.
When I first got this, I remembered the movie
"Hand that rocks the cradle" and how the mom
had bad asthma, what she looked like, is how it
feels to me, except I do not have asthma.
And I have had this when there is no reason to be
out of breath, like upon wakening,etc. Prior to
Lyme DX-they told me this was a "panic attack"~
Which it sounds similiar to, but I KNEW I was
not having a panic attack.
(Same as anxiety, happening when I stumble out of bed to go potty at 2 or 3 am)

Posts: 41 | From Springdale Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me like some of the others I get the breath but it just feels like no oxygen was obsorbed and I still need air
Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17yrsAndCouting
Member # 27961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17yrsAndCouting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You everyone for responding, I appreciate it..
Posts: 5 | From South East USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiredmama
Member # 27504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiredmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is very similar to what anthropisces and weldsteve posted.

Trying to "make" myself yawn seems to be the only way I can eventually get some relief. Opening your mouth *wide* and continue taking short breaths, sitting up very straight to give your diaphragm as much room as possible, stretching your neck up and fake yawing basically until you reach the point of a real yawn. Sometimes, then I can get enough air to relieve this terrible feeling.

Posts: 42 | From St. Louis, MO | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement