LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sick From Doxycycline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sick From Doxycycline
summer22
Member # 27913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summer22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the doxy making me sick?

On 200 mgs per day since Wedn.

It seems I can't handle taking the morning dose on an empty stomach.

Friday morning I vomited after I took it.

This morning I became very ill.

Like I was going to pass out.

My body felt extememly hot and I was nauseus.

I ate something then had to go to sleep.

Does this happen to anyone? I would think it would be too soon for a herx, right?

Thanks!

Posts: 70 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy doesn't agree with everyone. You really should take it with food. Not every bad reaction is a herx and feeling physically ill is a sign to me that you should switch meds. Ceftin is much easier to handle and very effective.

My daughter suffered for an entire month on this med. In and out of emergency rooms. We kept getting told it was a herx and to tough it out.

It wasn't until we read this information that we decided to stop.

http://www.medications.com/se/doxycycline-hyclate/heart-attack

Once we started with Ceftin, everything changed and she started improving. Adding Flagyl is what made all the difference.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy must be taken with food! I take mine in the middle of a big meal and it doesn't make me sick.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is important to eat something substantial before taking Doxy. Do not have any dairy, magnesium, or iron products within two hours of taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. What helped me was to have some kind of protein with bread.

Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is very painful. Make sure you drink a full glass of water with it also for the same reason.

Doxy can cause severe sunburn even when wearing sunscreen, so be very careful.

Try eating something substantial before taking it, and see if it helps. Good luck.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to eating with it - be careful not to become dehydrated!

I ended up needing IV fluids when on doxy, before I knew better. Dehydration will make you feel horrific.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
made me super sick,
throwing up constantly!
switched to mino
much easier for me

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
organictexan
Member # 27653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for organictexan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need detox support when taking doxycycline, your liver and kidneys cannot handle the bacteria die off. I have used Metagenix brand "Renagen" detox support for the kidneys and "AdvaClear" - taking these prior to taking the doxy I had very few herx symptoms. If I did NOT take them prior, I was deathly ill.

I now take Nutramedix Parsley and Pinella, 8 drops of each, together in about 2 ounces of water, let it sit for a minute, then drink. I do this 30 minutes before brekfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime. Also L-Glutithione under the tongue 30 minutes before breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime. In addition, you can take the L-Glutithione every 10 minutes under the tonge as needed until you feel better. It is a very powerful antioxidant. I also take 1000 mg of vitamin c, 30 minutes before breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Posts: 15 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It upsets my stomach really bad....

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by summer22:
This morning I became very ill. Like I was going to pass out. My body felt extememly hot and I was nauseus.

Those are the symptoms you get before passing out. Doxy is a graet antibitoic but you have to take it with a small meal! And do not lie down for at least half an hour to prevent heart burn.

It will be okay, just take it the right way [Smile]

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I used capsules rather than tablets, the nausea was too much for me. Make sure they are giving you tablets.
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy2
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Doryx, the coated version of Doxy. won't bother your stomach.

Nancy

Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it's better to take on an empty stomach to absorb the full dose, I can't handle it. I become wretchedly sick.

But when I take with food, I have no problems at all. Hope this works for you. Good luck.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summer22
Member # 27913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summer22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great advice.

They are capsules and it says on bottle to take on empty stomach.

I would have called dr but it was the weekend.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 70 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't take doxy on an empty stomach without throwing up. It was a miserable experience. I always tried to take it w/food, but sometimes I'd be in a hurry and forget. yuck. Along with the terrible sunburn I'd get while on it, doxy is one of my least favorite drugs.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summer22
Member # 27913

Oh boy. You too, huh?

I took it this morning with toast and egg and I was fine.

Dr. said I can take it with toast but I added a little egg on it.

And to my surprise I felt ok.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sutherngrl:
Doxy must be taken with food! I take mine in the middle of a big meal and it doesn't make me sick.

YES!!!!! Take it with food if you want to keep your stomach!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS.. Doryx really is much easier on the stomach.. but rather pricey.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like others have mentioned, always take it with food. Just don't drink milk or calcium foods at the same time.

Are there any generic versions of Doryx available yet? Or perhaps empty enteric coated capsules for purchase anywhere?

Seems insane that they charge several hundred dollars for the same medicine, using an enteric capsule that probably costs .10 to make.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement