LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How early is my LD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How early is my LD?
lmi88
Member # 28095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lmi88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to LymeNet and the discussions, but have been reading up as much as possible. Please forgive me for any lapses in etiquette! [Wink]

I received a clinical diagnosis of Lyme 4 days ago based on: 1 week camping in an LD-endemic area; followed by 1 week of apparent good health; then 1 week of very severe "flu" incl aches, pains, fatigue, sore throat, dry cough, headache, eye pain; then 2 weeks of crippling, excruciating knee and back pain, persistent low-grade fever, and fatigue. No known tick bite or EM.

Only test result: negative Western Blot IgG 1.5 weeks ago (2-3 weeks into possible infection). Commercial laboratory, and all I know is "negative."

Awaiting: WB IgM and ELISA for Lyme, from same commercial laboratory. (And Bab and Ehrl, I think.)

PCP put me on 7 days of Doxy, 100 mg, 2/day, 4 days ago. (I know now this is too short; I will talk to her but doubt I can persuade her to give more than 21 days.)

In the 3-4 days leading up to the diagnosis last week, my pain and fever were letting up a bit and I thought I'd turned a corner. In the last half week, however, the pain has gotten 10x worse, and I've been running a persistent 99.2-100.2 fever in the afternoons. I haven't been able to leave the house. (This started just prior to taking doxy and has continued while on the doxy.)

Anyway, I'm giving all this info for this one reason - assuming others are in agreement that this is LD, could anyone please give me their opinion about how early we're catching this awful awful disease? Am I too late? Potentially 5 weeks in? I'm simply terrified that I'll be this debilitated forever because we didn't catch it soon enough. Please, any experiences, anecdotes, advice, encouragement, or even brutally honest opinion about the likelihood of recurrence, would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance, everyone - I'm trusting in your collective wisdom. You're all very brave and strong, and I wish you good health.

LMI

Posts: 3 | From NYC | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you are 5 weeks into, that is probably considered disseminated, but not chronic according to Dr B. You are ahead of the game, but 200mg doxy/day is too low and treatment needs to be much longer so you avoid what all of us are dealing with.

If your western blot is negative, it means nothing. I had a tick bite and positive elisa, but my western blot did not turn positive until 4 months later and that was only IGM. The CDC's criteria are insane...I would suggest you see an LLMD. Best wishes

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read this?

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/BurrGuide2008.pdf

to find a local support group click on the below link & select a state

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I would read Dr. B's Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines.

Second, you need more doxy. 200 mg twice daily is typical, and I was only 123 pounds when I took it.

I would also get to a Lyme literate physician to be sure you're treated properly and you CAN beat this. Don't put it off until you're chronic. It will be expensive, but cheaper than waiting.

I had it very badly and was a chronic case, bedridden .... I am well today. You can get better, but be active now. Good luck.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lmi88
Member # 28095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lmi88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kimmie: Thank you. Ugh. In my head I've wanted to think that because it's all felt so sudden and there's been no lab test, it's localized/early/no big deal. I'm new to it all, and to ill health generally, and have never needed to question a doctor. It's been quite the mind-switch for me.

I'll talk to my PCP, see if she will give me more for now, and look for an LLMD in the meantime. Thank you for the response, again.

janet: I have. I think maybe up til now, when I started getting so fearful because of the severity of what I'm experiencing, I just haven't wanted to believe I'm sick and that the guidelines apply to me or that I'm going to have to fight against the medical establishment. Especially when I see how much the chronic sufferers are going through - what I'm experiencing doesn't hold a candle to that, I know.

I'll read it all again before I talk to my PCP tomorrow. And I'll look for a support group. Thank you.

Posts: 3 | From NYC | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are lots of Lyme drs in NY, some of the best. A local support group should be able to help you.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, just wanted to let you know that catching it early is a good thing. If you can get to a Lyme literate doctor asap, your chances of complete recovery will increase.

I was about 5-7 weeks from initial exposure before I started treating. I started aggressive treatment July 7, 2010....am still treating today. All symptoms gone except for elbow, arm, muscle, wrist pain.

Please get to a LLMD right away. We will be your support group. Don't give up & follow the links given to you to find out what your next move should be.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChristieL
Member # 27786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChristieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your story about the "pain" sounds a lot like my case, pm me if you want~~
When I got my DX (diagnosis) I was happy.. I did
not know at that time the hell that was waiting.
Please, please.. make an appt TODAY with a LLMD.
You may "feel" better, but if you do not treat
this now.. and aggressively, you are going to get
worse.
It could be days, or weeks or months..
You sound like me.. I NEVER accept that I am sick.
This (lyme and who knows what else) has changed
my whole life. I was so unprepared for what I went through.
Your local docs do NOT get it, trust me even the
ones that are ordinarily awesome.. dont get it.
Save yourself from what so many of us have gone
through, and are still "living" through.
See a LLMD ASAP~~
From what you have said about timing, if you see an LLMD, they will test you correctly, for lyme
AND co-infections, and make sure you ABX is
enough.
I waited too long.. and my body, my life, is paying the price.
I am not trying to scare you, but you asked for
honesty.. run to an LLMD. Even if you are feeling
better.. this thing can play hide and seek.
Don't take ANY chances.
I wish you the very best~

Posts: 41 | From Springdale Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightMoon
Member # 26717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MidnightMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi....Glad you pm'd me as i no longer am using this board. and otherwise would have not known had it not come into my private email. I am sending you the info you requested. It does sound like lyme and.or coinfections because antibiotics make the pain and flu symptoms worse. I hope you get (quickly) to one of the great drs. in the area.. dont be scared........they'll help you. Michele

--------------------
The closer you get to G-D The closer He'll get to you.

Be who you are, and say what you feel...the people who matter don't mind...and the people who mind , don't matter.

Posts: 98 | From In the woods by a stream in beautiful Catskills NY | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take everyone's advice above. If you are in NY you may get lucky and find an LLMD that accepts insurance. I was infected 5/3/10 and started the right dose of Doxy on 8/13/10 (3 1/2 months). I took 200mg of doxy a day from my primary starting on 7/26/10 so I had started something 2+ months in and am still taking doxy and now flagyl. I have made great progress since the beginning but wish I caught it earlier since there are still days I feel pretty awful and can't imagine ever feeling completely "normal" again but the time will come. Do what you can to get twice as much doxy into your system and make an appointment with an LLMD soon.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement