LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone get a reaction to alcohol?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone get a reaction to alcohol?
summer22
Member # 27913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summer22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were at a party on Saturday and I had a glass of wine.

After a few sips I felt so sick. I normally love that kind of wine.

Could not drink it.

Same thing happened with a beer I had a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone else have this?

Posts: 70 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Nearly EVERYONE has had this happen.

That's why I'm sorry to hear that your LLMD did not tell you to totally avoid alcohol. Maybe in your first appointment, it just got skipped over.

So, yes, now you know that it's a common reaction and actually one of the first clues when someone is starting to realize that their body has drastically changed, even they have not yet figured out lyme is the main reason. The lyme toxins do that. Liver damage and nerve damage from lyme are woven into that, too.

More details to follow. I'll be back with some links to help you from here. Glad you figured this out fairly early on, though.
-

[ 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your liver can only do so much detox.

It is busy breaking down all of the drugs you are likely taking too.

Most drugs are processed thru our liver, but some go thru the kidneys.

Women make less of an enzyme that breaks down alcohol...normally.

Which is why men can usually drink us gals under the table.

All of our enzymes need Mg to be made....somewhere along the line.

When Mg levels drop...this becomes a big problem...less enzyme to breakdown the alcohol.

Red wine? Headache?

Ahhh...tannins.

The Romans used to eat almonds before their "celebrations"...

Do you know what alcohol does to proteins?

Yes...Bb's but OURS too!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, these links may be a sort of "Scared Straight" approach, yet, each one helps us to understand WHY alcohol can be devastating to someone dealing with such a life-threatening and toxic infection.

I think it helps to know HOW & WHY. And, I really don't even get into how the liver works here. That's another long explanation but basically, the health of our liver will be one of the most important determining factors in the level of success we are able to achieve.

==================================
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Sections regarding self-care:

From page 27:

CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED IF LYME SYMPTOMS ARE TO BE PERMANENTLY CLEARED:

1. Not allowed to get behind in sleep, or become overtired.

2. No caffeine or other stimulants that may affect depth or duration of sleep, or reduce or eliminate naps.

3. Absolutely no alcohol!

. . . [more details at link above]

=====================

This explains that lyme is one of the most toxic infections known to man - and that stresses all body systems to the max:

www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allen

EXCERPT:

. . . A discovery of great importance relating to a toxin produced by the causative agent of Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi, has been linked to a similar toxin produced by the organism Clostridium botulinum (botulism). . . .

- Full article and great photos at link above.

=====================

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections (such as Cpn).

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

THE POTBELLY SYNDROME: HOW COMMON GERMS CAUSE OBESITY, DIABETES, and HEART DISEASE - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

======================

See the "Secondary Porphyria" article first - just one way alcohol causes more liver stress but not the only way.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA Thread

======================

A helpful search: "Hepatic Encephalopathy" and "Lyme Encephalopathy"

"Fatty Liver Disease" is also relevant and it's important to know that lyme greatly increases the risk of developing diabetes. The sugars in alcohol can blast that increased risk to a quick reality.

============================

To put the seriousness of lyme in perspective, Botulism is one of the most toxic infections known to man.
-----------------

www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allen

EXCERPT:

. . . A discovery of great importance relating to a toxin produced by the causative agent of Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi, has been linked to a similar toxin produced by the organism Clostridium botulinum (botulism). . . .

=======================

Alcohol also can severely damage (perhaps even to a point beyond repair) an already damaged endocrine system.

Remember that lyme really messes up the HPA axis (Hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal network). The pituitary has much to do with weight/growth. Mess up any part of the endocrine system and other parts suffer, too.

See page 4 where Dr. Burrascano describes a bit about the considerations of the dysfunction with the HYPOTHALAMIC-PITUITARY AXIS

===========================

Lyme can be fatal. So can other tick-borne infections. Alcohol use can increase chances for failed treatment (which, even in the best of circumstances and the with the very best of self-care is not always a guarantee).

You want treatment to have a chance. Even with the best treatment, not everyone makes it. You don't want your name to land here:
--------------

http://www.lymememorial.org/

The National Lyme Disease Memorial Park Project

========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/16292

Lyme Disease Obituaries

============================

Alcohol can eat away at the lining of the stomach, and that causes all sorts of complications.

It's also very important to recognize that the presence of alcohol in the stomach - and in the body - totally changes the chemical make up of medicines. They are simply not the same anymore. And that will greatly derail any chance for the most successful treatment possible.

For most who are in a successful remission for a while, if they choose to do so, a small glass of wine or a good quality beer a couple times a week can be enjoyed. But, that's after being in a good solid remission for a couple of months.

For now, most of us would rather not have the sledge hammer effects from even a little booze. We'd rather feel at least as good as possible during this challenging time - and increase our chances for success.

You also need to know that if you think you can get away with a little at a friend's wedding, someone's birthday or a holiday - that can set you back irreparably. Spirochetes do not recognize your best mate's birthday, or yours.

Every day, every minute, spirochetes will take advantage of our failures or even of our understandable weaknesses or lapses in judgment. We can't let them do that.

So, where ever we can, we just don't give them the chance. We can control our inner terrain and our surrounding environment as much as possible to move forward in healthful behavior.
-

[ 09-13-2010, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, alcohol intolerance is common in Lymies. I was well for many, many months before I could tolerate it again .... I had to wait for my liver to catch up with the illness and the drugs I had taken.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i drink alcohol sometimes.. my llmd said .. its ok when i do it SOMETIMES and not much.. that means 1-2 beers.

every 2 months 1 drink 3-4 beers or so.. i think its ok as long as all blood results are ok..

im not symptomfree.. but i think u should try to enjoy your life too..

[Smile]

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think any LLMD who agrees to alcohol consumption is doing so just because they know the patient would do it anyway. Now, it may be that one patient is to a point where they might be able to handle a little but my guess is that doctor would not tell all patients that.

Most LLMDs are very strict regarding "absolutely no alcohol" because it's a huge risk of treatment failure.

Summer,

For anyone to be knocked out and hung over from a couple sips of wine - as you are - that means that your body simply can't handle it now and probably won't be able to for some time to come. I'm all for enjoying life. And there are many fabulous ways to do that while being mindful of you health.

So, yes, enjoy. Enjoy what nourishes.
-

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From p. 17 of the Burrascano Guidelines:

"There are three things that will predict treatment failure regardless of which regimen is chosen: Noncompliance, alcohol use, and sleep deprivation."

This is a pretty strong statement, made by the lyme disease guru of the world.

Not worth it.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intolerance to alcohol was one of my first symptoms 15 years ago(and I used to be a kahlua girl), I can't even handle the alcohol from tinctures or desserts.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1296981/

While beer may contain histamine, it also apparently increases our serum Mg levels and Mg is an anti-histamine.

Is it coming OUT of our cells...remember Mg is attached to our ATP as Mg-ATP.

Is EXTRAcellular Mg helpful or harmful? How do we drive Mg back into the cells (hint: increase ATP).

Okay...once again...we need to look at the TOTAL nutrients in foods/beverages to figure out how they work TOGETHER.

Which is what happened with garlic.

We know garlic is healthy. But we tried to figure out the "protective component" in garlic and totally forgot about how the various nutrients work

TOGETHER. There are over 27 nutrients in garlic.

We often do the same with fruit...saying the fruit "sugars" are harmful.

BUT, we forget about the OTHER components in "apples" - malic acid and esp. the beneficial skin too!

There is a reason why cinnamon + sugar isn't bad.

Cinnamon prevents an insulin spike which normally accompanies a sugar rise.

This is why even cardiac docs say it is good to take cinnamon daily!

We need a tremendous amt. of glucose daily. Unfortunately...so do many pathogens.

We gotta prevent the insulin SPIKES. And more importantly, in a jam, WE can use ketones to sub for glucose to make OUR ATP.

Look at how beer is BREWED:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wsawdon/www/water.html

Pay close attention to chloride.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j57401
Member # 26395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j57401     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I turned 21 (5 years ago, and 3 years after having undiagnosed symptoms) i went out drinking and dancing a lot and that's when my symptoms went from discomfort to all over body pain and fatigue.

I agree with TF. While getting treated, and even some time after ...its best to stay away from alcohol all together unless you think you can handle it. I found that its just not worth drinking if it makes me feel icky at the end of the day.

Good luck to you!
[Smile]

Posts: 32 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement