LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Florinef for POTS...what's your dose, steroid issue with Lyme, etc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Florinef for POTS...what's your dose, steroid issue with Lyme, etc
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.

I have been diagnosed with a form of dysautonomia. I think I have POTS as well, but what I was diagnosed with officially was hypermobility (Ehlers-Danlos-like) and general dysautonomia. My doctor could tell I would fail a tilt-table test, so he didn't even make me "go through" it.

Anyways, I've tried Midodrine and it didn't help too much.

I'd like to try Florinef because it does help POTS, and the hope is that increasing my blood volume would help with some of my fatigue and just the general "unwell" feelings of dysautonomia and not getting enough blood in the upper portion of the body.

However, I believe Florinef is a steroid, in the same way that Cortef is (which can be a problem with Lyme, steroids). So I was wondering if your LLMD's are okay with you being on Florinef, and what your dosage is.

And also would be interested in any successes from Florinef. Thank you!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 13 yr. old son has POTS and is taking Florinef. He was passing out on occassion so the Cardiologist felt this drug would help. So far, his dizziness, heart palpitations and blood pressure issues have improved.

His LLMD has not wanted to take him off of them and his treatment for Lyme and Babesia are going great.

Since taking Florinef his potassium has been running low. We have to work hard to make sure he is replacing what is being excreted by his kidneys due to the drug.

Hope that helps a bit...

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's LLMD thought Florinef was ok for her to take.

In her case, she started getting an even worse headache, so we had to take her off from it.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can not take florinef, it still may be helpful to increase the amount of sodium in the diet or even add salt to some meals. This tactic and herbal licorice have helped me quite a
bit. I do not have POTS though, just nocturnal diuresis and sleep issues mainly along with Lyme, Babs and Bart.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd prescribed a low does of florinef. I had severe pots. I was passing out, diZzY with standing, etc. I'm also doing lactaid ringers on some days to help.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florinef is NOT the same as Cortef and does not work the same way at all. Florinef acts on the kidneys to help your body retain water and have a greater blood volume, which in turn increased blood pressure. Usually .1 mg is what's Rx'd.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I have autonomic dysfunction. It is a delayed form of Orthostatic Hypotension from prolonged standing or sitting upright.

I have tried Florinef, and it didn't help me one bit. Made me feel worse. I have also tried Midodrine, beta blockers, and they made me much worse. I am very sensitive to medication.

If the Florinef doesn't work for you, you might try Licorice Root.

I take Licorice Root. I use a strong dosage in my Green Tea, which I drink several times per day.

I also increase the salt and water and potassium.

I still can't stand or sit upright very long without elevating my legs significantly, but the Licorice Root helps me to feel like I am NOT dying, but alive, instead.

Just wanted you to know that there are other options, if you are med sensitive.

Best Wishes.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runningshoe
Member # 24384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runningshoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on florinef for almost 4 years. Start slowly and salt load with it. I drink organic broth or mix sea salt into water. Pots is the pits but you can play around with things and see what helps. I have yet to see an improvement with lyme treatment - what about for you>
Posts: 37 | From ma | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may in interested in watching this webinar presentation on orthostatic hypotension offered on the CFIDS.org website:

http://www.cfids.org/webinar/series2010-past.asp#13

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Florinef for over 8 years. At first I went up very gradually with it, and I'm not one who usually needs to do that, but with this I did.

I am now on a lower dosage than when I first began treating Lyme. It's pretty much the lowest dose you can get in one pill, without cutting it.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florinef was a godsend to us. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement