LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cheerios and Doxy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheerios and Doxy
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I cannot tolerate taking my 100mg of Doxy on an empty stomach, is it okay to take it with a 1/2 cup of cheerios and slice of avocado? I don't know

what to eat anymore. Since I can't have milk, yogurt, cheese, or bread !

Oh my this can be complicated.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not tolerate doxy on an empty stomach either so I always ate when taking it and it worked just fine for me.

I did not have a problem with dairy or whole grains including whole wheat but I understand your feeling of wanting to get it all right.

The problem for me was I ate to much meat when I did not allow myself bread or fruit and red meat is full of toxins. I actually smelled pretty bad. Then I quit eating red meat altogether, just eating organic poultry or fish. That is the healthiest for me.
I also use organic milk.

I stay away from manufactured food as it is often full of additives so I wouldn't eat cheerios. Organic eggs might be a better choice or home made grainola with oats, nuts and coconut oil. I also use a little honey instead of sugar.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your advise. The granola is a great idea !!

--------------------

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some breakfast suggestions --
- steel cut oatmeal (you can add nuts, a few (very little) blueberries or strawberries. Also, coconut oil or flax oil.
- scrambled eggs with veggies. I often do avocado and sliced tomato on the side. These are my main breakfasts.

By the way - 100mg of Doxy is low. According to Dr. B and others it should be at least 200 mg twice per day.

Good luck!

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't take ANY abx's on an empty stomach.

Even if the bottle says so.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheerios aren't any better than bread. Granola may not be much better either. You could try getting out some frozen vegetables and cooking them for breakfast.(seriously!)

Or eat the meat leftover from last night?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to take Doxy right in the middle of a big meal! I have been doing it this way for over a year now and it works. I tried it on an empty stomach the other day and I got nauseated.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just took 200mg of Doxy and 500mg of Flagyl with 2 small pieces of toast (less than my usual breakfast) and I suffered for almost 2 hours with sweats, nausea, shaking. This is the second time this happened and I think it's from the doxy. The other time was doxy with no food.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sadly, toast is not a real, WHOLE food. It's simple sugar and contains gluten. Not enough whole food. Gluten is best avoided during lyme treatment as it can really rip up the stomach.

Cherrios are just simple sugar and contain gluten.

Both dissolve far too fast in the stomach and give no protection, no substance.

A bowl of organic peas would be better. Easy to thaw from the freezer.

For SMALL amounts of whole grains: Go for 5 minute oatmeal. Quinoa, Black Rice, Wild Rice, Millet, Buckwheat Groats, Amaranth.

Quinoa Flakes can be mixed with hot water for a gruel for emergency use. It's more refined so best only now and then.

Avocados are BETTER. AND VEGETABLES. From breakfast, all throughout the day: lots and lots and all the different colors and textures.

Also keep good frozen vegetables, to steam. Eggs, too, are easy and good for us. Lean cuts of meat. Good fats. Nuts work but are never enough food for a buffer with medicines.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

I am going to a LLMD on Oct 4th. I am sure she will up my Doxy dose. I am nervous because as soon as I

take it, it takes the life out of me. Maybe being on this low dose for 4 weeks and then increasing

once I see the LLMD will be better for me. I will not take on an empty stomach because I too get

chills, nausea and end up gagging on the bathroom floor. I did herx terrible the first week. The

pain and numbing was horrible in my jaw and temples. I think that is a good sign though from what I am told.

Even the small dose is working. I have only had symptoms for a month before diagnosed so I am

hopeful that this my case is early stage. Is it true that this is easier to treat?

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Earlier stage may be more successfully treated in fewer months' time but nothing is easy about lyme treatment. Nothing.

That's why the very best whole foods are the best support we can give ourselves. With rest, just the right amount of movement - and understanding.

Although cheerios are out of the question, the idea that 1/2 cup of cheerios and slice of avocado is enough food for the stomach with doxy - well, the stomach needs more than that in bulk.

You will do better with more food, good food. Really. That part can get better.

A good lentil soup would add to suggestions above. Lentils are great, can be enjoyed for all meals, seasoned a million different ways, etc. A cup of thick lentil soup with carrots, onions, etc. can go a very long way to serve you. Steamed kale on top just before serving makes it even better.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the best luck taking doxy in the middle of the meal, but if I don't eat enough food for breakfast, I vomit anyway.

I am on a low carb diet so I don't eat any bread or grains (except occasionally something made of almond flour). Eggs or meat and vegetables are pretty much every meal for me. If I think my breakfast is too small, I add extra meat or eggs and maybe some coconut oil. Sometimes I eat a little bit of low sugar fruit at the end of the meal (like berries or melon, not bananas or tropical fruit).

On the occasions when I cheat on my diet and eat a bagel or something, I don't tend to get nausea as easily, so I have this idea in my head that taking doxy with carbs leads to less nausea. That might be true for me, or I might just be looking for excuses to eat carbs again because I love them, I am an addict and I hate giving them up.

Back when I ate cheerios, though, I would be hungry again in half an hour, so it never seemed like substantial food to me. I'm not sure cheerios would be enough to prevent the nausea.

Oatmeal with nuts and perhaps a bit of fruit (and stevia, to avoid sugar) would be better than cheerios for preventing nausea.

Milk or yogurt can help protect you from nausea from drugs, except you can't eat that with doxy because the calcium interacts and interferes with absorption, so the doxy won't work as well. On the other hand, it can't work if you throw it up, either. [Smile]

Good luck.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ginger capsules can also help conquer nausea, but not if enough food has not been consumed.

LIVER Support can help the stomach, too.

You said in your first post you don't know what to eat anymore. Here are some great places for ideas:
---------------------------

www.jadedragon.com/articles/kitchenmed.html

Kitchen Medicine: Naturally Cooling Foods for Summer

- by Eytom Shalom, M.S., L.Ac.

=======================

www.christinacooks.com

CHRISTINA COOKS - Natural health advocate/ chef, Christina Pirello offers her comprehensive guide to living the well life.

Vegan, with a Mediterranean flair. Organic.

She was dx with terminal leukemia in her mid-twenties. Doctors said there was nothing more they could do. Among other things, she learned about complementary medicine and she learned how to cook whole foods. She recovered her health and is now a chef and professor of culinary arts.

She has program on the PBS network "Create" a couple times week. Check your PBS schedule.

To adapt: in the rare dishes where she uses wheat flour, it can just be left out for a fruit medley, etc. Brown Rice Pasta can be substituted (Tinkyada or Trader Joe's). Quinoa and the dark rices can also be used.

But she focuses mostly on very filling vegetable dishes and garden herbs.

Regarding her use of brown rice syrup, just leave it out and add a touch of stevia at the end.

==================

www.rickbayless.com

Rick Bayless is a very good chef for MEXICAN meals that are healthy. These are heavy on vegetables.

====================

http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/

Spoonful of Ginger site

Books: http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/pages/books.php

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER (1999)

From Nina Simonds, the best-selling authority on Asian cooking, comes a ground-breaking cookbook based on the Asian philosophy of food as health-giving. The 200 delectable recipes she offers you not only taste superb but also have specific healing . . . .

. . . With an emphasis on the health-giving properties of herbs and spices, this book gives the latest scientific research as well as references to their tonic properties according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional Indian philosophy of medicine. . . .

You can find this at Amazon, too.

=========================

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN, by Sherry A. Rogers M.D., is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases . . .

==========================

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-4293-from-curries-to-kebabs.aspx

FROM CURRIES TO KEBABS - RECIPES FROM THE INDIAN SPICE TRAIL - by: Jaffrey, Madhur

Also look for MOOSEWOOD Cookbooks and THE ENCHANTED BROCCOLI FOREST

MEDITERRANEAN DIET (minus the wheat and the wine) is also good. It's many vegetable based, with delicious herbs in the meat dishes. Quinoa, dark rices - and unsweetened pomegranate juice can be substituted.

===================

www.LotusFoods.com

Look up Black Forbidden Chinese Rice & the Red Bhutanese Rice. The nutritional content is excellent and these will help fill and fortify you, even in moderation, along with lots of vegetables.

-------------------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_og_wild_wehani.aspx

Wehani & Wild Rice (Organic)

-----------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_nf_japonica.aspx

Black Japonica

---------
http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

Quinoa Recipes

----------
http://www.quinoa.net/4600.html

Red Quinoa Recipes
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure your PROBIOTICS are taken hours away from both Rx and supplements. Probiotics are vital.

Other ways to soothe the whole GI tract and settle the stomach, these help:

DGL, Slippery Elm, (from the plant, not the fluffy confection) Marshmallow Root. And Gum Mastic.

Keep separate from Probiotics and from most medicines.

A gluten-free diet is also very helpful.

===========================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deglycyrrhizinated_licorice

DGL is Deglycyrrhizinated licorice

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice, also known as de-glycyrrhizinated licorice, or commonly referred to by the acronym DGL, is typically used as an herbal supplement in the treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers. It is made from licorice from which the glycyrrhizin has been removed.

The usual dosage is 760 mg, chewed, 20 minutes before a meal. Studies of DGL in humans and animals against placebos showed that DGL significantly reduced the size of gastric ulcers and hastened healing, with 44% of the subjects obtaining complete healing, as opposed to 6% of the control group.

DGL has also been found to be an effective treatment for duodenal ulcers. In another study a group of 40 patients who had duodenal ulcers for 4-12 years were treated with 3 grams of DGL a day for 8 weeks, or 4.5 grams a day for 12 weeks, with all subjects showing vast improvement, with the higher dosage being the most significant.

An additional study shows that DGL's therapeutic effect is equal to the effect of cimetidine (Tagamet). . . .

. . . There are no known drug interactions with drugs used to treat ulcers. In Europe, South Africa, and Canada, DGL is marketed in a medicinal preparation called Caved-S. In the U.S., DGL is marketed as a herbal supplement.

DGL has also been reported to help treat aphthous ulcers (canker sores).[1]

===============

www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2233&zTYPE=2

Gastrointestinal Support: Proactive Steps to Strengthen GI Health -- By Chris D. Meletis, ND

Article at link.

======================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice - 17 abstracts

=======================

From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson) Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com
----

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/licorice-root-glycyrrhiza-glabra.html

LICORICE ROOT (Glycyrrhiza glabra)

WHAT IT DOES: Licorice root is sweet in taste and cooling in action. It detoxifies poisons from the blood and liver, and reduces general inflammation and pain.

It moistens and heals the lungs and digestive tract.

Excerpt:

. . . Almost 50 years ago, a scientist by the name of Revers reported that licorice paste reduced abdominal symptoms and caused radiographic evidence of ulcer healing.

However, about 20% of patients developed edema, headache and other symptoms due to overdose, leading to a loss of enthusiasm (Schambelan, 1994).

This led to the development of DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice), a form of licorice that does not contain the agents responsible for the side effects such as electrolyte changes.

The de-acidified DGL tablet or capsule form used in Europe and America is therefore devoid of any major side effects, and is effective for healing the intestinal membranes. . . .

- Full chapter at link above.

-=============

Just is just one of several similar products out there. DGL has saved the life of my stomach and can stop reflux within a minute.

============================

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=DGL

Articles Search results for DGL

========================

http://www.vrp.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProdID=7072

Ceasefire�

DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract) 300 mg

Gum Mastic (Pistacia lentiscus resin extract 4:1) 150 mg

=================

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=DGL

A list of various brands of DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice) - many are chewable so they will soothe the esophagus and cool reflux.

=====================

http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html

Hidden Sources Of GLUTEN

=====================

If CANDIDA is causing the pain, in addition to PROBIOTICS, I have found OLE (Olive Leaf Extract) to be fabulous to help heal the gut from fungal issues.
-

sjo
Member # 28057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that I could have my supplements and probiotics at the same meal. Is that wrong?

And I am not sure how else to fit everything in.

Posts: 38 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sjo... Don't take probiotics at the same time as the abx! The abx will kill it out.

If anyone takes doxy (continually) without food, your stomach will suffer tremendously. Don't do it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjo
Member # 28057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,
one more question. I am having TERRIBLE acid refux.

The Dr. put me on Protonix, and I am afraid that it will interfere with the abx. So, which DGL do you recommend?

I looked on the site you posted, and there are so many, I don't know which one to choose.

Do I need my docs approval before I take it?

Posts: 38 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No, you don't need your doctor's approval for DGL. But he should be made aware at your next appointment if this is something you've added and it works for you.

Enzymatic Therapy & Planetary Herbals are a good brands. But you'll have to choose what seems best for you.

Please also read all about it before taking it. It's pretty mild but it's just good to always read all you can before putting anything into your mouth.
---------------------

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=DGL

A list of various brands of DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice) - many are chewable so they will soothe the esophagus and cool reflux.
-

sjo
Member # 28057

thank you
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hope you feel better soon. Take care.
-

debamongorangeblossoms
Member # 28167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debamongorangeblossoms     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great information that I'd like to keep track of, in case, I end up trying doxy after all (a week made me desperately sick prior to testing).

Can some one please tell this newby how to keep track of a post or series of posts? I have yet to learn the lingo. =)

Thank you.

Posts: 3 | From Escondido, CA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement