LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » C Diff..how do you treat lyme if you have this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: C Diff..how do you treat lyme if you have this?
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had C Diff for two years and for some reason can not get rid of it.

I've had terrible gut issues to no avail.

My Dr. wants me to go back on Doxy for Lyme and Mycoplasma.

I was doing well but have relapsed pretty bad.

I've been doing rife for a few years and for some reason can't say that I've had the miracle treatment from it unfortuantely.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you still have C. diff try the Rifaxim Chaser (if you haven't tried it already). I had C. diff for 11 months, and got rid of it with the Chaser:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559122

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking Saccharomyces Boulardi? That is a beneficial yeast/probiotic that can help with this.

Before I even started antibiotics I tested positive for C Diff...not sure how that happened. I didn't notice any symptoms for it though either.

My LLMD had me do a round of oral vancomycin and that got rid of it for me pretty fast.

Ever since she has had me taking Saccharomyces Boulardi two-three times a day in order to prevent it from coming back.

So far it hasn't (knock on wood) and I have been on antibiotics since then (about 1 year and 9 months).

It sounds like you have a pretty bad and consistent case though so not sure what would help you.

I would just say to definitely do the Saccharomyces Boulardi if you aren't already. Also ask for Vancomycin if your doc hasn't already tried that. I am sure they probably have though.

I sure hope you can find a way to get rid of this.

If not you may have to try treating with herbals and alternative treatments.

Take Care!
Pam

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you should treat it aggresively and you may be able to get back on abx at some point in the future. In the meantime, there are some c diff safe abx that treat lyme and co. Here are some.

tinidmax
flagyl
IV vancomycin
Rifampin

anti-malarials and parasite treatments are also safe and often very neccesary when treating TBI's

I have been on IV vanco and flagyl for a few months because of c diff. Just yesterday, I added a c diff causing abx so we'll see if it comes back or not.

Don't lose hope, there are still options and new c diff treatment coming out all the time.

I second the rifaxin chaser as an option. I haven't done it but it would be next on my list.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2008/07/do-you-have-to-take-flagyl.html

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also forgot to post that there is some information out there that tigecycline prevents c diff. Not clear on what that means exactly. Does it prevent new cases or prevent a reoccurance of c diff.

Studies have not been done to confirm which it is.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

I also forgot to post that there is some information out there that tigecycline prevents c diff. Not clear on what that means exactly. Does it prevent new cases or prevent a recurance of c diff.

Studies have not been done to confirm which it is.

kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
activated charcoal is suppossed to help absorb some c-diff toxins. Just make sure to take aways from other meds. When I take it, I only take it at night right before bed. About 4 hours after my last meal/med.
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, maybe Bicillin would be a good alternative since it bypasses the gut?
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blinkie - I didn't know Rifampin treats C-Diff. That was going to be my next medicine but I am treating a possible C-Diff infection. If Rifampin works also, I will just move on to that if things seem under control.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildCondor knows a lot about c.diff (big surprise!). Hopefully she'll chime in on here soon, or you can PM her. She's very helpful and usually responds pretty quickly.
Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info here: http://www.wildcondor.com/toughbug

From what I've read about c. diff, the doxy may be risky? I'd be especially cautious since it sounds like the c. diff has been acting up for a long time while off abx.

The link above has a lot of c. diff treatment recommendations...some already mentioned on this thread and some additional ideas.

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
novy
Member # 25987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for novy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an interesting article on c dif and pepto / bismuth

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC538885/

Posts: 94 | From shaker heights, ohio | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement