LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What could it mean if my hair is falling out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What could it mean if my hair is falling out?
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know thyroid but I don't fit the description. Well, a few things maybe, but I had it checked a few months ago and it was fine and I feel better now then I did then.

Any other reasons?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do an archive search, hens. This gets discussed A LOT. Common problem, in other words.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having the same thing happen. I just started treating aggressively in August and this is when I started noticing my hair falling out.

I began taking biotin sublingual and I bought Nioxin hair products and this seems to be halting the shedding.

I also heard mepron can cause thinning of hair and I believe you just started mepron.

My Dr. says it's from the stress of the disease and that it is very commmon to have hair loss with lyme. He even said that a couple of his patients were almost bald. He said their hair grew back as they treated the infection, so that was encouraging to hear.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,
I know I should do searches before I ask just about any of my questions as I'm sure they've all been addressed before.

It's just that whenever I do a search I get very frustrated with the results, can never find what I'm looking for. I'm not very good at it I'm afraid.

But I'll try again.

jwall,
biotin sublingual and Nioxin hair products? I would assume vitacost for the biotin but where can I get the hair products? Specialty store? I'm going to try them for sure! Yeah, hope!!

Some of his patients were bald? AAAAACK??? Were they men at least?

I have long hair and it can get pretty frizzy looking on the top as it grows in (it has curl to it when it's short) so I'm going to look ridiculous if it starts growing back in. Guess I need to consider a new doo.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it started 2 weeks before the mepron. I was on Rifampin, Zith & doxy then.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know little chicken. It can be frustrating, and we don't have a lot of stamina.

I just suggest it now and then to people because there is a lot of wisdom in those old posts and some of the posters are gone. And others get tired of saying the same thing over and over again.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

I'm with you, lou. I just wish I knew how to get better results when I search for specific info.

And thank you for the compliment! I'd give anything to be a little chicken again [Smile]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, he said his patients that were almost bald were women! I know, it freaks me out! But, he said their hair grew back with treatment. [Smile] Hair loss is very common he said.

My hair loss began before mepron too. I bought biotin at Whole Foods. They recommended the sublingual one...Solaray Biotin 1000 MCG...although looking at the ingredients on the back, I am just now noticing it contains sorbitol. I don't think that's really good for us??? I might switch brands b/c of that. I think have a few to choose from. And I'm sure Vitacost does as well. I'm just the type of person that likes to walk into a store to buy things.

My hair stylist recommended Nioxin hair products. I got the shampoo/conditioner at Ulta. Do you have an Ulta near you? It is a beauty supply store. If anything, it has made my hair really shiny and healthy looking. I don't notice the extreme shedding anymore. Praying that it doesn't come back!!!

Dr. said do not stress about it, but easier said than done, right?!!

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diabetes can cause major hair loss. It happened to my sister.

other ideas
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/men/general/081.html

It could be related to lyme but worth checking for other causes if it continues.

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hens,

I've noticed my daughters hair has been falling out since this last year. At first I was suspicious of Birth control pills. Now I think it's bart or bart induced stress.

I loose lots of hair. I think it's due to stress and hormones.

When I added a prenatal, some folic acid and DHEA it stopped. Not sure which one was the helper.

Needless to say, I'm not on any of that anymore, and the hair's fallin' out in clumps.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not have a lot of hair loss while I soaked up to my nose everyday.

But my daughter did and still does...While she will only soak if she is desperate.

It may be a lot of everything in Lyme including actual skin/hair follicle infection..

I'm glad you got me thinking about this...I think I am going to try to get her soaking a lot more to see if it stops it...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search on Wilson's Temperature Syndrome. After two years of hair loss, but normal thyroid test results, my lyme doctor finally diagnosed me with this syndrome. The stress from the lyme brought this on for me. It is a thyroid condition that does not show up on blood tests. This is because it is a problem with my body not converting T4 to T3.

I just began thryoid treatment and feel a little better, but we have not yet found my optimal dose yet of cytomel (t3 med) so I am still having a bit of hair loss. Hoping it goes away soon.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Thanks, everyone for your help. Lots of things to think about here.

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

17hens
Member # 23747

Just wanted to let you know...

got my thyroid checked - normal

got my sugar checked - normal

doubled my daily amount of B-complex

started using Jason Natural Biotin Shampoo and Jason Thin to Thick Conditioner (couldn't find the matching conditioner)

and...

the hair loss has slowed waaaaay down, maybe even stopped!!

Yea!!! Yippeeeeeee!
Not ready to join the ranks of balding women!!!

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will keep watching this thread. I've had this problem for years and I've assumed since I found out I had Lyme that that was the culprit.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low iron? Have your Ferriton (sp) checked.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair was falling out for several months due to a fungal infection of the scalp.

Anti-fungal shampoos help, or for me, a month on Nizoral (slightly different version of Diflucan) stopped it.

=)

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
azithromycin had my hair coming out.. Google it, you'll see alot of people having the same reaction. I stopped the azithro for 2 months and it stopped coming out! But back on it again, and i'll know what to expect [Frown]
Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme gave me a false menopause and, as a result of that, my hair got thin. It was the loss of estrogen in my case.

Hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone) stopped it in my case.

I'm sure you have seen older ladies whose hair is very thin. So, you have seen cases of loss of estrogen causing this exact problem, or normal occurrence, however you want to think of it.

So, if you haven't yet done so, you may want the gyn to test your estrogen level.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All-

ALL of my friends that wore Baseball hats
when we were growing are All bald now--

Me No hats - Lots of hair --

Threw treatment about Half of my hair fell out
about 5 different times--

I notices when I would stopping Biaxin
my hair would fall out --

Start taking it again -- few weeks hair stopped
falling out --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow Jenn. I never heard that about Zith. I have been on Zith for over a year and I am having lots of issues with hair falling out.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toxic metals on hormone producing receptors for many people leading to fungi/candidas, etc., followed by die-off of fungi life-cycle, which feels even more miserable. Start looking at food allergies and malabsorption and inability to detoxify because of mineral deficiencies, leading to hormone deficiencies, etc. It's rarely ever one simple reason.

This is a common cause and healing therefore is very difficult.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your thyroid tests will be normal with lyme and company... but they really aren't normal.

Take you temp. every morning before getting out of bed. Keep a record and see what you find.

I'm on Armour with my llmd because of low body temps... Our lyme will never let the thryoid tests really show how bad they are.

Will your llmd know about the connection between the thyroid and lyme?

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mati
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of reasons for hair loss. Mine was coming out in handfuls till I started on transdermal magnesium. It helped almost immediately.
Posts: 148 | From europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mati - yes, that's what i have been trying to say.
mineral deficiencies galore - so it's wise to replace them massively. Liquids are best. If you can't absorb, look for wheat and chemical, metal, etc allergies. The body cannot repair unless it is supported at that end. It cannot fight infections -- if it cannot get rid of accumulated toxins that block all the roadways.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement