LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Something that may help us. Plasma Exchange.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something that may help us. Plasma Exchange.
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else that may help....http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20888238

2010 Sep 29 Neuromyelitis optica (NMO) is an uncommon idiopathic demyelinating
disease of the central nervous system and is sometimes unresponsive to
steroid treatment as compared to multiple sclerosis (MS).

There are only
a few reports o...f plasma exchange (PE) as an effective rescue treatment
when high-dose steroid therapy fails in exacerbations of NMO.

Thus, we
aimed to evaluate the efficacy of PE for acute attacks of NMO that
failed to respond to high-dose steroid therapy.

A retrospective review
and clinical follow-up were conducted in two hospitals from January 2001
to January 2008. We recruited patients with NMO who had failed to
respond to high-dose steroid treatment, and who then received PE d
uring
an acute relapse. We evaluated a global functional assessment of the
change in the neurological condition, and the Expanded Disability Status
Scale (EDSS) score.

All nine patients were middle-aged women (mean age:
48.7years old), five of whom tested positive for anti-aquaporin (AQP)-4
antibodies in the study.

The patients were severely disabled at the
initiation of PE (median EDSS score, 8.7; range, 8.5-9.0). Improvement
occurred early in the course of PE.

At the 2-month post-PE follow-up,
eight of nine patients had improved to their pre-attack condition.

This
study highlights the potential role of PE as a rescue therapy in the
management of steroid-unresponsive acute attacks of NMO, especially in
patients with auto-antibodies against AQP-4.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would plasma exchange be similar to a blood transfusion?

I was watching a show called "The Monsters Within" Probably not a show I should be watching. It's mainly about people that get sick from parasitic diseases.

They had a guy on there that got extremely ill. They diagnosed him with Babesia. He didn't have a spleen and none of the abx were working. They gave him lots of blood and continued a long transfusion.

He was cured after that!

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo... How would "Neuromyelitis optica" [NMO], an "idiopathic demyelinating disease" be related to Lyme disease, which is known to be the result of an invasion of the body tissues by a pathogen ... more specifically an alien, spirochetal bacterium?

Me thinks that if the causitive agent, B.B., is rarely "in suspension" (so to speak) in the blood,
any PE would be PL (pointless [Wink] ).

BTW, I just love the use of those big words in medical research papers. "ideopathic" [Big Grin]
Why don't they just say "mystery disease"?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lyme is a demyelinating disease. The infection causes a breakdown of the protectiive myelin sheath around the nerves. With treatment, that can be stopped but damage is not always repaired.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: myelin sheath damage "not always repaired"

Maybe that's why I Still have early-A.M. periphrial neuropathy in my outer arms... years later?

(Either that or an "un-addressed co-infection", as THE Dr. R put it... like a BLO.)

Keebler- Any naturophathic or supplemental suggests to encourage some more myelin sheath nerve repair?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There is some research that shows Lion's Mane (medical mushroom) may help the myelin sheath of the nerve repair. Years ago, I came across a study where this had helped some MS patients (Prior to 2003 when I heard about it.)

The therapeutic dose may be higher than what is in most capsules.

This is just one commercial site, I don't know about them, specifically, but it's just one place of interest.

http://www.mushroomscience.com/msstore/lionsmane.html

Latin ... Hericium erinaceus
Japanese ... Yamabu****ake
Common Name ... Lion's Mane

==========================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Hericium erinaceus - 25 abstracts

Hericium - 58 abstracts

============================

Fiziol Zh. 2003;49(1):38-45.

The influence of Hericium erinaceus extract on myelination process in vitro.

Kolotushkina EV, Moldavan MG, Voronin KY, Skibo GG.

A.A. Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, National Academy of Sciences, Kiev.

Myelin sheaths, wrapping axons, perform the following important functions: support, protection, feeding and isolation. Injury of myelin compact structure leads to an impairment and severe illness of the nerve system.

Exact mechanisms underlying the myelination process and myelin sheaths damage have not established yet.

Therefore search for substances, which provide regulatory and protective effects on the normal myelination as well as stimulating action on the remyelination after myelin damage, is of special interest.

Recently it was shown that extract from mushroom Hericium erinaceus had activating action on the nerve tissue. So the aim of the present work was to study an influence of an extract from H. erinaceus on the cerebellar cells and the process of myelination in vitro.

Obtained data revealed the normal growth of the nerve and glial cells with extract at cultivating. No pathologic or toxic action of the extract has been found.

The cell ultrastructure was intact and similar to that observed in vivo. The process of myelination in the presence of the extract began earlier as compared to controls and was characterised by a higher rate.

Thus, extract of H. erinaceus promoted normal development of cultivated cerebellar cells and demonstrated a regulatory effect on the process of myelin genesis process in vitro.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haley-

Plasma Exchange removes plasma with the idea being to remove the autoantibodies which are causing damage. It is not a blood transfusion.

I had plasmapheresis done once last year. It takes a while and there is a need in each arm but overall it wasnt a bad experience.

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met someone who told me she had been misdiagnosed with lyme disease and had this procedure instead of lyme treatment and was now in good shape. Don't know what to think about this story.

Infection driven autoimmunity certainly does seem to occur with lyme disease, so the question is whether people who are still infected would be helped by a procedure like this, when the autoantibodies could still be created afterwards.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar almost to IVIG, a less invasive treatment which could be tried first.

I am on IVIG, and it is helping me dramatically. When I researched plasmapheresis I thought it did involve donor antibodies, such as IVIG does.

IVIG is extremely safe and can really turn things around. It has made a huge difference for a lot of people. You receive donor antibodies and it helps your immune system. It can be very hard to tolerate, especially at first though. You have to be "warrior ready" to take on this treatment. No one told me that beforehand!

It is a form of blood transfusion in the sense that you are getting donor plasma. However it is a blood product, not whole blood.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To further what Tracy said, I had plasmapheresis done first and then started on IVIG (and have been on IVIG for about 1 and a half years). I look at them sort of as opposites. Plasmapheresis removes something (plasma) and IVIG puts something in (gamma globulin). When you have plasma taken out it is replaced with albumin (from what I remember) so you are not getting replacement plasma.

As far as I understand plasmapheresis isn't usually a long term solution as the antibodies that you have removed will eventually come back but it can help for awhile.

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement