LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP Levaquin Herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP Levaquin Herx
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone here explain there herx from Levaquin, what were your symptoms and how long before they supsided, I am desperate I need to be able to work I have two very ill children one with lyme and company and one with cancer Help!! Two hours after taking Levaquin I have severe indigestion, my neck swells and my shoulders, I think that this is muscle spasms, then I get a severe headache in sinuses top of head and back of head, also cant sleep for nothing, I have been in treatment for 4 years and nothing has hit me this hard so quickly, my LLMD said I test positive for Bart, Anyone out there have any suggestions?
Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took coffee enemas and epsom salt baths daily. It lasted for six weeks.

You might want to call your LLMD to rule out allergic reaction. I was slammed with muscle pain and fatigue.

It works well if you can hang in there with it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started herxing I spoke to my LLMD on the phone. Talking together we determined together that it was not a reaction to the med, but a herxheimer reaction. When you take meds like Levaquin that can have bad side effects, it's good to keep in communication with your doctor and decide together what kind of reaction it is.

It's a GREAT med for bartonella. I wouldn't stop taking it due to a herx. EVERY medication made me feel worse before it made me feel better.

My head cleared for the first time on Cipro, then cleared again on Levaquin. I'd rather have taken the risk than lived with the brain fog. You have to weigh the risk with the possible benefit.

To someone who was bedridden the risk was worth it.

The epsom salt baths raise your magnesium levels, which is a good thing with Levaquin.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro put me deep down the gutter. In a very dark and very scary place.

After seeing me, my family members refuse to take the chemical. It's often the first choice for bladder infections when it really should be the last choice.

The drug reps for Cipro and Levaquin are very good at marketing their chemotherapeutic drugs though. Most doctors believe the drugs are well-tolerated and that it is rare to see an adverse reaction from it. I guess they never read the sheet.

Sorry if I am cynical. Can't help it.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I agree kday, a last resort med. My LLMD's PA told me that when she prescribed it. I would never let me kids or myself take it for a UTI or strep throat unless all else failed. Save it for the BAD infections!

--------------------

rainbowriver
Member # 24772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbowriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started levaquin, immediately felt much better... no herx on day seven...

what you have might be a side effect...

Posts: 99 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely up the magnesium if you haven't already, and make sure it's a high-absorption form like magnesium glycinate.

I've never done an epsom salt bath, but have also heard the magnesium content can be absorbed through the skin. I'd still make sure to take orally, though a few hours apart from the levaquin.

Many patients also report herx relief with the epsom salt detox baths.

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with kday. After one dose of Levequin I had, what I later found out, was an anaphylaxic reaction. My throat swelled, blood pressure dropped, and I started to panic when I had trouble breathing. This group of drugs is VERY SERIOUS. I know that many on Lymenet have had good results with Levequin but...if I had any strange reactions within hours of taking the first dose, I would be extremely concerned about taking the next one.

Check out onbam's fqresearch.org site. I was shocked by what I read. Some on Lymenet will tell you that the possible tendon problems are really the least you have to worry about with the quinolones. The psych/neuro stuff can be horrific.

Like Six says, you're LLMD will be able to determine what actually happened, but we have to be informed and trust our gut sometimes. Good luck.

Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone and thank you for your respnses, I don't think I am allergic to Levaquin, when I first got sick 4 years ago my throat muscles swelling and the back of my head was one of my first symptoms, weakness was my second and a weight lose of 35lbs within 30 days, I have been on many drugs, IV doxy, biaxan & plaqunil, ceftin, cipro (short time) amoxicillian, rifampin, coartem,
Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement