LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » severe pain in leg and back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: severe pain in leg and back
hubbylyme
Member # 28529

Icon 4 posted      Profile for hubbylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was diagnosed with lyme and he was told that he has herniated disc in his back one dr. gave him steriods and i saw where it said somewhere that one thing to do was not to take steriods. If he took them would it make the pain and lyme worse. he now is doubling vicodin and it is making it tolerable sometimes!! I've never seen anyone in this much pain. he was so bad last weekend that he was hyperventilating. i was so scared and can't seem to get anyone to help him. got a appt with a back dr on the 27th of this mo. and time just won't go fast enough. has anyone had this problem and what did you do???? [Frown]
Posts: 5 | From pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has your husband tried Toradol? It is a strong (non-steroidal) anti-inflammatory. Usually used for severe injuries and for post-op pain.

There are also combo narcotic anti-inflammatories like "vicoprofen" that might help more than the vicodin.

If he has tried that and is still in severe pain then I would go ahead and take the short course (not long term) dose of steroids. You need to reduce the inflammation and relieve some of the pain so that your husband doesn't further injure himself by guarding, tensing his muscles, holding himself in abnormal body positions, and general inactivity.

Again, this is my only my opinion. I'm not a doctor. It would be best if you could discuss this situation with your husband's LLMD or primary care physician.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my first visits to the doctor was for severe back and leg pain. He found nothing wrong of course but charged me extra which I was told was because it was related to the back! He did give me pain killers.

The pain was so bad I spent a month on the couch with a heating pad and took the pain killers. Typical of lyme, the pain went away only to surface somewhere else - my arm!

A year after being diagnosed with lyme I was diagnosed with bartonella. It seems to be the culprit for much of my muscle pain. Treating bart has helped tremendously.

Whatever you do, don't let your husband take steriods. He needs to see an LLMD.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steroids are an absolute no for lymies.

Steroids wipe out the immune system allowing things to grow out of control.

I've always had lots of pain not knowing what I was dealing with.

In 2004 I had two sterioid injections which made it almost impossible to walk. I also started having severe vibrating.

Best of luck!

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dead center low back pain was from Babesia.

Yeah, they told me it was herniated discs. BS.

I alternate ice packs and a heating pad when it's bad. Sometimes skelatin, a pain/muscle relaxer.

this is good info, page 58, pain unresponsive to narcotics

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/Lymewhat_is_it_part_3,_LIA.pdf

[ 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: janet thomas ]

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChristieL
Member # 27786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChristieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my worst symptoms from lyme (and still testing for co-infections)
was horrible, horrible pain.
My pain radiating from my back, spine, but then
went through my body, joints, muscles, skin.

Honestly it was so bad, that there were times
I felt I did not want to live, not like this.

My NP did give me percosets, the strongest dose
of those.
I could actually take 2 at once and it barely
dulled the pain, just made it bearable.

I am doing better, and they won't give me any more.

I dont think the doc's really understand how bad
this pain can be, it is beyond what a human can or should endure, unbearable.

I tried laying in bed, and just concentrating on
making my body relax.

When the ID dr put me back on ABX, that did help
soo much. I don't have a disc problem,
so my
only issue from pain was infection.

I am so sorry for your husband, I send prayers to him and hopefully if he can begin to get well
the pain will subside enough to be tolerable.

I wish I had a magic cure, but just wanted to say
that I totally understand.

Posts: 41 | From Springdale Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement