LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herxing horribly on rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herxing horribly on rifampin
janice victorov
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22937

Icon 11 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evening all.

What a horrible last day. I started with the joint pain in hands, headache. Thought I would die from it. Today worse. My back hurt.

I cried and thought this is horrible. I was able to work but when the end of the day came,,,was beat.

I don't know why the rif took so long to hit me. I started feeling something last week. This herx snuck up on me and omg,,,

Anyone else experieince this? [Frown]

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Janice. How long have you been taking it?

I was herxing somewhat while on Rifampin but it really kicked my butt at the end of the 2nd week. I almost ended up in the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. Very high BP etc.

I will try it again soon but ramp up slowly. last time I started with 600 mg.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on it just about three weeks. I ended up in the ER for the same reason. My heart was palpitating so much I thought it jump out of my chest. All tests were normal.

My chest was so flushed I couldn't believe it.

I feel somewhat human now. Just so tired I can't stay awake.

I know it's killing something but at what expense??

Sometimes can't tell if it's a herx or another co-infection acting up.

[Smile]

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on day 5. I've noticed a fare in symptoms, more than what I had on levaquin. I have more "spaciness", ear ringing, and I get flushing occasionally. I take 600mg in the am.

Hope it means its killing Bart

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that we also get monthly herxes...every 3-5 wks.

Hope you feel better SOON!!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! I had my first "pulse" of Rifampin about a month ago. I didn't feel much of anything for

one week then it hit me hard for another full week! After that, I felt the best I have felt

since becoming ill with Lyme and Co. All of my symptoms were basically gone. The only thing I

still had was some very mild muscle twitching. I mean so mild that I think I would skip a day or

two without any or at least I didn't notice them!
After the end of that 3-weeks pulse, I had the

next 3 weeks off. I felt GREAT! I honestly thought that I was finally CURED of Lyme & Bart.

I just re-started Rifampin ... my 2nd pulse and immediately felt depressive after only 2 days.

Today is Day 6 and I've been achy all day and had a bad headache too. Also still very "down"

and have no energy. I've been very digusted because I really thought I might be "cured" from

my first pulse of Rifampin. Now I have worries because a couple of people have said that you

should NOT pulse Rifampin. I thought lots of people DID pulse it??? What are you doing?

I am considering just taking it for more than the 3 weeks and not stopping it.

All of that said .... try to stick out the bad herxing because not only myself, but many others

have had great results from this drug! GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I have heard great things of this drug as well.

Even through the bad herx I noticed my twitching is stopping and the internal buzzing is going away.\\Flushing? Me too. Just every few days but today my whole chest was flushed and no fever just my skin feeling warm.

I hope tomorrow is better.
I have been drinking a lot of water and sleeping this evening.

--------------------
jkv44

AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had the herx from hell from rifampin. She could not even tolerate an extremely low compounded dose.

Maybe this isn't the med for you?? Talk to your doc.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started rifampin.

What is the strength and frequency of your dosaging instructions??

--------------------
Bullsye rash: 1994, tx w/ ABT,
Symptomatic:1999
Hospitalization: 2004
Equivocol results (specialy lab) resulting in chronic use of ABT, herbs, etc ever since.
Severity of symptoms continue to worsen intermittingly.

Posts: 140 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with Dr. S at vanderbilt(expert on chlamydia) his is a dr. and microbiologist. He told me never to pulse rifampin and also not to titrate. Start at the full dose for a week and if you can't handle it stop and try again in 6 months when your load is down. You don't want to play with rif because is hits so many bugs bart, whipple and tuberculosis just to name a few. Resistance is a big issue.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope u feel better. If u can tolerate it, it supposed to be hitting Bart head on. I lasted 5 days, the first 2 at 600, then down to 300 for the last 3. Mentally hit me hard. Be well.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 600mg / day. My Rx bottle says take 300mg 2x/day. I follow Dr. S's advice and take all 600mg in the am.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more Rifampin question from me ... sorry! Do you take it with food or on an empty stomach.

I've been taking with food but I thought I read somewhere it is supposed to be one hour before

or two hours after a meal?

Thanks!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

I heard on an empty stomach. Also, take the last dose in the evening one- two hours before bed.

--------------------
jkv44

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another reason you do not pulse rifampin is taking breaks can cause you to have flu like side effects when you restart it. You have to take it as prescribed every day with no breaks.

I may restart it when I see the LLMD as bactrim has hit a plateau.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

So why doesn't my LLMD know not to pulse it? *sigh*

He is so good and he has a young daughter with Lyme as well!!!?

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rifampin is one of the more toxic abx's you need to detox big time while on it by any means !

drink lemon water, take a detox bath , detox max , and or milk thistle !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, keep in mind that there are people that are not having a herx but their body can't tolerate this medicine. So, be sure that you are indeed having a herx and not a reaction to this drug.

After only 2 weeks (600 mg) of this medicine (I took over a year ago) many of my symptoms subsided. That is why I have always wondered if this is the med for me. I'm just scared to take it after my last experience.

It also was difficult because my sleep meds didn't work and I was unable to sleep on this med.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

quote:
Originally posted by Haley:
Also, keep in mind that there are people that are not having a herx but their body can't tolerate this medicine. So, be sure that you are indeed having a herx and not a reaction to this drug.

So how does one know if it is a herx or a reaction? From what I have read at drug info

sites, the reactions seem pretty severe ... nausea, vomiting, high fever and joint swelling, etc.

I have depression, headache and since yesterday, body muscle aches and pains in my hands, wrists, knees, fingers and some more twitching.

The things I am experiencing are the same that I always experience when starting a new abx. So,

I am assuming that I am just herxing. Am I right? How can you know for sure? *confused*

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin made me puke sooooo much yesterday. It was so gross. I felt fine until about 40 minutes after I took it. I spent the rest f the day and night vomiting. Now today I am incredibly light-headed, dizzy.

Am I the only one with these symptoms??

--------------------
Equivocol results (specialy lab) resulting in chronic use of ABT, herbs, etc ever since.

Posts: 140 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10345

...more more thing:

even when I take phenergan I still vomit on rifampin .

--------------------

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

I'm so sorry about your vomiting! YUCK! I couldn't handle that ... I'd have to stop ANY medicine that caused that!

I would think that you may be having a serious adverse reaction to it! Vomiting is one of the serious side effects listed!!! I'd get OFF of it and call your doctor!!!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement