LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who has opinions on STEAM vs SAUNA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has opinions on STEAM vs SAUNA?
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told today by an acupuncturist that had/has Lyme, to stay OUT of the steam room because of harmful bacteria?

Instead, she suggests going in the sauna.

Me personally, I feel GREAT after the steam room. The sauna is a bit drying.

What do you all think?

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the steam room at my health club better than the sauna.

I liked my FIR sauna that I have at home infinitely better than either of those!!!! The FIR really helps you detox whereas the steamroom and normal sauna just make you hot.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FarInfrarRed saunas (dry sauna) is way better at getting toxins out of your body.

You can buy a personal sauna on EBay very cheap.

I've had mine for almost 3 years and I've almost worn it out I'm using it so much. Really makes a difference in how I feel.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my FIR sauna. I can't stand the wet heat of a steam sauna. Also, I wonder if the steam ones can have a mold problem.
Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The sauna - but NOT hot. We are not supposed to get too hot. Put a wet towel over your head, go in when others are gone and keep the door open a little bit so you don't get too hot. Don't stay too long. Have a friend with you.

If you could find low heat infrared sauna, those are best.

An alternate: a warm bath in Epson Salts for 20 minutes.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! Going to look into the FIR saunas. Thanks guys.

And yea...I can see how the steam ones could get funky if they aren't cleaned properly or regularly.

Good info here.

--------------------

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only have access to a steam room and I love it...

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your acupuncturist is correct. You run the risk of being exposed to germs in a public sauna.

FIR sauna is the way to go. It has so many healing and detoxing properties that the steam room does not have. It's far superior than steam.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropisces
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are we not supposed to get too hot?

I've tried some Bikram Yoga recently. Other than my neck issues, I like it pretty much.

What is the problem with heat?

Posts: 152 | From West Palm Bech, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of many Lyme Dr's that recommend the infra red saunas at medium or high heat - whatever we can tolerate.

I go 40 to 45 min at up to 140 degrees. I am dripping when I get out and I feel good immediately and much better for a day afterwards.

the arficial fever helps heal and the release of toxins helps us feel better.

You have to start very slow though or you can get very ill.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mojo, I can't believe you could survive 140 degrees for that period of time. I think that would kill me.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, that's a long time 40-45 min's at 140.

I can only do about 20-25 in the steam room...

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

I had to work up to that - and the last ten minutes are tough because I hate to be hot - but I distract myself by going online, etc. and it's totally worth it afterwards.

I took four saunas last week (40 to 45 min) and was able to enjoy my niece's wedding on Sunday. I've been pretty sick this fall so I consider that a major accomplishment!

The first few minutes are usually in the high 120's but it heats up pretty fast. I've had my sauna for almost three years now. Best thing I ever bought.

Oh, and I can't go into a steam room at all because I can't breath the hot air and steam. The sauna I have doesnt' require me to breathe hot air (my head sticks out) yet my entire head still sweats like crazy.

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get great benefits from the steamroom. I agree that the regular sauna is too drying.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

After doing a lot of reading, I took the plunge and bought a Sunlighten Solo System. Will report back with any improvements. With winter coming it just seems like a good idea to take driving in the cold to the gym for the steam room out of the equation.

--------------------

FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

I've been using the FIR sauna for a couple weeks now. I like it alot. I've noticed though when I lay down i have quite frequent heart palps or skips and hard thumping. Anyone else having those problems with or without the sauna? Mostly occurs when I lay on my back...

--------------------

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes which is partly why we should be very careful with heat. Blood pressure can drop a lot too.

In the book "Detox or Die", Doctor Sherry Rogers has a protocol to make using the sauna safer. I don't remember the whole thing but I drink water before going in, water during the sauna and water after the sauna. She recommends adding minerals to replace electrolytes as well.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I skimmed though and didn't see the question answered. Yes, the steam room can expose you to harmful bacteria.

Infared sauna is the best but a regular sauna is better than a steam room if that is your only option.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Thank you Terry and abxnomore. I did the water thing but i think ur right with the electrolytes. going to check into your info. I though coconut water would be a good thing to have before and after but it also has sugar. Hard to know what the cut off mark for low sugar diet is?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement