LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme arthritis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme arthritis
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I am wondering for those of you with Lyme arthritis, can you explain what it feels like? Does it feel stiff and achey, or more like sharp pains? I am wondering if what is manifesting in my joints is arthritic or nerve related.
thanks!

Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stiff and achey - very dull. Doesn't keep me from functioning but I know it's not right and not age appropriate for me. No injuries that would've caused it also. I think it's the bacteria causing tissue damage and inflammation. Advil takes it away for me but it always comes back.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme-arthritis started out with a sudden onset of stiffness, achy legs, swollen left ankle and very tight calves.
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
letyourheartwinx
Member # 24736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for letyourheartwinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My calve muscles also get very tight/crampy sometimes from my knee pain. But most of my actual joint pain is in my hands, wrists, feet, and ankles. It feels kind of dull, or like my bones/joints are "electrified", like my sense of feel in those places is heightened/discomfort is noticeable/ (no sparks of pain or anything like that). If very stiff and my joints pop a lot, sound/feels like cracking your knuckles.

My situation is very similar to geo's. Just dull and achey. I'm 21; I shouldn't have arthritis. Aleve sometimes works a little, but wears off.

Posts: 9 | From Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies. I was diagnosed (at first) with psoriatic arthritis, and now have a Lyme diagnosis. My pain is extremely sharp and shooting. It feels like it is on fire and like there are shards of glass under my skin. I am beginning to think it is nerve related, and not arthritis after all. My doctor put me on vicodin, but it does not really help. I am going to ask about peripheral neuropathy at my next appointment.
thanks!

Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Oh, and I have tingling in my hands and feet all the time. And weird places seem to "fall asleep" like in my back or on my scalp.
skippy77
Member # 28530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skippy77   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sudden onset of pain, weakness and spasms in thigh, groin and joint areas....started about 3 months ago and an ortho dr. tried to tell me that it was just arthritis. Now even though I've had negative Lyme test results my neurologist is treating me for Lyme because I have so many of the symptoms. The pain is terrible and is only in my right leg, occassionally in my elbows. Swimming therapy is the only thing that relieves it temporarily.
Posts: 13 | From Orange CT | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skippy... please begin your search for a Lyme Literate MD (LLMD)...your neuro won't know all the ins and outs of treating Lyme.

And you could have coinfections, which if left untreated, would keep you from getting well.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skippy77
Member # 28530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skippy77   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tutu! I did find an LLMD right here in Orange and will set up an appt. Went to a podiatrisst today for the redness on top of my right foot. He said it is vasculitis and is not "foot-related." Said that it definitely seems to be some kind of infection and agreed that it may be Lyme. Still haven't gotten a positive Lyme test but all signs point to it.
Posts: 13 | From Orange CT | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching4,

I also started with sharp shooting pains in kneee and leg. My PCP thought it was nerve pain and put me on gabapehtin which helped a bit, then off to a neurologist who found nothing. Dull arthritis like pain and stiffness then progressed to all joints, and spent time with a rheumatologist before I got to see a LLMD

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

gmb,
Did your pain end up being nerve related? I am looking into seeing a LLMD, and hopefully they can sort it out for me.

gmb
Unregistered

Searching4,

Neurologist could find no nerve issues after numerous tests and could not come up with any diagnosis except for relating it to a bulging disc in lower back (which I've known about for over 25 years form old sports injuries).

He sent me off to PT 2x/week and I stuck to it for 8 weeks with no significant changes. He finally released me after about a year in early 09.

I had asked him several times if he thought it was lyme, because I had removed the tick and had the bulls-eye rash on 2005, along with the standard 30 days of low dose Doxy.

Next went to a rheumatologist who first diagnosed as gout, then said it's some form of arthritis, never got a clean diagnosis nor any meds that helped.

Diagnosed with lyme in March 2010... still a long wasy to go with abx.

skippy77
Member # 28530

gmb.....was also told that I had gout and then cellulitis. Still waiting to see an LLMD.
I don't know all the terms yet....what is abx?
Thanks, Skippy77

gmb
Unregistered

skippy7,

abx = antibiotics.

Good luck with your LLMD appointment

gmb

skippy77
Member # 28530

Hey gmb~never got to an LLMD yet. Ended up in the ER last week with such extreme pain in my leg. The LLMD's in my town cost $1000 out-of-pocket for first appointment. Then a doctor that I found in Stamford isn't taking appts. til Jan. I'm not even convinced now that I have Lyme. Have never had a positive test and since the pain and weakness is always in my right leg I'm starting to think that it's something else. At this point I'm becoming very depressed. It's hard waking up every day with no answers and never feeling any better.
DebraKelly
Member # 24925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DebraKelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started out with dull aches in my hands and knees and then the knees started swelling and turning red. In a month after that, it felt like nails were being spiked into my knees - very painful.

Went to the LLMD - put me on abx - and have not had the knee pain or swelling again. What a relief. Mine was a co-infection of Babs and Lyme. The only ache left is a little in the hands but we're working on that now.

Get to an LLMD recommended from this site. They were very helpful and my LLMD is fantastic!

Good Luck!

Posts: 65 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skippy77
Member # 28530

Thanks DebraKelly.....Yeah I also have the bad pain in my knees now, mostly my right. And sometimes have weird pain in my arms when I try to do the slightest things.
Glad you're feeling better!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement