LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can you take artemisinin w/o zithromax?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you take artemisinin w/o zithromax?
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an rx for Malarone, and also have some artemisinin. My dr. did not give me an rx for Zithromax. I have read that you should not take artemisinin w/o zith because babesia may build up a tolerance against the art. Is this always the case? Do I absolutely have to have zith with the art? And should I take the malarone with both of those as well? I am pretty med sensitive, and don't want to overload.
Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't.. because of the reason you stated. It would make the art useless. Malarone is OK to use with it. You want to make the babesiosis cry! (hope you don't cry instead!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Did your doctor tell you to take artemisinin? You say you " also have some artemisinin" so it's not clear if this is your LLMD's plan or if you'd be doing this on your own.

In general, no, zithromax is not required to go with artemisinin. However, some other anti-babesia treatment is required. No babesia treatment is to be a solo act.

But, the key is what your LLMD has advised. Sounds like you are only prescribed malarone and nothing else, at all ???

Are you on any liver support? That is pretty important to help manage a herx or sensitivities.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my LLMD did tell me to get on art "asap". I have not started it yet. I was waiting for the auth. from ins. for the malarone, just got it. So I guess I need to talk to my dr. about adding the zith? And Keebler, I have tried milk thistle three times and cannot tolerate it, for liver support. I am taking NAC, drink lots of water, high grade supps, etc. Any other liver item you might suggest would be most appreciated. Thank you for your dedication to this board.
Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I have to separate this out to read it, and then see it on the board before I can reply:

Sophie1234 writes:

Yes, my LLMD did tell me to get on art "asap".

I have not started it yet. I was waiting for the auth. from ins. for the malarone, just got it. So I guess I need to talk to my dr. about adding the zith?

And Keebler, I have tried milk thistle three times and cannot tolerate it, for liver support. I am taking NAC, drink lots of water, high grade supps, etc. Any other liver item you might suggest would be most appreciated. Thank you for your dedication to this board.

(Sophie1234 )
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
So your LLMD wants you on Malarone and Artmisinin. That is a combination, then. You may not need zith - or he may want to add that in later, or rotate it.

I'd follow your LLMD's instructions.

==========================

3/4 of the way down page one, there are lots of LIVER LINKS:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Thank you Keebler. Sorry I didn't break it up myself.

I know the rules. Duh. Thx again.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, no problem. No "rules" exactly. I'm probably the one here who has the most trouble reading if a paragraph is more than 3 lines. For many here, their eyes do best with short paragraphs and breaks.

As you will be starting on Artemisinin and that requires the Cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway (which for me and many with lyme, is stressed), SCHIZANDRA seemed to help me. It supports the C P-450 pathway.

The formula that worked for me was Pine Mountain Sheng Fa Wan. It was also a good adrenal support.

I have to rest now but will be back with some links for that. In the meantime, you can stroll around Google and PubMed with the terms.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook - by Alan Keith Tillotson, et. al. Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

http://tinyurl.com/37uvrh

SCHISANDRA BERRY (Schisandra chinensis) (also spelled Schizandra)

[poster's note: this has a caution with epilepsy. However, I deal with seizures and the formula below that contains schizandra HELPS me. It could be that the causes of my seizures are not the same as with typical epilepsy or that the formula is well balanced, or both. Lyme seizures are most often from toxin overload.]

===============================

http://www.naturalnews.com/009229.html

Chinese medicine: Schizandra berry a potent adaptogenic herb

===========================

http://www.acuatlanta.net/sheng-tablets-p-25937.html

Sheng Fa Wan (Pine Mountain)

===============================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Schisandra - 231 abstracts

Schizandra - 307 abstracts

Schizandra, liver - 62 abstracts

Schizandra, P-450 - 8
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement