LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Looking for LLMD in GA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for LLMD in GA
wgshuckers
Member # 27869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wgshuckers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit by a tick April 28, 2010. Had rash. About a month later started noticing arthritis in my hands. Then a few weeks later started getting daily headaches and numbness/tingling/pin prick sensations. Started taking doxycycline (and still am) but my symptoms don't really seem to be improving.

I tested negative on my first ELISA (7/27/10)test but tested POSITIVE on western blot (9/1/10) for bands 23 and 41.

I'm looking for a LLMD in GA. I've been to 2 different general practitioners but they aren't very knowledgeable about lyme.

Posts: 92 | From Georgia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am from Atlanta and can tell you...they deny it exist in Georgia. It is a big problem. Both my daughter and I got it there and were denied treatment...even with a positive lyme test.

First, go to the Georgia Lyme Disease website. Email them and let them know what happened. The president of the ga lyme site is tracking cases and complaints...Please.

second of all, I found no one in GA to be of any help whatsoever. Most of us travel out of the state for treatment.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scsavages
Member # 27310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scsavages     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in SC and traveled to NC to see Dr F for treatment. I saw 2 ID docs locally who blew me off with a positive test in hand!

Go out of state...get help quickly!

Posts: 13 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wgshuckers
Member # 27869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wgshuckers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the find a doctor thing on here and it came back one in Ashville, NC and one in Hodges, SC. Dr B (Ashville) and Dr R (Hodges). Are either of these known or recommended? With the Dr. I have been seeing in middle GA, I pretty much feel like I'm treating myself. I just go to him to get meds. I have been on doxy for 7 or 8 weeks and flagyl for a week now. I only got the flagyl because I asked for it, he didn't recommend it.

Thank you.

Posts: 92 | From Georgia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to contact the support group:

http://www.georgialymedisease.org

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey- I sent you a PM. GA is a pretty rough state to be in with Lyme Disease.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please consider joining GeorgiaLyme at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/georgialyme
The patient group in GA is very active.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedinGA
Member # 22446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedinGA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in GA and I can tell you I found no llmd here and most doctors I come across haven't a clue what an epidemic lyme is here.

I was initially treated by an infectious disease doctor in Cumming, a name I got from a fellow GA sufferer on a yahoo group. Within 5 mins of being in the office, I was set for a picc line the next day. This doctor was going against their own guidelines (IDSA), but within 10 weeks of treatment, the doctor started to pull back because other doctors were starting to report. Needless to say, an attempt to convince me to get my picc pulled happened, but I quickly switched to the east coast doctor. I am happy to say after close to 1-1/2 years of rocephin, I am in remission.

I did see the doctor again about 1 year into treatment as the doctor was called in by another doctor for some tummy problems I was having, and the doctor was dead set against me even ever having lyme. Complete 360 from the year prior where the doctor was so open minded and wanting to help and acknowledged what a problem lyme here is.

Absolutely get in touch with the GA lyme disease association, it's a great resource and start looking for an out of state doctor.

Posts: 5 | From Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedinGA
Member # 22446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedinGA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and to add, I was in the ICU for heart problems (related to the lyme) in the summer of 09, and another infectious disease doctor was brought in to see me. After the first 5 mins of the doctor blowing smoke, I then unleashed with all my knowledge. This prompted him to lean over my bed, with my spouse sitting right there next to me, and say "I don't treat lyme because I don't want to loose my license".

To say I was floored is an understatement. But, that's the thinking of GA doctors

Posts: 5 | From Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement