LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » How do I know if a doctor is an LLMD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I know if a doctor is an LLMD?
packypacky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for packypacky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been seeing a doctor V who is the colleague of another doctor M who IS an LLMD. They two are the only doctors workin in an integrative medcine office.
This doctor V mentioned she has been treating a lot of lyme disease patients so I assume she is LLMD

But it turns out not: with my so typical symptoms and IgeneX results she told me I don't have lyme!!!

And she's not willing to prescribe Antibiotics to treat lyme.

What she does prescribed is only 4 weeks of minocycline 100mg/day with her claim that this is not in order to treat lyme but as an anti-inflammation drug to promote immune system.

Yet she is charging the same money as an LLMD not accepting any insurance.

And I would like to know how do I know if a doctor is an LLMD and ILADS trained?

Thank you.

Edited out doctor's name, per Lymenet rules. - Robin

[ 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 101 | From nowhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's not an LLMD. This is the typical denial stance.

Pretty bad that she's treating Lyme patients that way - will keep them sick.

You can post in Seeking for referrals - include area/states in the heading you're willing to travel to.

You can always check with www.ILADS.org and ask them about a doctor.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtb
Member # 23993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I previously called a doctor I was not sure about being LLMD, I asked the receptionist point blank about the doctors stance on Lyme. She was more than happy to tell me the doctors take on Lyme (she was LLMD but I couldn't get in when needed).

Sometimes just asking is the best way!

If that doesn't work, coming here and asking for help has always worked for me [Smile]

Good luck, LMTB.

Posts: 24 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
packypacky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for packypacky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Robin123 and lymemomtb. Very helpful hints!
Posts: 101 | From nowhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can contact ILADS and ask them if that doctor is a member.
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people do not know this but, unfortunately, being an ILADS member is not enough. Some doctors are becoming ILADS members just to attract patients, but they don't know how to treat lyme disease.

This is what one woman found out recently. She moved on to a new, top notch lyme doctor and was given this information:

"Some dr.s can pay the fee to join ILADS and not necessarily follow or understand all the guidelines with patients. They can claim they are ilads trained and NOT follow guidelines.

There is a question/solution in the works to have dr.s take some kind of exam to test their knowledge of treating lyme before they can join ILADS because apparently this is happening more than it should."

Read the entire thread to see how UNeducated an ILADS doctor can be about lyme disease. It is here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/124108#000000

If you are going to lay down a lot of money to see a lyme doctor, then do a lot of homework first. Ask for input on this board. Get lots of people's recommendations of doctors. Consider the source's knowledge about lyme disease so that you know how much weight to give their opinion.

For example, if person A is new to lyme and just had their first few appointments with their first lyme doctor, they really don't know anything. Give their opinion little weight. (They are a "lyme virgin." They are just happy to find a doctor who believes in lyme, didn't humiliate them, and is willing to treat them. They don't know how to evaulate a doctor yet.)

If person B has gone to about 3-4 lyme doctors and so has something to compare their current lyme doctor to, their opinion of a doctor is more valuable.

If person C has been cured of lyme by a lyme doctor, get that doctor's name!

It is best to go to a doctor who has cured at least 3 people that you are sure of, that someone knows personally.

Do the work up front and you will not likely be disappointed. This is the best way to avoid wasting a lot of money and your time and energy.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
packypacky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41758

Thanks Keebler! Your help is very much appreciated.
I was a "Lyme virgin" in your words [dizzy]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement