LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Where to fly to from FL for care?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to fly to from FL for care?
carriekaye
Member # 43533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carriekaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MD in FL that I would like is not taking new patients. UGH!

I will be happy to fly elsewhere for care, as long as it's near a major hub on the east coast. Where do you think I should go?

My daughter is 16 with progressive, chronic, migratory joint pain that nobody has been able to give us a reasonable diagnosis for. She's becoming increasingly disabled. I want her evaluated for Lyme, bartonella, etc, and treated if necessary.

Thanks!

Posts: 48 | From Orlando, FL | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Below Washington, D.C. on the east coast, there are very few good lyme doctors. So, for that area of the country, you generally have to come at least to the D.C. area.

I sent you a name. You will be able to get in with this doc with no trouble.

Review the lyme symptom list on pages 9-10 of the Burrascano Guidelines. Make a very complete list of all of your daughter's symptoms by using that list as an aid.

The list of symptoms is extremely important for your first appointment with a lyme doctor since lyme is diagnosed based on symptoms, medical history, test results, and response to a course of lyme treatment.

This doctor will be able to test and diagnose her with all of the coinfections including bartonella and babesiosis. So, you will be in good hands. He just is not yet considered a top notch doctor. It takes years to achieve that status.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carriekaye
Member # 43533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carriekaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you so much for your PM and your reply. I am looking into the information you sent.
Posts: 48 | From Orlando, FL | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carriekaye
Member # 43533

I just made an appointment with the recommended MD in Washington DC. Now, I just have to decide how to get there!

Thanks again for your help.

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fly into Dulles or Baltimore-Washington International. Skip Reagan.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carriekaye
Member # 43533

Well considering my HMO is not going to cover any of this, I'm going to be looking at the most cost effective options. I haven't ruled out driving yet. LOL
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were you, I would find out ahead of time how often this doctor requires return visits. That is a long haul. There is a train to D.C. but it is still a long way. Don't know where you are in FL.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carriekaye
Member # 43533

Thank you. That's wise advice. And I did look into whether follow-ups could be done long-distance as appropriate.

It's a 12 hour drive or 2 hour flight from Orlando to DC. Fortunately, I'm an RN and have 4 days off each week, and my daughter does virtual school because she cannot handle brick-and-mortar school; so the time is not an issue.... just the cost of getting there.

I also have family a couple hours from the clinic, so if I need to avoid spending for hotel, we can stay there.

poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme brain strikes again. Just noticed that your location was right there in front of me.

I believe the train can be boarded in Orlando, but this is not a speedy trip. Might even require overnight, so if you can swing it, flying would be best. I would be surprised if it could be driven in 12 hours, even though that is what the internet says.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carriekaye
Member # 43533

You underestimate my lead foot! [Smile] I just have to remember to keep the

speed down in Georgia... that's one expensive place to get a ticket.

Anyway, we're flying up for the initial visit at least.

carriekaye
Member # 43533

Thanks everyone for your input. We saw an LLMD in the DC area last week. Test results are back: positive for lyme, babesia, and rocky mtn spotted fever. though they said the rocky mtn could be a false positive.

Now we just have to figure out where to go from here.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sorry to hear, but very glad your daughter is diagnosed and in good hands!! No wonder she is so ill!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement