LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Best LLMD in CA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best LLMD in CA?
felinitie
Member # 7403

Icon 5 posted      Profile for felinitie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could anyone tell me who is considered to be the best LLMD in California?

Are there any good LLMDs in or near Los Angeles?

Also, does anyone know if there are any LLMDs in Mexico (Tijuana)? Is it legal to buy abxs in TJ and bring them across the border?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 39 | From california | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no2lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no2lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are not many LLMD's in California but the best would have to be Dr. S in San Francisco (in my opinion).

Difficult to get in to see the good ones. But worth it when once you do.

I don't know about LLMD's in LA, I think there is one in San Diego. I know a lot of folks travel up here to see Dr. S.

Good luck.

Posts: 152 | From On Horseback | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the best of my knowledge, Dr. S. is not seeing new patients, but my LLNP recently started practicing one week per month in his office. She is wonderful. I would highly recommend seeing her.

Email me if you want info.

[This message has been edited by tickedntx (edited 31 July 2005).]

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr S has a 800 person waiting list. There is another doc in his office and a nurse. Dr. A up in Santa Rosa was trained by Dr. S. There is Dr. H over in grass valley. The son of the Igenix lab director. Write to Sonoma County Lyme Support Group on Yahoo groups and get some help.
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr.G is the other doc in SF....I was fortunate to be one of the last to get in to see Dr. S before he closed the practice to new patients. I definitely feel blessed.

I saw Dr. G for a year before switching to Dr. S. This was years ago. Dr. G was going on a part time sabatical and I was starting IV, so wanted a more accessable doctor. I think that Dr. G is a fine LLMD too.

I've met Dr. H and heard him lecture. He is a very kind man who knows this disease all too well. He had it as a teen, so knows what we are up against. He also happens to have very dreamy eyes, which is a plus if you have to see a doctor!

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 3 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. H used to come down to Long Beach to see patients.

Yes, he is extremely kind. And knowledgeable. How often to you find those attributes together in one doc?

------------------
Tabby

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for felinitie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your replies and recommendations.

Surg, you wrote "The son of the Igenix lab director." Were you referring to Dr. H in Grass Valley?

It sounds like Dr. H would be the best choice, especially since I have an aunt and uncle who live in Grass Valley.

And the dreamy eyes, that's a big selling point!

Once again, many, many thanks!

Posts: 39 | From california | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is considerably NORTHERN California for you, but I see Dr. J in Chico. I am thrilled with him and the whole staff in all ways. Lucky for me, only an hour and a half drive.

I am not certain but strongly suspect it is illegal to bring large quantities of ABX across the border. I'm sure our American drug manufacturers made certain of that.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Dr. H is the son of the Igenix director. I have heard he is very good looking. The only negative thing I have heard is one of Dr. S's patients saw him a long time ago when he first started and said he meant well but was inexperienced. That probably has changed.
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for felinitie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been considering Dr. J in Chico based on your glowing recommendation, Michelle, but the idea of driving so far from LA is daunting, so I thought I'd look closer to home first.

Grass Valley is actually quite far as well, but I could stay with my relatives there, which would be helpful.

I discovered in a list sent to me recently that there are a few doctors closer to home, in Malibu and Santa Monica, and one of them also does the Marshall Protocol I believe, which I am still considering.

But I have had such bad experiences with some of my Kaiser doctors that I have become very distrustful of doctors, and would really prefer to see a doctor that others have seen and can recommend.

A KIND doctor would be especially appreciated.

If anyone has seen, or heard anything about any of the doctors near LA, I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know.

And thank you again to all who have replied with recommendations and advice.

tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who sees A Dr. Z near San Diego. I'm sure you could get her info from a Support group there. She is female.

tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Thank you tjtighe. I will check out Dr. Z in San Diego.
no2lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no2lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I failed to mention Dr. G in Los Altos, how could I forget, well Lyme probably. I have seen Dr. G for a long time. she is fantastic.

She is closed to new patients at the moment, but I think open to new patients in September.

I think there are waiting lists for most LLMD's but with persistence you never know.

Posts: 152 | From On Horseback | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1tick3victims
Member # 7445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1tick3victims     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen dr. H and I liked his style/knowledge base very much. Very kind.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Thanks for the suggestion, no2lyme.

Hmmmm, some very good suggestions. which to choose? will probably depend on availablility.

Does anyone know anything about Dr. S. H in Ocean Beach?

DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr H practices in Grass Valley, Palo Alto, Long Beach and Malibu.

I've seen him, Dr. S and Dr. G. I don't see Dr. H anymore because I had to narrow it down. He is very kind, very intuitive, very open to alternatives. Frankly, I just decided to go with the big name and Dr. G who was very accessible in crises. They're all great docs!

Cheers

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tjtighe:
I have a friend who sees A Dr. Z near San Diego. I'm sure you could get her info from a Support group there. She is female.

tj

Who is Dr. Z near San Diego??? Could someone please email me with more info?

[email protected]

Thanks

------------------
Tabby

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Thank you so much Denise for letting me know Dr. H's other areas of practice.

Malibu is not far from where I live so that would be perfect! There would also be a bit of poetic justice in seeing a lyme doctor in Malibu, since that is where I got it to begin with!

Lynn Lymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynn Lymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLNP - stands for what - lyme literate natural path???? Just surprised b/c Dr. S. seems so traditional medicine - not all the out there natural stuff??? Or is she just renting space from him and not "with" him? Just wondering????
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynn Lymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynn Lymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We waited 5 months on a wait list to see Dr. S. which was a ***very*** hard wait (as my dtr was getting worse and worse under two past LLMDs care), but soooo worth it!

He's still closed to new patients last I heard, too.

Is Dr. Y still in practice in San Diego??? Heard quite a while ago she possibly wasn't practicing (bankrupt????) (or just closed to Lyme patient?????)

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also Dr. O in Exeter who has been consulting with Dr. B in NY for 15 years now*)! He is great*)! Locally in SC County we have Dr. T in Watsonville, Dr. R in Santa CRuz, Dr. F, Dr. B, Nurse Practitioner CQ,
Dr.P in Prunedale, Dr. C in San Jose and a couple of others who see a few here and there... But who's the best>?! Dr. S in SF is the bestest*)!*)!*)! He saved my life.
Dr. Y is the best in SOurthern CA and Dr. O is the best in the middle*)!

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the same about Dr. Y no longer practicing due to ? I don't know.

We need an LLMD down here in SD. And one that takes insurance as payment in full for the visits.

Dr. Y's office told me (in 2002)I would have to pay $$$ plus have my insurance billed (Medicare & Medi Cal). Plus make mandatory $50 monthly contributions to the clinic whether I was seen that month or not.

That didn't settle with me as her web site implied they treated anyone regardless of their financial situation.

If I had the $$$, no problem. I understood the clinic really needed financial help.

But they wouldn't make an appt. for me until I sent in the $$$. Somehow, I finally got an appt. without the $$$ up front. It was several months ahead of time hoping to have the $$$ in time for the appt.

Then, something happened to the clinic and my appt. was cancelled. I heard Dr. Y is excellent from other Lyme patients but just her staff was extremely difficult to deal with.

If she was still practicing, and would take my insurance as complete payment, I wouldn't hesitate to see her. At least for a consult. Her office is like a 15 minute drive from my home.

My primary doc is trying to help with Lyme since 2003 but I don't think he is treating it agressively enough. Also won't treat for co infections without positive labs.

Dr. H is who started my treatment as he was seeing patients in San Diego in 2002. But then relocated. He is great. And money was not an issue with him at all. His fees were extremely reasonable for an LLMD. He insisted that the important thing was to get started on treatment.

I don't have a car working that would get me to Long Beach. Nor the $ for visits. Otherwise I would still be seeing him. And probably be seeing improvement by now.

Sorry for ranting. Would you like an invite to my pity party?

Anyway, Dr. H is great. "Kind" is an understatement.

------------------
Tabby

ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 12 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YUP,YUP,YUP, kind is definately an understatement where Dr. H is concerned. He is not only a very devoted LLMD he is such a nice man. Nice doesn't do him justice either.

I can't say enough about this kind and gentle man. He is truly concerned about my daughter's health and wellbeing. Just hearing his voice on the phone makes her feel better.

Sometimes it is hard to get through to him on his office phones...........I guess you should just keep trying. Like I have read on here that some other LLMD's also have this problem.

------------------
ICEY

IDAHO LYME SUPPORT GROUP
[email protected]

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squeegee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squeegee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all the raves about Dr. H. Actually, he is AWESOME! He is very intuitive and you can almost "feel" him seeing what is wrong with you just by looking. Can't explain it but those who have gone to him will probably know what I mean.

CaliforniaLyme -- are you sure that Dr. O in Exeter still treats Lyme? When I called his office a couple of months ago they said he no longer did. I wish he did as it's only about 20 minutes away from where I live.

I now see an LLNP who consults with Dr. H. She's in Visalia which is a 40 minute drive for me (but better than the 3 hour drive to Malibu).

Posts: 105 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I now see Dr. S in SF, his practice was closed when I finally was diagosed, so I first (after 6 or 7 other doctors) went to Dr. Y near San Diego for several years-2000-2003. I had to fly from Northern Califorina, so it was inconvenient, but she is a wonderful person (who also has lyme) who took no salary and was running a general non profit clinic with many volunteers in the office, so that may have been part of the problem. They did start charging a lyme clinic monthly charge, because the financial situation was so precarious I believe, but I think she still saw patients who could not afford to pay.

Last I heard, the office was in danger of closing due to financial problems, and she also may have been hassled (second hand info) about "overtreating." She is one of the most caring individuals I have ever met, and after meeting with docs who gave me that patronizing "So you think you have lyme disease" look, {even with a positive test}, it felt like a miracle when she recognized every single symptom I brought up. While I was seeing her, Dr. S. H. also joined the practice for awhile so I saw him as well. Both are the best people and top LLMDs.

I had been on Dr. S's waiting list for some time
when I had shoulder pain so bad I could not get to my app't in So Cal, and as luck would have it, the anti-war demonstrations in SF in March 03 must have caused lots of people to cancel their appointments with Dr. S, so I was offered a "next day" appointment and have seen him ever since.

So if you are on a waiting list, don't give up! And call back once every few months just to check in for openings. Dr. S's two staff members are just the greatest, They are very busy, but always willing to help.

As far as who is best.....Dr. S has the most experience and probably the most influence, and is pretty courageous about telling it like it is to the media, (he also got my insurance company to approve a brain spect scan they had denied initially) and is closest to my home, but I am so grateful to all three of the real LLMD's I have seen that I'd hesitate to declare one "best."

Ann

[This message has been edited by Ann in CA (edited 07 August 2005).]

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Thank you everyone for all your input.

You have provided me with all the info I need to make a really good choice.

Again, many thanks!

Smokey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I've been seeing Dr.S for four years now, I don't know what I would do without him.

Even though he has a huge waiting list, Keep calling and if you can get here to SF in a days notice let then know that. Ask them to call you if they have a cancellation.

You have to leave a message because they don't answer their phones, but they will get back to you, you just have to be persistant but not agressive. They are all very nice and are very very busy.

Best Wishes with your decision.

Cindy

------------------

Posts: 906 | From San Francisco Bay | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't in Southern California, but since others are likely to read this thread, I want to give an enthusiastic recommendation for Dr A's/Dr G's/Dr B's office in santa rosa- they're all supposed to be very good from what I've heard, and there's a naturapath in that office as well.

There's an Sonoma County-wide Lyme email list that a bunch of the patients from this clinic are on (it's not specifically a list for the clinic, just a Lyme list for the county), and everyone seems to say good things there about their experiences at this clinic.

This office handles Lyme with either conventional or alternative therapies (or both), deals with detoxification, and specialises in chronic illnesses in general (MCS, chronic fatigue, mercury/metals intoxication, etc).

I was very happy with the freedom to choose the approach to my treatment that Dr B gave me. My doctor feels like a real partner in my healing, not an overseer of it. He's also been invalueable for helping me navigate the conflicting information from the Internet, both for conventional and alternative therapies.

Appointments are very easy to come by on short notice and the cost is about half of what Dr S's office charges.

They also do phone consults, if desired, once your treatment is working, so after my initial appointment I really havent had to go up there other than for occasional bloodwork, and I do a phone appointment about once a month if I need more information about something. For this reason I think people who travel from out of town for treatment would be well served there.

They're very good at accommodating special needs, too, things like multiple chemical sensitivity and immune issues.

examples:
If someone comes in with the flu, they'll ask you to wear a surgical mask so as to protect immune-compromised patients who are in the building.

There's a huge sign on the door asking people not to come in wearing scents of any kind.

I was in there on the worst stormy day of the year in late december, and the IV nurse went out in the driving rain to do a procedure on someone who couldn't easily get out of their car due to their Lyme disability.

[ 01. February 2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLNP = Lyme Literate Nurse Practitioner.

I see the same one as tickedinTx, except I see her in SF at the office of Dr. S. When I figured out what I had, I just wanted to be treated ASAP. I didn't think I'd survive even a couple more months if I didn't start getting some abx. I'm glad I did.

Dr. S's practice was closed at the time, but he's just in the room next door, and she calls him whenever she has a question about anything.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so sad reading all this. I think all sick Lymies need to be seen and treated. And not all of us have the money for it.

I wish the public health dept would step up to the job of offering diagnosis and treatment for this public health plague! And I know they won't as of now, because of the politics.

So, I think more doctors need to get trained, to handle this incredible and increasing load of patients. And some of them are going to need to take insurance, so we can access them. I believe CALDA sends interested doctors for training.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fly from London UK to see Dr 'H' in Torrance California - He is fantastic.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know that about Dr. O!!!!!!!!!
TOO BAD!!! He was a good one!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I have heard only good things re Doc H and very good things re the LLNP*)!*)!!

We are lucky here in California*)!*)!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fly into CA and see Dr. H. Appointments at the Malibu office are hard to come by. He is only in Malibu 2/days a month, Palo Alto 4 days/month and the rest of the time in Nevada City.

I think he is fantastic!

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In March 2007 Dr H will be in the Palo Alto office at least 8 days, maybe 10 - lyme brain can't remember.
Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambleguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambleguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question for everybody here. I've been undergoing treatment for the last 3 years with only minimal progress, so I am considering checking out a different doctor (I am currently seeing one of the doctors mentioned in this thread now).

My question is: when people here are recommending a particular doctor as "good", what makes that doctor good? Is his treatment working better than other doctors? Is he following a different treatment protocol than other doctors who aren't so good?

My current doctor's method has been to try a different set of oral antibiotics every 6 months or so. Nothing more than that. Are the good doctors doing anything different than that?

Posts: 139 | From Chico, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement