LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Dr. M in Texas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. M in Texas?
Spiderlily
Member # 15859

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Spiderlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know him or know of him? Thanks [Smile] .

Spiderlily

[ 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Lou B ]

Posts: 21 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lily,

fyi, this dr. is NO longer on our llmd list; that tells you something right there.

have you posted in SEEKING DR. section asking for TEXAS llmds and the largest city/closest to you all goes in subject line ok!!! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiderlily
Member # 15859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiderlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Betty.

I'd like to know why he's no longer on the list. He was recommended to me. Is he incompetent?

Spiderlily

Posts: 21 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyma Bean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1914

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. M is FAR from incompetent. He is my LLMD and I absolutely adore him. He IS a human being and like with anyone, some will like him and some will not. I used to be a fairly regular poster here but I stopped because of the negativity towards Dr.M.

My advice would be to try him out and see. Not everyone can travel out of state for help. He may just be a good match for you [Smile]

Good Luck and Take Care....Terri

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. I see Dr. M and he has been wonderful for me. I honestly don't see why he was taken off "the list".
He takes my insurance (United Healthcare) and his staff is very friendly.
He has a dry sense of humor for sure but he is more than competent in my experience. The hubby likes him too.
Dawn

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way I'd go to him. Sorry. He's not necessarily incompetent. It's the other stuff.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echostef
Unregistered

I have worked in the healthcare field in DFW for 10 years, and I am at the top of my field in my profession.

When I became ill, one of the docs that I was employed by was not only on D (Dallas) Magazine's top 10 doctors, but head of one of the largest hospitals in Dallas.

After it became obvious that I had Lyme, he called me personally to advise me NOT to see Dr. M in Bedford.

His words were "DR. M is the kind of doctor that preys on sick people."

He basically told me that, not only does the man have a horrid reputation, but that he will charge his patients for everything possible and give them unnecessary treatments and meds, simply for the profit.

He also told me that "no matter how far I have to travel to find a competent LLMD, DO NOT go to Dr. M."

There was absolutely no reason for him to call and give me false info on this doctor...
Of all the other doctors I have spoken to in DFW, not one has anything good to say about Dr. M.

Thank goodness that I found a great LLMD, who just happens to live 20 minutes from my home.

My daughter sees another very competent LLMD in LA, and it is well worth the 5 hour drive.

I would NEVER trust Dr. M with my treatment.

Lyma Bean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That accusation is entirely FALSE. Dr. M is one of the few LLMDs that takes insurance. The only thing I pay is my out of network co-pay. Can ya'll please get off his case. If you don't want to recommend him- FINE but please do not go spreading rumors about him on a public board [Mad]
Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echostef
Unregistered

I am sorry if this offends you.

Everyone, however, is entitled to their own opinion. And this opinion is coming from one of the highest rated cardiologists in Dallas.

He is one of many, many professionals in the medical field who have been dissatisfied with Dr M. This is not including the myriad of Lymies that I have spoken to that swear they will never return to his office again.

Having Lyme is a horrible experience in the first place, and, before I entrusted my care to a physician, I would like to know what EVERYONE has to say about him.

Not just the good points, but the bad and the ugly as well.

Also, I have never had a problem with LLMDs taking insurance. I have PHCS and my daughter has Humana.

Both my LLMD in Denton, TX and hers in Pineville, LA both accept a large list of insurance carriers, including ours. I pay $25 per visit for each of them, and that is it.

You may be happy with Dr. M, and that is great for you.

But people are entitled to know the perceptions that other doctors and patients have of him.

Spiderlily
Member # 15859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiderlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was diagnosed with MS last year but for several reasons I think it's very likely he has Lyme instead. We scheduled an appointment with Dr. M.

Then I found this board a few days before the appointment, and decided to ask your opinions. I feel bad now, I sure didn't want to cause any conflict here!

Anyway, we've been to see Dr. M once and I have to say it was a good experience.

Understand, it was my husband's appointment, so I mostly just watched and listened, and asked questions occasionally. Dr. M answered me respectfully and clearly.

He listened to my husband's history, examined his MRI films carefully and explained all the things he considered significant. He spoke to my husband as if he were an intellectual equal, but didn't bury him in medical jargon.

Dr. M said only complimentary things about hubby's current neuro. He seemed impressed that she had ordered a Lyme test, and said that few doctors understand that that test (Labcorp ELISA, I think) is usually worthless. From reading this board, I know this to be true.

He wanted to test me as well, after my husband's results come back, because my risk factors are even higher than his even though I don't have obvious symptoms. However, I asked him to go ahead and do it now, and he agreed.

He accepts our insurance, even though he's not on the PPO network. His fees are about what my hubby's current neuro charges.

The B-12 levels came back already low for both of us, and I know that he sent my husband's results to his current neuro.

So, so far so good with Dr. M. We'll see what happens next. I do understand how some people would not get on with him at all. He is brusque to be sure; I can see how some people would find his manner offensive. My hubby and I didn't.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Spiderlily

echostef
Unregistered

I wish you nothing but the very best with your treatment, Spiderlily.

I am not trying to pit one doctor against another...

In fact, sometimes I worry that my LLMD will get so overloaded with new patients that he won't know what to do!

I just feel that it is necessary to share the information that was relayed to me by some very, very reliable physicians who were truly interested in my treatment and recovery.

Please take solace in knowing that, if, for some reason your current doctor does not work out, there are several others in the area that are fabulous in treating Lyme.

With kindest regards,
Stefanie

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to all,

in order to be fair here, i just copied the link here and put in my texas info for this bedford dr; members can make their OWN decisions and check things out!

fair enough; don't you think ? Betty...win-win!

Dawnee
Unregistered

Thank you Betty. Yes I think that is fair.

The only other thing I want to say is that if any one gave any other LLMD a bad review they would be griped at mercilessly for spreading rumors on a public forum.

Anyone can say that their source is reliable ... it still doesn't make it true.

I can understand someone having a personal opinion after actually meeting with the doctor. But I have had people tell me horrid things about my LLMD and in the same sentence say they "don't know for sure..." or they heard it from someone who knew someone. No PROOF but "I heard.."
Well for petes sake don't say something you don't know for a fact is true!
Off my soap box [spinning smile]

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've had personal experience with some llmd's and so i only know what happened to me.

each individual is soooo different, it's hard to say. a man will like one doctor, a woman will hate him, a child will like this one, i love my vet and so does my husband...

it just depends...

i'd say make your own appointment and then judge for yourself. take everyone's opinion into consideration and then make up your own mind...

i give a doctor a chance, but if i start hearing from numerous sources that have personal experiences, then i'd probably shy away...

i just don't have the money to waste...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echostef
Unregistered

I have encountered some pretty bad docs in my search for the tx of Lyme.

It is a shame that one has to continually look out for one's self when trying to get better.

I found an outstanding LLMD by word of mouth, and I avoided one that way, too.

People are people before they are physicians.

Doctors are not deified beings, they are mostly just people with a profession, like most of us.

Remember that the almighty dollar plays a huge part in this horrific game.

I refuse to have to try to figure out if some is trying to swindle me while I am trying to save my life.

HikerTex
Member # 21613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HikerTex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are still on this network, could you please tell me who your LLMD is or at least give me enough clues so i can figure it out? THanks,
I'm pretty desperate for help...

quote:
Originally posted by echostef:
I have encountered some pretty bad docs in my search for the tx of Lyme.

It is a shame that one has to continually look out for one's self when trying to get better.

I found an outstanding LLMD by word of mouth, and I avoided one that way, too.

People are people before they are physicians.

Doctors are not deified beings, they are mostly just people with a profession, like most of us.

Remember that the almighty dollar plays a huge part in this horrific game.

I refuse to have to try to figure out if some is trying to swindle me while I am trying to save my life.

Posts: 2 | From Dallas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll PM you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement