LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Mosquito bites turn into bulls-eye

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mosquito bites turn into bulls-eye
OregonDad
Member # 16332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OregonDad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been searching for answers. My 7 year old girl has been bitten by mosquitoes from a camping trip (6 days ago). The bites turned into large 2-3" bulls-eye marks. She has been diagnosed with Lymes disease(7/12/08), but they say it has to be from ticks. Now her other mosquito bites are becoming bulls-eye shaped. I am very concerned that it may be something even more serious. Do you know what we should do? We went with our church group to Diamond lake in Oregon. Millions of mosquitoes! All of the kids were covered with bites. Our children had over 30 a piece, and we covered them with deet. It didn't work. What about all the other kids? If it is caused by mosquitos, then we have approx. 50 more kids just in our group at risk. Do you know what we should do or anybody that could help?
Posts: 8 | From Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep--I think something like 1% of mosquitos carry Lyme.

I actually just got re-exposed to it from one 2 weeks ago.

Anyway--it's CRUCIAL that you get her to a doctor who follows
the treatment protocols of the International Lyme and
Associated Disease Society immediately. They're pretty much
the only ones aware of this fact, and, as the rash is diagnostic
for Lyme, you NEED their help. Believe me, an 18 year-old
losing his mind from this illness--there is nothing
more serious than Lyme!

In the mean time--take some pictures of your bullseye
and show them to a local doc.[/I] Tell this one it's from a tick![/I]

As for prevention--bug spray, and possibly stocking up on doxycycline somehow?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We believe we were infected by mosquitoes and not ticks.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take pictures of her rash!!!!!

It may be the difference between insurance coverage for lyme treatment down the road.

Also, try to find a lyme literate md for her. Or have a "good" doctor consult with Dr. J in Ct.

Try to limit sugar--lyme bugs LOVE it and it makes symptoms and treatment worse.

Yes, mosquitos can carry lyme--or she did get a tick bite that you didn't see. The rashes can appear anywhere and aren't just at the site of the bite.

I know a little girl here bit by a tick a few weeks ago who presented with rashes head to toe, not at the bite site.

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending Referrals Dad

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did "DAD" see this??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

OregonDad:

I have broken down your post so that more people can read it.

Many of us here have neurolyme and need text to be in small chunks with lots of white space. You will get more replies this way.

==========

original post, broken down:

I have been searching for answers. My 7 year old girl has been bitten by mosquitoes from a camping trip (6 days ago).

The bites turned into large 2-3" bulls-eye marks. She has been diagnosed with Lymes disease(7/12/08), but they say it has to be from ticks.

Now her other mosquito bites are becoming bulls-eye shaped.

I am very concerned that it may be something even more serious.

Do you know what we should do? We went with our church group to Diamond lake in Oregon. Millions of mosquitoes! All of the kids were covered with bites.

Our children had over 30 a piece, and we covered them with deet. It didn't work. What about all the other kids?

If it is caused by mosquitos, then we have approx. 50 more kids just in our group at risk. Do you know what we should do or anybody that could help?

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

OregonDad,

I live in Portland.

I see Meg has contacted you. And I posted the links for support groups here at another thread you had. I can post those again, but I need to rest for a while.

YES, this can be lyme and, YES, time is of the essence.

Yes, ALL the children - anyone who got bitten should be contacted once you have some more details and someone they can see about this.

As someone else said: TAKE PHOTOS of the rash. Take many.

Take with a clean coin or ruler to indicate actual size. Take with a dated magazine or newspaper to prove date. And show face in photo to prove it is the person/patient's rash.

You will need these if the rash fades.

-

tests may not show yet. AND co-infections are possible, too. however, if from mosquitoes, I am not sure if the range of coinfections is the same as with ticks.

there are medical articles showing mosquitoes to carry lyme

PubMed is one place to look. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

www.ilads.org ILADS

testing: Igenex - www.igenex.com

Oregon Support Groups:

www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Oregon/

-
We don't have any LLMDs here and lyme is a very controversial topic among doctors. I do have one name for you of a ND who has worked alongside some LLMDs in other states.

I will PM you my phone number and you can call me after 11:00 am. if you want that phone number.

You may have already been led to someone who can help you, but if not please do call and I'll do my best to connect you to help.

Best of luck.

For now: ANYONE HAVE MEDICAL ABSTRACTS REGARDING MOSQUITO TRANSMISSION OF Bb?

I know there are documented cases in Eastern Europe.

I have to rest for a while. I'll be back.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

This is not about mosquitoes, but about the treatment situation - background.

Co-infections (other tick-borne infections or TBD - tick-borne disease) are not discussed here do to space limits. Still, any LLMD you would see would know how to assess/treat if others are present.

http://tinyurl.com/2dmvs2

From the May 2007 issue of Clinical Advisor (home page: www.clinicaladvisor.com )

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR"
By Virginia Savely, RN, FNP-C

As two medical societies battle over its diagnosis and treatment, Lyme disease remains a frequently missed illness. Here is how to spot and treat it.

Excerpts:

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

`` . . .Patients with Lyme disease almost always have negative results on standard blood screening tests and have no remarkable findings on physical exam, so they are frequently referred to mental-health professionals for evaluation.

"...If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

. . . * Clinicians do not realize that the CDC has gone on record as saying the commercial Lyme tests are designed for epidemiologic rather than diagnostic purposes, and a diagnosis should be based on clinical presentation rather than serologic results.

. . . Once disseminated throughout the body, B. burgdorferi secludes itself and becomes difficult to detect through laboratory testing--and by the host's immune system.

The bacterium may hide in its host's WBCs or cloak itself with host proteins.

. . . Furthermore, it tends to hide in areas not usually under immune surveillance, such as scar tissue, the central nervous system, the eyes, and deep in joints and other tissues.

- FULL ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE.

-

[ 16. July 2008, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284

Connecticut Attorney General's Office

Press Release

Attorney General's Investigation Reveals Flawed Lyme Disease Guideline Process, IDSA Agrees To Reassess Guidelines, Install Independent Arbiter

May 1, 2008

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal today announced that his antitrust investigation has uncovered serious flaws in the Infectious Diseases Society of America's (IDSA) process for writing its 2006 Lyme disease guidelines and the IDSA has agreed to reassess them with the assistance of an outside arbiter.

- cont'd at link.

Printable version: www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284&pp=12&n=1

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

BTW: Avoid any creams or lotions that contain steroids, even in tiny amounts. We can back that up but that comes from ILADS experts.

------------------------------------------------

In hopes of finding a few perfect medical articles, I've posted a call for documents in the medical forum. I can more a little later, but I've not looked into this before and am really slow. I will try to find someone who has what you need.

Click onto this URL later to see what we are gathering for you:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=069131#000001

Topic: MOSQUITO transmission of Bb - I need documents

-

NJLyme82
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLyme82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that she may have been bitten by mosquitos AND a tick?

You're doctor should know that not everyone remembers a tick.

I never remembered a tick bite and I never had a rash and I had Lyme disease for sure many years ago and have complications today as a result if it.

Time is of the essence. Like everyone else said, get to an LLMD ASAP.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with and treated for late stage Lyme in 1991 with 6 weeks of doxycycline. Initially felt better, but then developed health problems that last until today.

Posts: 83 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I had a bull's eye around a mosquito bite several years ago, and I KNOW it was a mosquito bite (and not a tick bite), because I killed the mosquito that bit me.

In fact, when I killed it, I think I pushed its mouth parts into my leg.

As a kid, my mom used to say I must be allergic to mosquito bites because I'd get bull's eyes every summer - at least one or two.

And if there was any doubt that mosquitos carried Lyme or any of these coinfections in the past, they do now, at least in PA, because every day during the summer I get at least 5 or more fresh ones.

Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the doctor diagnosed your daughter with Lyme, did he prescribe any antibiotics for the Lyme?

It's possible that your daughter may have received a tick bite along with mosquito bites.

The ticks that carry Lyme can be very tiny...the size of the tip of a pencil.

Your daughter may not have notice it if it were on her. Many don't.

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

LLMD PEDIATRICIAN?

Can someone PM OregonDad the names of LLMD pediatricians, please? I know there are very few in the whole country.

-

bettyg
Unregistered

keebler,

MEG DID after his initial post earlier today.

thx for helping him all you can and then more!! [group hug] [kiss]

Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to ease everyone's concerns about Dad, he has been sent Pediatric LLMD info....

I'm also urging him to post on the board to receive more input from others here, and to contact a Dr A.S.A.P.

Thanks Betty [kiss]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Thanks for your note, Meg.

I was not sure if a Pediatric LLMD was on the list - even if out of state.

-

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler,

you have a HEART FULL OF GOLD .... HEARTFELT CARING FOR OTHERS going thru this hell and especially CHILDREN getting help ASAP so they do NOT end up like us chronic lyme patients for DECADES!

when your parents created YOU, they broke the mold! heartfelt thanks for all you do DAILY here with info, medical links, etc!

you are another VIP on this board whose goal it is to educate and "steere" them away from infectious drs. to our good LLMDS!

sorry, couldn't resist the pun.... shame on me! [lol] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement