LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Is there a vet in the house?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a vet in the house?
Lazer'sMom
Member # 4704

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lazer'sMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
........or anyone with pets.

I am looking for opinions about the topical treatments that are available for flea and tick control for dogs.

My Golden Retriever and German Shephard seem to have an excessive number of ticks on them this spring.

I have always used the "Frontline Plus" product on my dogs for control of fleas and ticks, but this spring it just does not seem to be doing the trick for the ticks.

I was at my vet's office yesterday and was advised not to apply the Frontline more than once every 30 days. I also asked about switching to the "Advantix" product and was told that it was less effective for controling ticks but more effective on mosquitos.

Anyone have a preference between the two or know of a better product out there that may help?

Thanks!

andrea

Posts: 21 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bel1268
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bel1268     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should treat your yard. I hated having to use pesticides but we have no choice and it works great. I was told by others on this board that sevin is not a toxic as other pesticides so we went with that. Be careful with any pesticide as it is toxic to animals.

Our dogs are fenced off with electric fence which is pulled away front the brushline and we treat that area along with a small portion of the brushline first.

We wait a couple days, return the dogs to the fenced area and treat the remaining property. We live on five acres so it is impossible to treat the entire property so we concentrate on the lawn and woodline.

I still use frontline every 30 days which really does nothing but protect me and my husband...
Stacey

My neighbor is in the bug business and he swears by Talstar.

[This message has been edited by bel1268 (edited 05 May 2004).]

Posts: 240 | From Southern Maryland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liquid Seven you can get at Wal-Mart or any farm supplly store.

I have an indoor/outdoor large cat, 23 lbs, and a standard Poodle....never any fleas or ticks on them cause I treat the yard especially the outer edges where they come in from. I do this in the early Spring and then again during July or August.

Works every time, every year.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KBear
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from my vet, and she said the Frontline is better than Advantx for ticks. I used Frontline for years then the vet switched to Advantix. This is a new vet I go to now who says the frontline is better, so I'm going to put them back on Frontline.

The reason I was there is because my 3 year old Springer was limping. He tested positive for lyme
So now I have officialy become a "lyme family". My two dogs are like my kids.

I'm not sure how good any of the topical stuff is because the tick still has to bite the dog for it to work. As Stacey said, it probably protects us more than the dog.

The ticks ARE bad this year.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bel1268
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bel1268     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to clerify that our electric fence is real electric fence like you use for livestock not the underground fence.

Real electric fence is very inexpensive, easy to install and is not visible unless you are right on top of it.

They sell plastic adaptors you can attach to trees or you can buy the fence posts. We use the green metal fence post which blend in with the trees...

We use the thin rope type with very thin wire running through it and it is much easier to handle than the wire type. This works great for us and also keep any strays out of the yard.

Check your local Farm/feed supplier as they will have the rolls of thin rope, electrical box, poles and adaptors.

Stacey

Posts: 240 | From Southern Maryland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

We use pesticides on the lawn and we also give our dogs garlic tablets which seems to help repel the bugs. The garlic seems to work for the mosquitoes and fleas and I haven't seen any ticks on them either. Barb

Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrea...how are you doing?

Here is some food for thought: No matter what you use on your animals they can still carry ticks inside if the ticks just hitched a ride before entering the house!!! These products to not kill in seconds. Your family is still at risk.

The only way to minimize that risk is to spray your yard. The best way is to have a professional service do it, as the chemicals are very toxic. One must also consider ground water pollution form the spraying.

Hope for dry weather which dries out ticks.

Do NOT be concerned with only the deer...the MAIN vector for spreading Lyme Disease is the mouse, with birds also spreading the ticks along their migratory routes.

Do you know how small the Nymph stage of the deer tick is??? The size of a POPPY seed, and not as dark. Now think how hard it is to see something like this on your carpet, couch or bedding...or body!!!

Indoor is the safest place for your cat. As for dogs, well you know...

Good luck, and here is to a Tick-Free summer for everyone!

Peace, love and wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Permethrin spray (not pyrethrin) at .05% is the same thing as frontline, you can get it as horse spray in a feed store, either concentrated or premixed. Concentrated is the best buy and the directions tell you how to mix it. You can save a ton of money that way.
You can also use it on your clothes @ two weeks.
Its much cheaper to buy it this way.
also I kept a stiff brush by the door and every time the cat came in he got brushed well.
I don't use tick repellent collars as the ticks hang on just long enough to drop off in the house
Up here on Cape Cod I get ticks on the cat even with treating the yard. My neighbors in the condo here have tons of birdfeeders and its impossible to keep all ticks out, but spraying does help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement