LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Dr. Marshall's work with Benicar (part 2) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dr. Marshall's work with Benicar (part 2)
lymewarrior03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewarrior03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Maybe it is healthy for everyone to be able to air opinions, pain, and fears as well as discuss the new ideas scientifically.

Maybe it would be more useful to discuss the ideas and reactions in the medical world without being judgemental.

[This message has been edited by lymewarrior03 (edited 08 May 2004).]

Posts: 661 | From NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear Scott and Bpeck!

Thank you both for exposing me to Marshall's work. I've been so busy with other things that I've been unable to be on Lymenet while this was becoming a hot topic.

This is the most exciting thing I've read in years! Thank you for your patient tutorials and open discussion. So often the really interesting topics such as this are not on the public forums.

The science sure seems to be there. Of course, I'm the slow type who likes to read and fully synthesize things for myself. I've found your explanations and tutorials very helpful in doing so.

BTW Scott, I owe you thanks for a journal article that you passed along to me a while back. It was something I had been trying to get my hands on. I can't begin to tell you how very helpful that was.

Like many of you, I become pretty single minded when I find something this interesting. It is a trait I admire.

I can't imagine life without a passionate interest in something - for me, it has always been knowledge, understanding and answers. This does look very promising and I find your passion to be very contagious.

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jseaton357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Scott seems arrogant it should be forgiven him for the time being. I think what has happened is he feels so damn good that he can't believe no one else is following his thinking, so he can easily get frustrated while he shakes his head seeing all of us "in the dark". Hopefully I have good results on Benicar when I try it as well and I'll be viewed as arrogant. Twould be nice :-)
Jason

Posts: 15 | From Wilmington NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jseaton357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nelly, you bring up an excellent point! This reminds me of my experience on dexamethasone 5 years ago that I discussed on the CFSExp list. I not only felt cured, but it made my thinking so clear that I entered a state of hypomania. I came across as arrogant compared to my usual humble self. I just felt so intelligent after being able to use my brain effectively that I had little compassion on all the normal healthy people that seemed like their brains were now the slow ones. So if Scott has entered hypo-mania that is somewhat of a good sign, believe it or not, as he may be getting good blood flow going to his brain and he is feeling very good and he would subsequently have little tollerance for those who question the success of a protocol that is making him feel so wonderful--why would he need any studies to prove something that he is feeling? Hypomania is a state that feels better than any state one could imagine. It is not uncommon for people in this state to get up in middle of the night with so much energy they start washing the shower and doing other tasks and end up talking and very quickly which then scares off others that knew them as a slower talking person. I guess you have to be there to know what it feels like to feel so good and then see others around you reject the message. I am concerned of course that not everybody will feel as good as Scott does on Benicar. Hopefully many will. Oh, btw, as for JRWagner's post in Part I about normal healthy people still getting lyme and how Benicar returning the immune system to a normal state would be therefore moot, I don't totally buy this reasoning b/c it could be argued that lyme overpowers a healthy immune system through inflammation first and then once this vicious cycle or cascade is set the pathogen has a free reign in the body to go about relatively unstopped. Benicar taken before that initial tick bite that brough on lyme for instance just may have stopped that same person from ever having gotten lyme. You just never know. So even though you don't have to be too accepting, don't be so skeptical either. All this bickering is somewhat comical to me as an outsider but it gets us no where either and is not good for some people's stress. So try to relax, gang and don't take things personally when people say certain things on here.
Jason

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nellypointis:
[B]What bothered me right from the start, is the slightly "manic' tone of Scott's posts.

Posts: 15 | From Wilmington NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Jason did the drug you got excited about 5 years ago have lasting effects? what happened?

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Li1dreamer625
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep up the great work Scott!! This information is helping many already.

If you aren't passionate when you believe in something then you will never do much good with it. That stuff about being "manic" is absurd.

A very wise friend of mine often says
"You can always spot the pioneers - they are the ones with the arrows in their backs"

Thank God for our pioneers. Were would we be without them?

It's a tough job but someone's got to do it. Thanks!!!! -tami

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jseaton357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, well I took it after a nose and tonsil surgery to reduce inflammation. What it must have done is similar to what Benicar does as it apparently removed so much inflammation my thinking increased to where I could memorize things with ease, had no problems with word recall or any cogntive problems (and I was in denial I had any before this). It is normally given for about 5 days I think but I took it for 13 days and my thinking actually got better for several days after that and I entered into hypomania where I only needed 4 hours sleep and woke up feeling like taking on the world and letting nothing standing in the day. After the 3 week mark it began to fade and I got worse than ever before. Dexamethasone is perhaps the most powerful corticosteroid there is and it probably suppressed my adrenals and my immune system and allowed latent infections (like lyme) a chance to come out and that is when I got the full stage CFS. I would not recommend anyone taking dexamethasone more than 5 days. As you may know, Dr. Burrascano says to doctors if they even remotely suspect their patient having lyme to not even think about putting them on corticosteroids. It certainly did me in! But boy what a great 2 weeks that was. If Benicar can do what dexamethasone did w/o the immune suppressing properties of corticosteroids then I may have a miracle on my hands. Should hope to report on Benicar in about a month from now when I get my hands on it. Meanwhile, if anyone finds a good online pharmacy for US that does not require prescription please let us know. Thanks. My LLMD's office is in VA and I no longer live there and try not to do any phone consults until I have several prescriptions I need written all at once.
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by robi:
So Jason did the drug you got excited about 5 years ago have lasting effects? what happened?

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for free2reckon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning everyone,

Please note that corticosteroids or prednisone other steroids such as dexamethasone can inhibit the inflammatory cascade we are dealing with. However, remember that the steroids are potent immuno-suppressive agents, which reduces the immunes systems ability to defend itself against our pathogen.

One of the major advantages of Benicar, is that it reduces inflammation and enhances the immunes systems ability to fight infection...not suppress it.

Steroids can't be taken long term...they are catabolic and will lead to many deleterious effects to the body.

Benicar can be taken long term if necessary without any known deleterious effects.

Actually folks, IMO...in the future, we'll see Benicar, or an improvement there of, used to prevent inflammatory illnesses like heart disease...etc. In place of, or in conjunction with, low-dose asprin.

Keep in mind, Marshall's discovery of this inflammatory cascade is a major medical breakthrough in our understanding of the immune system and of the many inflammatory diseases associated with it.

It's truely amazing!

Scott

Posts: 548 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott said: Benicar can be taken long term if necessary without any known deleterious effects.

This is an absolutely outrageous thing to say!!! YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.

It has not been used very long and it has only been used on a largish scale in much smaller amounts than the dosages rec by Marshall and Scott. So how the Hell can you make such a assertion?

BTW: I just realised that I called Scott "Trevor" in my last post, sorry for that, my brain has not been Benicar-cleaned up yet!

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for free2reckon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tami,

Thank you for posting such an encouraging message.

I like this quote:

"You can always spot the pioneers - they are the ones with the arrows in their backs"

I'd like to share a personal side of me...by now many of you know I'm a passionate person.

My favorite movie of all time is Mel Gibson's, Braveheart.

My children tell me that my passion reminds them of William Wallace (played by Mel Gibson) in that movie. They bought the DVD for me for Christmas several years ago...I watch it frequently.

Mel Gibson plays William Wallace as a very passionate freedom fighter for Scotland.

I picture myself in a similar role here...I'm sort of a freedom fighter too. I haven't chosen this path...neither did William Wallace (in the movie anyway, actual history is debatable).

This disease has forced me to confront it. I either fight for freedom or succumb to defeat.

With that in mind, I remember my favorite and the most passionate scenes of the movie.

It takes place prior to the battle at Stirling. There, William Wallace is addressing his fellow Scotsmen who are reluctant to fight:

William Wallace: ....you stand here in defiance of tyranny...you've come to fight as free men....and free men you are.

What will you do with that freedom?

Will you fight?

Soldiers:....grumbling say, ...No, against that, we will run and we will live.

William Wallace: ....aye, fight and you may die,...run, you'll live...at least a while.

And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for one chance....Just One Chance!... to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll NEVER take our FREEDOM!!!

Fellow soldiers against Lyme disease, I see ourselves in a similar situation. We can chose to fight or we can be coward and run.

I fight for freedom from this disease. I really have no choice.

Freedom to all,

Scott

Posts: 548 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited...

[This message has been edited by free2reckon (edited 13 May 2004).]

nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott, let me share this with you... make way, Brave Heart, for I shall...CHUNDER!!!!
Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by free2reckon:
I agree, time will tell...it's just my opinion that it's safe...you don't have to agree with my opinion...though I'm frequently right.

Scott

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

Scott, out of all the points you repeat you are missing a powerful rebuttal in the "our blood pressure is too low already" excuse to not dive into Benicar and that is simply take licorice. End of argument. Of course one might argue that low blood pressure is not an issue b/c while on Benicar it should eventually correct itself anyway but still, some might be scared of initial dizziness they may get when starting Benicar and that is understandable and licorice should very well be the cure for this imho. I went to doc who blamed CFS on adrenal exaustion (very oversimplified approach now in retrospect) several years ago, Dr. Poesnecker (http://www.chronicfatigue.org), who is now deceased bless his heart. He had all of his patients with low blood pressure and/or especially those with low morning cortisol take Baschetti licorice in milk (milk activates/potentiates it much more effectively) first thing in morning on empty stomach. My bp went from low 80's/50's to 110/60's. It can be very powerful at raising bp so be sure to not take too much and it should be used by those with low bp only and good idea to monitor bp as well. Watch out for signs of edema too, but again, just don't take too much. Dr. Poesnecker safely treated thousands with licorice. Perhaps a few days of licorice before starting Benicar is all that is needed to get bp up enough to where they won't feel dizzy upon starting it, then come off of it as the Benicar begins to paradoxically normalize bp. Licorice inhibits breakdown of aldosterone and thereby increases it. Good luck.
Jason

rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, would not the milk make you have more Vit D and we don't need that. Besides, I am lactose intolerant and don't drink milk.

But, would just any licorice raise the BP? Or it has to be that and taken in milk?

Just curious...

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pennyhoule
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pennyhoule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jason,

Licorice might be a good idea in the begining when you're feeling dizzy and concerned about low B, but I don't know for sure. I did consider it when I was feeling woozy. However, Dr. Marshall is not a proponent of licorice or B vitamins in the early phases because they contain some vitamin D.

I think it's really important to get those d tests done in the beginning. See if this is an issue for us. Regardless, vitamin D is involved in the inflammation cycle in some way. It's some kind of steroidal hormone precursor which I can't explain, but affects the parathyroid among other things. It's the rapid drop of the 1,25-D that causes a shift in the hormones, along with suppressing the inflammatory process and activating the immune system, and it's a combination of these things that causes some of the initial symptoms of dizziness and fatigue.

I had one night of extreme itching. Really bizarre, as I'm not even on abx yet. But Marshall says that's a herx from my own immune system finally being freed up enought to recognize the pathogens. That's exciting! Oddly, in the past I dealt with my itching by taking large amounts of b vitamins (licorice), and it stopped the itching. Now, with this latest itching episode, I'm wondering if the B was helping or simply stopping the immune system's ability to respond to the pathogens by increasing the inflammatory cascade? This is Marshall's concern, that a lot of supplements are designed to boost the immune system. In the wrong way. We don't want to suppress it, we just want it freed up to work properly. Boosting it with supplements may actually be contributing to the inflammatory cascade.

penny

Posts: 142 | From San Diego California | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pennyhoule:
I think it's really important to get those d tests done in the beginning. See if this is an issue for us.

I concur wholeheartedly with Penny about the baseline testing recommended by Trevor Marshall.

I also concur with the analogy that we are all pioneers on the frontier here. We owe it to ourselves and to those who follow after us, and we owe it especially to Trevor Marshall too, to get the recommended baseline testing done FIRST, BEFORE starting Benicar.

I suspect that late-stage Lyme disease might actually turn out to be an "atypical" presentation of sarcoidosis, based on a couple of PubMed abstracts I found about Bb and granuloma in the bone marrow. (I posted those abstracts elsewhere.)

We owe it to ourselves and to other patients, and we owe it to our prescribing doctors and LLMDs, to get the baseline testing (link, below) done because we don't want to put their licenses to practice medicine in jeopardy by failing to do so.
http://www.sarcinfo.com/d-ratio.htm

This is not expensive testing, at least not in the larger scheme of things, especially considering the enormous cost of this disease for long-term treatment and for loss of productivity. Byron posted elsewhere that the cost of the D-metabolite testing is in the range of $280-$350, if I recall, but I haven't checked it myself. I doubt that ACE testing is all that expensive because it's a pretty routine test nowadays.

Here's the link to the discussion "Phorum" at the SarcInfo website, so that you can see for yourself the importance of doing the baseline testing.

http://sarcinfo.com/phorum/list.php?f=1

Free2Reckon might not feel the need to do these tests himself, but I don't think that's good advice for the rest of us to follow.

I worry that our failure to get the important baseline testing done might jinx a potentially beneficial therapy for other Lyme patients later, if too many Lyme patients rush to start using high doses of Benicar without bothering to get lab data first.

I want this idea to succeed just as much as everyone else does who is thinking about doing it. That's why I believe that it's so important that folks, who are really serious about doing the Marshall Protocol, follow Penny's example and get the recommended lab tests done at baseline FIRST, BEFORE starting Benicar.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are not skipping over this post on the advice of another...

You were not "here" for the ICHT discussions. This is why many of us are very, very cautious.

A doctor who lost his license in the states, went to Italy to give DNP (in a class with cyanide) to "cure" lyme disease and cancer. This very potent acid, greatly speeds up glycolysis - the pathway that lyme, cancer and malaria take.

However, what NB didn't know/realize...that in doing so...this would seriously further deplete the electrolytes - esp. Mg which is used in both pathways to make ATP.

A young doctor, an M.D., with lyme, went to Italy to be "cured". He had a cardiac arrest and died.

Sooo when anyone comes on this board and claims to have found a "cure", several may challenge this.

I have no doubt, you FEEL better! But...will this treatment MAKE you better? Or is it getting OFF the abx. and taking an anti-inflammatory that will "cure"?

ASA...good old aspirin (an anti-inflammatory)also reduces TNF alpha. But those who take Benicar CANNOT TAKE ASPIRIN...the risk of kidney damage goes up above 300mg. per day.
I fear many will not realize/know this. Many pop ASA without a thought.

As a doctor and researcher who has studied immunology and microbiology, why are you not interested in looking at and discussing my documented research, including of late, the Romanian abstract? Look at the % drop of Mg. It is astounding.

Only when we work TOGETHER...sharing information, seeing how this all fits together, will we truly finish this puzzle and find the safest cure.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
But those who take Benicar CANNOT TAKE ASPIRIN...the risk of kidney damage goes up above 300mg. per day. I fear many will not realize/know this. Many pop ASA without a thought.

Thanks for the warning about the dangerous interaction of aspirin together with Benicar, Marnie. That's very valuable to know.

Somewhere under one of these topics, someone else posted an excellent explanation about why supplementing with Ca and Mg isn't beneficial until/unless the D-metabolites are balanced first. It was posted for your benefit, following one of your posts, but I don't think you ever had a chance to see it.

If I knew where to look for it, I would post it again for you, but this topic has been progressing so rapidly that it's hard to keep up with it.

Hopefully, maybe someone else will remember where to find it and can "copy and paste" those remarks here for you and for everyone else who might be feeling confused about this.

I think we all recognize the importance of magnesium, but many of us have taken and do take lots of magnesium. If magnesium were enough to do the trick, then folks wouldn't still be looking for answers.

That's why it's important to put the horse in front of the cart, and not the other way around, if we want to win this race.

Let's focus on the promise of Benicar now to help us balance the D-metabolites in hopes that doing so will allow the magnesium levels to normalize again.

Let's also all remember the importance of measuring those D-metabolites FIRST, BEFORE starting a trial of Benicar. Also, remember to measure ACE too, as recommended by Trevor Marshall.

PS - I'm editing to add another Thank You to Marnie for reminding us about the ICHT fiasco and the disappointing promise of a "quick cure" by Bachynski(sp) in Italy. Scott wasn't around back then, so he can't understand why folks are feeling so wary now of him when he proclaims another miraculous sure-cure.

[This message has been edited by TX Lyme Mom (edited 09 May 2004).]

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Byron2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Byron2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scott,

I read in one of your posts that you have already dropped down in your dosage of Benicar..., it sounds like by half. from 40mg to 20mg...

You have been on the drug for a very short time...is the basis of trevors dosing, based on inflammatory symptoms going away?

From what I understand the drug does not work at regular BP dosages...just curious what you think is happening...

Also...

I get concerned that another mechanism might be in play, like the dialating of the blood vessels....allowing irregular sized or damaged blood cells to pass easier...thus decreasing pain and other symptoms...still a useful but another mechanism entirely at play...

I would be curious if this has been looked at in his research....

Pathologists working with CFIDS noticed that there was a marked size increase in some cells making it difficult for them to pass easily thu the circulatory system...a vasculitis resulting...

Without doing his testing protocol I don't see how someone doing his protocol could tell the difference, which mechanism is in play?

Sounds like you are dosing based on your symptoms, since you have not done the tests... without the tests how will you know to stop the drug? By cutting back and seeing what happens?

Byron2

Posts: 314 | From Sebasopol, California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

quote:

...e.g., I'm already down to 20 mg tid and will likely be able to lower than in the not to distant future.

[This message has been edited by free2reckon (edited 09 May 2004).][/B]

Scott, this perplexed me why you went from 40mg to 20mg. I could swear I read according to Dr. Marshall that too small of a dose can be worse than no dose--if that is true is it only true in the beginning and not after 7 days? Wouldn't you think it is a good idea to stay on 40mg tid for as long as until one gets to the point of a plateau in reduction in symptoms and then go to lower dose to see if they stay at the same level and THEN add in the minocycline and that way one would know what is doing what?
Jason

jseaton357
Member # 5618

Since we are not sarcoidosis patients I don't think we need to worry about Vit D. You could try goats milk or lactose free milk, but if you have a milk allergy then just take capsules on empty stomach and it should still work, just not as great as if with milk. NOW Foods brand makes licorice capsules for instance.
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by rosesisland2000:
But, would not the milk make you have more Vit D and we don't need that. Besides, I am lactose intolerant and don't drink milk.

But, would just any licorice raise the BP? Or it has to be that and taken in milk?

Just curious...

Rosemary

jseaton357
Member # 5618

Ok, well I thought sarc patients are the ones who need to worry about Vit D b/c they have to stay out of the sun which of course gives Vit D. I remember long time ago on CFS list where it was found Vit D was actually beneficial for CFSers and many on the list wondered if that is why they felt better in the summer time when they got in the sun, so for this reason too I don't think we need to worry about Vit D making us much worse. Again, only take licorice if one is using hypotension as a reason to not try Benicar. I hope no one would pass out from taking Benicar if they have hypotension but what do I know.
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by pennyhoule:
Hi Jason,

Licorice might be a good idea in the begining when you're feeling dizzy and concerned about low B, but I don't know for sure. I did consider it when I was feeling woozy. However, Dr. Marshall is not a proponent of licorice or B vitamins in the early phases because they contain some vitamin D.

I think it's really important to get those d tests done in the beginning. See if this is an issue for us. Regardless, vitamin D is involved in the inflammation cycle in some way. It's some kind of steroidal hormone precursor which I can't explain, but affects the parathyroid among other things. It's the rapid drop of the 1,25-D that causes a shift in the hormones, along with suppressing the inflammatory process and activating the immune system, and it's a combination of these things that causes some of the initial symptoms of dizziness and fatigue.

I had one night of extreme itching. Really bizarre, as I'm not even on abx yet. But Marshall says that's a herx from my own immune system finally being freed up enought to recognize the pathogens. That's exciting! Oddly, in the past I dealt with my itching by taking large amounts of b vitamins (licorice), and it stopped the itching. Now, with this latest itching episode, I'm wondering if the B was helping or simply stopping the immune system's ability to respond to the pathogens by increasing the inflammatory cascade? This is Marshall's concern, that a lot of supplements are designed to boost the immune system. In the wrong way. We don't want to suppress it, we just want it freed up to work properly. Boosting it with supplements may actually be contributing to the inflammatory cascade.

penny

jseaton357
Member # 5618

What is it about aspirin that increases chances of kidney damage and is it taking aspirin on extended basis while on Benicar or just aspirin one time at doses higher than 300mg? Typical dosage is 325mg, right? Are there any other things that increase damage to kidneys while taking Benicar? Scott, is this another reason you like 20mg better than 40mg?
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
ASA...good old aspirin (an anti-inflammatory)also reduces TNF alpha. But those who take Benicar CANNOT TAKE ASPIRIN...the risk of kidney damage goes up above 300mg. per day.
I fear many will not realize/know this. Many pop ASA without a thought.

As a doctor and researcher who has studied immunology and microbiology, why are you not interested in looking at and discussing my documented research, including of late, the Romanian abstract? Look at the % drop of Mg. It is astounding.

Only when we work TOGETHER...sharing information, seeing how this all fits together, will we truly finish this puzzle and find the safest cure.

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

From: www.Intelihealth.com (Harvard Medical School and Aetna)

Here is what taking advice from unqualified people can do to you:

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice, Carbenoxolone

Be aware that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not strictly regulate herbs and dietary supplements. There is no guarantee of strength, purity or safety of products containing or claiming to contain licorice. Decisions to use herbs or supplements should be carefully considered. Individuals using prescription drugs should discuss taking herbs or supplements with their pharmacist or health care provider before starting.

Evidence
Unproven Uses
Potential Dangers
Interactions
Dosing
Summary
Resources

Evidence

This monograph discusses licorice; deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), which does not contain glycyrrhizinic acid, a chemical in licorice that causes many side effects; and carbenoxolone, a chemical that can be processed out of licorice. Scientists have studied these three substances for the following health problems:

Peptic ulcer disease
Licorice extracts, DGL and carbenoxolone have been studied for treating peptic ulcers. DGL (but not carbenoxolone) may offer some benefits. However, these studies have been small, with flaws in their designs, and results of different studies have disagreed with each other. Therefore, it is unclear whether there is any benefit from licorice for this condition.
Apthous ulcers, canker sores
Some research suggests that licorice extracts, DGL and carbenoxolone may provide benefits for treating cankers sores. However, studies have been small, with flaws in their designs. The safety of DGL makes it an attractive therapy if it does speed healing of these sores, but it is not clear at this time whether there is truly any benefit.
Bleeding stomach ulcers caused by aspirin
Although there has been some study of DGL in this area, it is not clear what effects DGL has on gastrointestinal bleeding.
Herpes simplex virus
Laboratory studies have found that DGL may hinder the spread and infection of herpes simplex virus. Studies in humans have been small, but they suggest that topical application of carbenoxolone cream may improve healing and prevent recurrence.
Viral hepatitis
The licorice extracts DGL and carbenoxolone have been proposed as possible therapies for viral hepatitis. Animal studies have investigated the mechanism of licorice in hepatitis, and studies in humans have shown some benefits with a patented intravenous licorice preparation that is not available in the United States. Studies using oral licorice have been small, with flaws in their designs. Therefore, it is not clear whether there is any benefit from oral licorice for hepatitis treatment.
High potassium levels resulting from abnormally low aldosterone levels
In theory, because of the known effects of licorice on the kidney, there may be some benefits of licorice for high potassium levels caused by a condition called hypoaldosteronism. There is early evidence in humans in support of this use. However, a qualified health care provider should supervise treatment.
Familial Mediterranean fever
A small clinical pilot study and laboratory study results of a multi-ingredient preparation containing licorice, called Immunoguard, suggest efficacy in managing familial Mediterraneann fever. Well-designed study of licorice alone is necessary to make a recommendation.
Genital herpes
Available studies have not found any benefit from carbenoxolone cream when applied topically to treat genital herpes infections.

Unproven Uses

Licorice has been suggested for many other uses, based on tradition or on scientific theories. However, these uses have not been thoroughly studied in humans, and there is limited scientific evidence about safety or effectiveness. Some of these suggested uses are for conditions that are potentially very serious and even life-threatening. You should consult a health care provider before taking licorice for any unproven use.

Adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease)
Antimicrobial
Antioxidant
Antispasmodic
Aplastic anemia
Asthma
Bacterial infections
Bad breath
Body fat reducer
Bronchitis
Cancer
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Colitis
Colorectal cancer
Constipation
Coronavirus
Cough
Dental hygiene
Depression
Detoxification
Diabetes
Diverticulitis
Dropped head syndrome
Eczema
Epstein-Barr virus Fever
Laryngitis
Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Gentamicin-induced kidney damage
Graft healing
High cholesterol
HIV
Hormone regulation
Inflammation
Inflammatory skin disorders
Liver protection
Lung cancer
Menopausal symptoms
Methicillin-resistance Staphylococcus aureus
Muscle cramps
Obesity
Osteoarthritis
Plaque
Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Rheumatoid arthritis
SARS
Skin disorders
Sore throat
Stomach upset
Urinary tract inflammation

Potential Dangers

Allergies

People should avoid licorice if they have a known allergy to licorice, any component of licorice or any member of the Fabaceae (Leguminosae) plant family. Signs of allergy may include rash, itching or shortness of breath.

Side Effects

Licorice contains a chemical called glycyrrhizic acid, which causes many side effects. DGL has had the glycyrrhizic acid removed and is considered safer for use.

Many of the adverse effects of licorice result from the actions it has on hormone systems in the body. By altering the activities of certain hormones, licorice may cause electrolyte disturbances in some people. These disturbances can include sodium and fluid retention, low potassium levels and metabolic alkalosis. Licorice has caused high blood pressure and negative effects on the brain (hypertensive encephalopathy), with symptoms of serious headache, nausea, vomiting and one-sided weakness. Electrolyte abnormalities may also lead to irregular heartbeats, heart attack, kidney damage, muscle weakness or muscle breakdown. People with congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease, kidney or liver disease, fluid retention, high blood pressure and hormonal abnormalities and those taking diuretics should avoid taking licorice. Abnormally low testosterone levels in men or high prolactin or estrogen levels in women have also been reported. These adverse effects may make it difficult to become pregnant and may cause menstrual abnormalities. Reduced body fat mass has been observed. High doses of licorice may cause temporary vision problems or loss.

Pregnancy And Breast-Feeding

Licorice cannot be recommended during pregnancy and breast-feeding because of the risk of abnormalities caused by altered hormone levels and the possibility of premature labor.

Interactions

Interactions with drugs, supplements and other herbs have not been thoroughly studied. The interactions listed below have been reported in scientific publications. If you are taking prescription drugs, speak with your health care provider or pharmacist before using herbs or dietary supplements.

Interactions With Drugs

In general, prescription drugs should be taken one hour before licorice or two hours after licorice because licorice may increase the absorption of many drugs. Increased absorption may increase the activities and side effects of some drugs including nitrofurantoin. Because the toxicity of digoxin (Lanoxin) is increased when potassium levels are low, people who take digoxin and are interested in using licorice should discuss this with their health care provider. Increased monitoring may be necessary.

Licorice may reduce the effects of blood pressure or diuretic (urine-producing) drugs, including hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone. Furthermore, use of licorice with hydrochlorothiazide may cause potassium levels to fall too low and lead to dangerous complications. Other drugs that can also cause potassium levels to fall too low and are best avoided when using licorice include insulin, sodium polystyrene (kayexalate) and laxatives. Licorice may increase the adverse effects associated with corticosteroids, such as prednisolone, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors, such as phenelzine (Nardil).

Licorice may reduce the effects of birth control pills, hormone replacement therapies and testosterone therapy. Drugs that may increase the tendency for irregular heart rhythms, such as erythromycin or amiodarone (Cordarone), are best avoided when using licorice. In theory, licorice may increase the risk of bleeding when used with anticoagulants (blood thinners) or antiplatelet drugs. Examples include warfarin (Coumadin), heparin and clopidogrel (Plavix). Some pain relievers may also increase the risk of bleeding if used with licorice. Examples include aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, Anaprox). Chewing tobacco may increase the toxicity of licorice gums by causing electrolyte disturbances.

Licorice was shown to increase absorption of diclofenac gel in a rat study. Phosphate salts have been shown to increase licorice absorption.

Interactions With Herbs And Dietary Supplements

Low potassium levels may occur if licorice is used with herbs that have laxative properties, such as senna or psyllium. Herbs that increase the risk of bleeding, such as Ginkgo biloba and garlic (Allium sativum); those that have diuretic properties, such as horsetail (Equisetum arvense); and supplements that lower blood pressure, such as hawthorn (Crataegus laevigata), may have a greater tendency for adverse effects when used with licorice. Licorice may also increase adverse effects associated with herbs that have possible monoamine oxidase inhibitor activity, such as St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum).

Interactions With Laboratory Values

Licorice has been shown to decrease cortisol, ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone), aldosterone and potassium levels in animals. Increases in renin and sodium levels have also been observed.

Dosing

The doses listed below are based on scientific research, publications or traditional use. Because most herbs and supplements have not been thoroughly studied or monitored, safety and effectiveness may not be proven. Brands may be made differently, with variable ingredients even within the same brand. Combination products often contain small amounts of each ingredient and may not be effective. Appropriate dosing should be discussed with a health care provider before starting therapy; always read the recommendations on a product's label. The dosing for unproven uses should be approached cautiously, because scientific information is limited in these areas.

The expert panel German Commission E recommends that licorice be used for only four to six weeks unless under direct medical supervision. However, this is based on the use of relatively large daily doses (five to 15 grams per day). Many experts believe that extended treatments may be safe if lower doses are used. In a four-week study in healthy individuals, recommended doses were well tolerated, with few adverse effects. There are no standard or well-studied doses of licorice, and many different doses are used traditionally.

Adults (Aged 18 Or Older)

Licorice powdered root (4 percent to 9 percent glycyrrhizin): Doses of one to four grams taken by mouth daily, divided into three or four doses, have been used.

Licorice fluid extract (10 percent to 20 percent glycyrrhizin): Doses of two to four milliliters per day have been taken by mouth.

DGL extract tablets: Doses of 380 to 1140 milligrams three times daily taken by mouth 20 minutes before meals have been used.

Carbenoxolone gel or cream: A 2 percent cream or gel has been applied five times a day for seven to 14 days for herpes simplex virus skin lesions.

Children (Younger Than 18)

There are not enough scientific data to recommend licorice for use in children, and licorice is not recommended because of potential side effects.

Summary

Licorice and licorice extracts have been suggested as treatments for many conditions. However, there is not enough scientific evidence to support the use of licorice or licorice extract for any medical condition. Licorice may increase the risk of electrolyte disturbances and hormonal abnormalities and should be avoided in those with heart disease, high blood pressure or underlying hormonal disorders. It should also be avoided in pregnant or breast-feeding women and in children. It is possible that licorice may increase the risk of bleeding. Safety of use beyond four weeks has not been extensively studied. Consult your health care provider immediately if you have any side effects.

The information in this monograph was prepared by the professional staff at Natural Standard, based on thorough systematic review of scientific evidence. The material was reviewed by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School with final editing approved by Natural Standard.

Resources

Natural Standard: An organization that produces scientifically based reviews of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) topics
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM): A division of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services dedicated to research

Selected Scientific Studies: Licorice

Natural Standard reviewed more than 350 articles to prepare the professional monograph from which this version was created.

Some of the more recent English-language studies are listed below:

Amaryan G, Astvatsatryan V, Gabrielyan E, et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, pilot clinical trial of ImmunoGuard: a standardized fixed combination of Andrographis paniculata Nees, with Eleutherococcus senticosus Maxim, Schizandra chinensis Bail and Glycyrrhiza glabra L. extracts in patients with familial Mediterranean fever. Phytomedicine 2003;May, 10(4):271-285.
Arase Y, Ikeda K, Murashima N, et al. The long term efficacy of glycyrrhizin in chronic hepatitis C patients. Cancer 1997;79(8):1494-1500.
Carbonell-Barrachina AA, Aracil P, Garcia E, et al. Source of arsenic in licorice confectionery products. J Agric Food Chem 2003;Mar 12, 51(6):1749-1752.
Cinatl J, Morgenstern B, Bauer G, et al. Glycyrrhizin, an active component of liquorice roots, and replication of SARS-associated coronavirus. Lancet 2003;Jun 14, 361(9374):2045-2046.
Elinav E, Chajek-Shaul T. Licorice consumption causing severe hypokalemic paralysis. Mayo Clin Proc 2003;Jun, 78(6):767-768.
Eriksson JW, Carlberg B, Hillorn V. Life-threatening ventricular tachycardia due to liquorice-induced hypokalaemia. J Intern Med 1999;245(3):307-310.
Fujioka T, Kondou T, Fukuhara A, et al. Efficacy of a glycyrrhizin suppository for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a pilot study. Hepatol Res 2003;May, 26(1):10-14.
Harada T, Ohtaki E, Misu K, et al. Congestive heart failure caused by digitalis toxicity in an elderly man taking a licorice-containing chinese herbal laxative. Cardiology 2002;98(4):218.
Hino****a F, Ogura Y, Suzuki Y, et al. Effect of orally administered shao-yao-gan-cao-tang (Shakuyaku-kanzo-to) on muscle cramps in maintenance hemodialysis patients: a preliminary study. Am J Chin Med 2003;31(3):445-453.
Hughes J, Sellick S, King R, Robbe IJ. Re: "Preterm birth and licorice consumption during pregnancy." Am J Epidemiol 2003;Jul 15, 158(2):190-191; author reply, 191.
Kamei J, Nakamura R, Ichiki H, Kubo M. Antitussive principles of Glycyrrhizae radix, a main component of the Kampo preparations Bakumondo-to (Mai-men-dong-tang). Eur J Pharmacol 2003;May 23, 469(1-3):159-163.
Kang DG, Sohn EJ, Mun YJ, et al. Glycyrrhizin ameliorates renal function defects in the early-phase of ischemia-induced acute renal failure. Phytother Res 2003;Sep, 17(8):947-951.
Kang DG, Sohn EJ, Lee HS. Effects of glycyrrhizin on renal functions in association with the regulation of water channels. Am J Chin Med 2003;31(3):403-413.
Lin JC. Mechanism of action of glycyrrhizic acid in inhibition of Epstein-Barr virus replication in vitro. Antiviral Res 2003;Jun, 59(1):41-47.
Liu J, Manheimer E, Tsutani K, Gluud C. Medicinal herbs for hepatitis C virus infection: a Cochrane hepatobiliary systematic review of randomized trials. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;Mar, 98(3):538-544.
Nokhodchi A, Nazemiyeh H, Ghafourian T, et al. The effect of glycyrrhizin on the release rate and skin penetration of diclofenac sodium from topical formulations. Farmaco 2002;Nov, 57(11):883-888.
Ofir R, Tamir S, Khatib S, Vaya J. Inhibition of serotonin re-uptake by licorice constituents. J Mol Neurosci 2003;Apr, 20(2):135-140.
Oganesyan KR. Antioxidant effect of licorice root on blood catalase activity in vibration stress. Bull Exp Biol Med 2002;Aug, 134(2):135-136.
Russo S, Mastropasqua M, Mosetti MA, et al. Low doses of liquorice can induce hypertension encephalopathy. Am J Nephrol 2000;20(2):145-148.
Sasaki H, Takei M, Kobayashi M, et al. Effect of glycyrrhizin, an active component of licorice roots, on HIV replication in cultures of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from HIV-seropositive patients. Pathobiology 2002-2003;70(4):229-236.
Serra A, Uehlinger DE, Ferrari P, et al. Glycyrrhetinic Acid decreases plasma potassium concentrations in patients with anuria. J Am Soc Nephrol 2002;13(1):191-196.
Sigurjonsdottir HA, Manhem K, Axelson M, Wallerstedt S. Subjects with essential hypertension are more sensitive to the inhibition of 11 beta-HSD by liquorice. J Hum Hypertens 2003;Feb, 17(2):125-131.
Sohn EJ, Kang DG, Lee HS. Protective effects of glycyrrhizin on gentamicin-induced acute renal failure in rats. Pharmacol Toxicol 2003;Sep, 93(3):116-122.
Strandberg TE, Andersson S, Jarvenpaa AL. Risk factors for preterm delivery. Lancet 2003;Feb 1, 361(9355):436; author reply, 436-437.
van Rossum TG, Vulto AG, Hop WC, et al. Glycyrrhizin-induced reduction of ALT in European patients with chronic hepatitis C. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96(8):2432-2437.

Last updated September 29, 2003

Printer-friendly format Send this page to a friend

Help | About Us | Privacy Policy | Editorial Policy | Advertising Policy | How To Advertise | Contact Us | Register
Change Profile
� 1996-2003 Aetna InteliHealth Inc. All rights reserved. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions. External Web site links provided on this site are meant for convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement. These external links open in a different window. Aetna InteliHealth has been awarded Health Web site accreditation by URAC and is a founding member of Hi-Ethics. We also subscribe to the HONcode principles of the Health On the Net Foundation. "InteliHealth" and "The Trusted Source" are trademarks of Aetna InteliHealth Inc.

* Complementary & Alternative Medicine
* Fitness
* Nutrition
* Weight Management
* Workplace Health

* Children's Health
* Men's Health
* Seniors' Health
* Women's Health
* More

* Medical Dictionary
* Health A-Z
* Drug Resource Center
* More

* Addiction
* Allergy
* Alzheimer's Disease
* Anemia
* Arthritis
* Asthma
* Breast Cancer
* Cancer
* Cholesterol
* Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
* Chronic Pain
* Dementia
* Depression
* Diabetes
* Digestive
* Digestive-Tract Cancer
* Ear, Nose And Throat Disorders
* Epilepsy
* Eyes
* Feet
* Glaucoma
* HIV/AIDS
* Hair Loss
* Headache
* Heart And Circulatory
* High Blood Pressure
* Impotence
* Infertility
* Kidney Disease
* Low Back Pain
* Lyme Disease
* Macular Degeneration
* Memory Loss
* Mental Health
* Multiple Sclerosis
* Osteoarthritis
* Pregnancy
* Prostate Cancer
* Rheumatoid Arthritis
* Sexual And Reproductive Health
* Sexually Transmitted Diseases
* Skin Cancer
* Sleep
* Stress
* Stroke
* Weight Management

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pennyhoule
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pennyhoule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, I'm not certain where Marnie is getting this information. Every drug interaction site I visit indicates no interaction between Benicar and Aspirin. I'm not saying it's not true, but I can't find anything to corroborate it. Benicar is different from similar drugs in that it protects the kidneys, not vice versa.

Marnie, can you please cite your source for the following statement?

[b]"ASA...good old aspirin (an anti-inflammatory)also reduces TNF alpha. But those who take Benicar CANNOT TAKE ASPIRIN...the risk of kidney damage goes up above 300mg. per day.
I fear many will not realize/know this. Many pop ASA without a thought."[b]

Thanks,

penny

Posts: 142 | From San Diego California | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pennyhoule
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5611

Jason and Byron,

Scott said that he has lowered his dose because he has his herx under control. He also felt that he had already knocked his bacterial load down quite a bit prior to starting the MP. That could explain why he benefitted so greatly right out the door.

Marshall talks about adjusting the benicar according to the herx. Scott's been discussing his own program with Marshall so this may explain it. We'll have to let Scott clarify things for himself, but I just wanted to share what I remember Scott saying.

penny

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

I just now checked the Nursing Drug Handbook to see if any drug interactions were listed for Benicar. "None reported" is what the NDH said. (Springhouse, 2004)

Thanks for catching that little detail, Penny. I should have thought to check this myself, but I was in a hurry and didn't bother to do so, before re-emphasizing the mistaken information by quoting it.

kaos
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applaud you Scott, as I do all pioneers.

All of you who are posting against Scott sound just like the physicians from Steere's camp who don't advocate antibiotic therapy because they say it's dangerous. Do you guys see the frickin resemblance in your behavior? Give him credit for trying to help and back off if you don't need it.

Scott, I've printed out Marshall's paper titled "Antibacterial Mechanisms for Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers". I will bring it to my doctor tomorrow. If he feels uneasy about it, I'll ask him if I can just try it for a week or two. I might fail in his office, but he will have Marshall's paper in his hand before I leave.

Thanks to hyperbarics, my BP is a perfect 120/80 from 90/60. It has also stabilized my body temp to a perfect 98.6 from 96 . People are saying that I look healthier than ever. Thinking outside the box is getting me farther than ever and maybe Benicar is another rung on the ladder to a better life. And if it's not, who cares? We've all been through this scenario over and over, and we've all taken prescriptions and herbs that would make any Joe physician cringe. I think treatment with antibiotics alone is "stagnant" therapy. The ultimate hamster wheel!!

-greg

Posts: 373 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

JRW, your report here was fine to present to the group but does not present anything worth while imho, unless there was something you wanted to single out in the report which you failed to do. Instead you offered an ambiguous statement of "This is what taking advice from unqualified people can do to you:" with no specifics of your own.

I have already warned about needing to monitor blood pressure carefully if on licorice. My recommendation to use licorice comes from my experience of seeing Dr. Poesnecker who was qualified to treat patients with licorice and I was on it for a long time and thousands of his patients were and they did fine and it normalized their bp. Let me repeat myself: he put patients on Baschetti licorice who had low morning cortisol and/or extreme hypotension. If you are not one who is a good licorice candidate you can develop edema. Read the summary below and you can see it warns of raising blood pressure. Duh--that is why I recommended it!

JRW, let's be sensible here. Licorice is a food so are you any more qualified to tell me I am unqualified to tell others to look into eating it? It goes w/o saying virtually any supplement should be studied before putting it into your body. I also only recommended licorice for those few who used extreme hypotension as a reason to avoid Benicar in the first place and that they should get off of it after their bp paradoxically normalizes hopefully soon after taking Benicar.

The summary says that studies over 4 weeks have not been done. Since the effects of licorice can continue for many days or even weeks after one gets off of it it should probably only be used before starting the Benicar so when they do start it they don't feel week and dizzy and pass out from their extreme hypotension. If you have any specific valuable insites into licorice please share with the group, otherwise I have already voiced my concerns with using it as well as the benefits which you have ignored. Thanks.
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by JRWagner:
From: www.Intelihealth.com (Harvard Medical School and Aetna)

Here is what taking advice from unqualified people can do to you:

Summary

Licorice and licorice extracts have been suggested as treatments for many conditions. However, there is not enough scientific evidence to support the use of licorice or licorice extract for any medical condition. Licorice may increase the risk of electrolyte disturbances and hormonal abnormalities and should be avoided in those with heart disease, high blood pressure or underlying hormonal disorders. It should also be avoided in pregnant or breast-feeding women and in children. It is possible that licorice may increase the risk of bleeding. Safety of use beyond four weeks has not been extensively studied. Consult your health care provider immediately if you have any side effects.

[This message has been edited by jseaton357 (edited 09 May 2004).]

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Jason,
Since you are still new to the group, you might not know yet that it's not necessary to copy all of the previous remarks into your post. You probably clicked on the little icon that said "reply with quote", but there is another way to do it. Instead, look down at the bottom of the page where it says "Post Reply" and click on that.

Also, there are several members of the group who cannot read large blocks of dense print easily. They have Lyme-impaired eyes, so it helps if we break up our responses into many short paragraphs of no more than 2-3 short sentences for heir benefit.

If you want to edit your previous post to "fix" it, then there is an icon in the line right beside your screen name which permits you to edit your posts.

Your comments are valuable and I'm making this suggestion to you so that more people will be able to benefit from what you have to say -- instead of "scrolling on by" your response because it is too difficult for them to read.

Thanks for your contributions and WELCOME to LymeNet, Jason...since you are still relatively new around here.

PS - I'm editing now, too, to say thanks for editing your post (above), Jason.

[This message has been edited by TX Lyme Mom (edited 09 May 2004).]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason....welcome to Lymenet!

Would you do us lymies a favor? Please break up your long paragraphs into smaller ones so those of us who are visually-challenged are better able to read what you have written.

Thanks!

editing....heehehe, TXLM... great minds think alike?? I posted this reply while trying to read page 4 of all these posts. THEN I come to page 5 and see you already posted that!
------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

[This message has been edited by Lymetoo (edited 09 May 2004).]

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

JRW, I never got a chance to reply to the Part I but you brought up good points I wanted to comment on, so I copied them from below.

I think you jump to conclusion about what cannot happen when the truth is we don't know. Did you consider that borellia may become stealth to the immune system precisely b/c the immune system is disabled first through inflammation? Eliminating inflammation through Benicar could then become the equivalent to defanging the serpant.

Also, no one has mentioned the idea that it may be a very good idea to take a lyme based Transfer Factor. Chisolm makes one and now Tomorrow Foods has a lyme specific one if I recall correctly. Might not hurt to educate the immune system into seeing the lyme and together with Benicar and an abx or rife machine we might strike a devistating blow to the dirty spiros and send them on their merry little way to hell.

What about cyst form you say? Well, good point but have you considered that so long as our immune system can kill all the active forms then the cyst forms can just stay there indefinitely (does anyone know if cyst forms HAVE to eventually come out of cyst form or can they just last there for years w/o running out of energy and dying?) and we should feel fine, right? But adding some flagyl or tini at some point down the road might not be a bad idea. Just my thoughts.
Jason

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRWagner:
[B]The part of this discussion that we are overlooking is the fact that our immune systems, in this argument, are assumed to be capable of dealing with this infection. I really don't think so. When I was bitten I got nailed immediately...where was my immune syatem then? I was VERY healthy, I never got sick, and had a brain, a stable brain at that.

This bacteria has the ability to "go stealth" so how is our immune system supposed to deal with this fact? What about the cyst forms? Our immune system surely can't deal with this, whether we are 100% or 20%. Even the addition of strong Abx is not enough in many cases...so modulating the immune/inflamatory response can't effect something that is not, in itself(our immune system) able to deal with the invader...

Something that has been conveniently passed over on this thread...this bacteria EVADES detection by the immune system...YES, a 100% healthy immune system, so helping an immune system that is NOT compromised because it does not even know the pathogen exists is MOOT!

jseaton357
Member # 5618

Thanks for the recommendations and greetings. I did want to learn how to put in a smiley face, but other than where it says "Message Icon" I cannot figure out how to do this. Whenever I clicked Message Icon I did not see it enter a smiley face into the paragraph. Also, after one replies is it always necessary for the browswer to automatically take me back to page 1 when I would like to stay on page 5 so I don't lose my place and have to rescroll all the way back to the current page I wish to be on? Thanks.
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Jason....welcome to Lymenet!

Would you do us lymies a favor? Please break up your long paragraphs into smaller ones so those of us who are visually-challenged are better able to read what you have written.

Thanks!

editing....heehehe, TXLM... great minds think alike?? I posted this reply while trying to read page 4 of all these posts. [b]THEN
I come to page 5 and see you already posted that![/B]

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason...perhaps you should go back and thoroughly read the article on Licorice.

No only can it be a problem with Blood pressure...which you did warn about...but many other areas of health as well. Did you warn of these possible problems??? NO.

As far as the bacteria becoming stealth because of the immune system when one is first bitten...I forgive you for not having tenn years to research this...the bacteria changes as it enters the body...and does so continuously at will...a "Smart Bacteria" if you will. Recent studies have shown that bacteria can "communicate" with each other. This has nothing to do with our immune system...they even do so in vivo.

Cystic forms...Metronidazole? Tinnidalole?

Old news. Plaquenil??? Same ol' same ol.

(I have had long conversations with Dr. Martin A. Barr, who worked with Nobel Prize winning Biochemists. He first proposed the idea of Metronidazole for the cystic form of Lyme...HIS words hold weight because he has the credentials.)

Even though I do NOT like Steere, he HAS done some valuable studies, ON HUMANS, and he is slowly changine his stature on Lyme.

Don't compare someone (Steere, et.al.) doing research SPECIFICALLY ON LYME, with a veterinarian and one who has a PHD from some university in an (unknown as well) disipline.

Steere may not please all, but he DID identify the cause of the symptoms we now know as Lyme Disease.

The jury is still out on both camps...If either side had proof, there would be no controversy. NO ONE HAS PROOF YET!!!

Please don't put valid research institutions or researchers in the same boat as Marshall and Scott...no matter how "pure" their intentions may be.

This is one of the reasons why this theory was not impressive back in 1999...

There are many facets to science...thinking "out of the Box" doesn't in itself give a gold seal to the theories such people present...in fact, such thinking can, and often is, harmful.

Peace, love and wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jseaton357
Member # 5618

JRW, I have read up on lyme a bit, but don't have your 10 years of knowledge. I good book I read was Biography of a Germ--good book but I ended up passing it around lists for CFS people who wanted to learn more about lyme.

Yes, I have read how it can change forms to cyst in like 2 mins! My point is is that it may begin the inflammation process as soon as it enters the body. Being able to change forms at that point would then be icing on the cake for the lyme. Elminating inflammation may be first step to allowing an immune system (and imo one that is equipped with a good TF, if there is such a thing) to go after lyme no matter how quickly it changes form. Cyst is its only hope of escape and hopefully tini or flagly could take them out. Maybe the reason why cyst busting is not a solution in and of itself is that even if it is killing all cysts (not that it gets them all) there may always be more around to turn into cysts later on, just hanging around in different forms other than the cyst form at the time one is taking flagyl.

I have read of bacteria's ability to communicate and how when they are hit by abx they do an equivalent of a litteral "scream" and all bunch up together to protect themselves and form this biofilm which is virtually unpenatrable. This is another reason for instance I am a fan of using rife machines b/c there is no telling what they do and they might disturb the ability of the pathogen to communicate. You also said you had no inflammation markers but have you had MMP9 done? Shoemaker gives this one routinely and I think it has something to do with inflammation. And as Scott eluded to earlier, one cannot always measure inflammation, so are you going to assume it was not there? My last roomate and friend in Miami is a nuclear phycisist at U. of Miami. I see in him the common mistake of so many other scientific "skeptics" in that they think since they cannot explain something that it cannot be. Meanwhile more and more science is heading into the realm of philosophy to explain things, rather than pure mathematical explanations for everything. I did not begin to get well b/c I was eager to try to disprove everthing. Instead I got well by seeing how things might actually work. Then again, you are going to try Benicar but boy, you love giving a good skeptical ranting at the same time. The point is though that even if this is not a cure (and I have my doubts for sure) it could be the beginning of the end to major suffering that goes on and that's my hope for all of this. Scott may be making this protocol out to be the best thing since sliced bread every bit as much as Shoemaker makes cholestyramine out to be the savior in his book Desperation Medicine. If the truth lay somewhere in the middle then we have still come very far! Ok, enough philosophical rambling, on to my licorice defense, hehe.

As for my not explaining ALL possible side effects, I don't think that is feasible. Have you ever had a doc give you a prescription read you out ALL side effects before prescribing it? Come on! In fact I think most docs who ARE qualified to recommend abx don't tell the patients of the potential of quinolones to cause damage to tendons which I now know several to have reported. Do you not take an aspirin b/c of the possible side effects or miniscule risk? You weigh the benefit/risk ratio and proceed from there. I think a little licorice before starting Benicar is a cure to the hypotension problem. You're stretching a bit there to try to dismiss licorice and make me out to be a loose canon mad man. But please, be careful next time you eat a licorice jelly bean or Twizzler, will you?
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by JRWagner:
Jason...perhaps you should go back and thoroughly read the article on Licorice.

No only can it be a problem with Blood pressure...which you did warn about...but many other areas of health as well. Did you warn of these possible problems??? NO.

As far as the bacteria becoming stealth because of the immune system when one is first bitten...I forgive you for not having tenn years to research this...the bacteria changes as it enters the body...and does so continuously at will...a "Smart Bacteria" if you will. Recent studies have shown that bacteria can "communicate" with each other. This has nothing to do with our immune system...they even do so in vivo.

Cystic forms...Metronidazole? Tinnidalole?

Old news. Plaquenil??? Same ol' same ol.

JRW

[This message has been edited by jseaton357 (edited 10 May 2004).]

jen13
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to voice opinions on all sides. JR's posts are reasonable, and it's good to express doubts that are perfectly valid.

24-bit, what does this vote on magnesium thing in your signature mean? I don't get it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited...

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited....

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

Jason,

I think we do need to be concerned about vit D.

It's part of the metabolic pathway that this perpetuating inflammatory cycle maintains itself.

We have a very similar pathogenesis as sarcoidosis.

Scott

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

I don't use aspirin because it permanently inhibits the COX enzyme...yes, COX produces inflammatory prostaglandins, but it also produces protective ones as well.

That's why I use Lyprinol instead...it's has 5-LOX and some COX-2 inhibiting properties. Much safer and effective to use long term.

Scott

Byron2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Byron2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scott,

Concerning "Lyprinol"...I did a search the other day and found several companies that had theri version of the product...

Am wondering if they are all created equal or one that you have found is better and could you give a web address if you have one...

PS...for those not testing, perhaps doing lyprinol first, may help distinguish between which inflammatory cascade the symptoms are coming from...

Thanks,
Byron

Posts: 314 | From Sebasopol, California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited....

Byron2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2009

Hi Scott,

Thankyou for your reply :-)

It seems as you said, that the success you are having with Benicar may have to do with the other Th1 inflammatory cascades being handled with the other things you are taking...

Perhaps you could post what the supplements are that you are taking for other inflammatory cascades?

Its possible that people taking Benicar may not have the same success as you, without handling those other cascades....letting everyone know the other things you are doing could be useful :-)

Byron

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

Could you possibly weigh in on your thoughts reguarding encysted Borellia and the relation to the use of Benicar.

Those of us who have been on Rocephin for some time have a real issue with addressing cysts. Doctor Jones usually approaches this near the end of an IV course by pulsing short courses of Flagyl in some.

Just trying to understand how obne may transition into interripting the inflammatory cascade safely, and the use of something like Flagyl..either before the transition..or along with..

Considering encysted Lyme is said to be protected from abx and our immune system. I know it's complicated because of the question as to how long and in what environmant the form may change..

Any thoughts or references appreciated..I certainly plan to invesigate this fully before making decisions with Doc.

Thanks,
Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarieElaine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5408

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MarieElaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott - I followed up with Dr J today and am still waiting to hear back from him regarding Benicar for children.

I was wondering if you could share your conversation of last week with him, either here or privately?

I just wanted to express my appreciation to you for the posts that I've read that deal with the medical questions about Benicar.

I would also like to express that it isn't very helpful when long posts go on and on debating who said what with what authority.

I wish we could separate the posts into two to help facilitate for those of us that are more interested in the medical issues surrounding this medication.

I understand and respect everyone's right to post whatever they want but I find a good deal of the other issues debated here to be unnecessarily exhausting and non-productive.

Thanks for your help with Dr. J.

Marie

Posts: 143 | From Putnam Valley, NY. USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Marie Elaine and Free.. if either of you come up with anything that may be useful to share reguarding Doc J..could you copy or e-mail me as well?

I'm going to discuss this with him at our next appt., in and around May 15th..and perhaps continue looking at it with him over time as we see him monthly..in respect to possible use with children or adults.

if any notes, ideas, or communication would be helpful..I could incorporate and report back..

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 10 May 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarieElaine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5408

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MarieElaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo -

I'll be happy to share whatever we learn from Dr. J.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Marie

Posts: 143 | From Putnam Valley, NY. USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Mo:
Scott,
Could you possibly weigh in on your thoughts reguarding encysted Borellia and the relation to the use of Benicar.

Those of us who have been on Rocephin for some time have a real issue with addressing cysts.

Mo,
I hope you don't mind my interrupting to interject my own ideass about this. Your worry could turn out to be a moot question. Here's why I say so.

Bb has many defense mechanisms for evading the immune system and for hiding out in privileged niches. No one really knows for sure how or why Bb is able to evade both the immune response and antibiotics so effectively. The cyst-like stage is just one among several explanations regarding the persistence of Bb.

There's another new idea, which is less well known (yet), regarding the ability of Bb to form "granulomas" within the bone marrow, of all places!! (PMID # 12614200 and PMID # 12436300)

In other words, late-stage LD might actually represent an "atypical" presentation of sarcoidosis, at which Marschall's Benicar Protocol is aimed.

So might Bartonella, too, but in the lymph nodes instead of the bone marrow. (PMID # 9480364)

In other words, if it turns out that the real problem is Bb inside a granuloma somewhere in the body (bone marrow, or elsewhere), then perhaps it won't matter so much whether we shoot Flagyl at its cyst-like stage or not, as long as the immune system becomes invigorated enough to deal with it, no matter where it is or what pleomorphic form it's hiding in.

Does that make sense?

I'm still very eager to hear what Scott's ideas are about this, though, too. Good question, Mo. Thanks for bringing it up.

PS - If you want me to post those 3 abstracts here (ie, the 3 PMID #'s, above), I will. I didn't re-post them again here, because they have already been posted recently elsewhere, during these many Benicar discussions.

[This message has been edited by TX Lyme Mom (edited 10 May 2004).]

troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 14 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to add kudos to all of you!

First,,,,,,,

I think that this is one of many things that are helping Scott....he like myself have a wide protocol that we follow...almost spooky in its similarities. (Except I do heparin, which by the way has been recently shown to stunt the reproduction of babesia)

But.....the stopping of this inflamation is 'key' to the end result!

In otherwords...something holds us back...and this may be it.

TXMOM...has your started your daughter on the treatment for Bartonella yet? I hope so...my MCS has dropped since doing it...and, think about the areas that are shown to be affected by bart...the skin...the pleasure nerves..the brain!!!!!

The bart and the metals removal have helped me big time.

In fact, I couldn't even be outside last week in the sun because of a swelling of my optic nerve from the resulting herx...and guess where else bart hits!

I think....we are heading to a better understanding of this disease.

Trout

Kent

PS...I just want to add that.....given the current flow here....I need to re-iterate that I started to get beter FASTEST when getting the metals out.

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarieElaine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5408

Trout -

My daughter had tested positive for Bartonella as well.

She's currently taking Mino and Zithromax. She had previously taken Doxy, Ceftin, 14 weeks for Rocephin IV. She couldn't tolerate rifampin, flagyl or cipro.

Would you say Bartonella has been treated?

Thanks for your help.

Marie

phage
Member # 5533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> In other words, if it turns out that the real problem is Bb inside a granuloma somewhere in the body (bone marrow, or elsewhere), ...

Tx Lyme Mom,

I think this is a matter that needs to be investigated much more closely. It is said that about 90% of sarcoidosis patients have pulmonary sarcoidosis. But as near as I can tell this may be an artifact of the way sarcoidosis is diagnosed. Apparently, if you don't have the sarcoid skin eruptions (and many don't), then the only likely way that you will be diagnosed is by accident when a chest Xray is performed for some other reason. But a chest Xray won't pick up evidence of granulomas in, say, your spleen. So is the 90% figure a reflection of reality, or of surveillance?

If granulomas are a common manifestation of Lyme disease, I doubt that they will be found routinely in Lyme patients until physicians/researchers start looking for them. Perhaps Dr. Marshall's D-ratio is a good starting point.

Others have suggested before that the common occurence of "lumps and bumps" underneath the skin of many fibromyalgia patients may be granulomas and it would be especially easy for docs to test this since the growths are so easily accessible.

It is my understanding that the inside of granulomas are not vascularized, and that antibiotics therefore penetrate the granulomas poorly.

Tx, keep bringing this issue up.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited.....

Mo
Member # 2863

Thanks for the input, TX..

I would, if it's not too much trouble..like to be directed to those abstracts..they'll help in discussions with our Docs.

I'm trying to follow here..and probably shouldn't post till I give it a minute to stew..but this is moving fast..so here goes..

Is this to say that our immune system, if less encumbered, has the capability to attack the granulomas and maybe even the "cyst form"..if it exists?

Mo

PS: Note on Doc J..it is my experience with him that tells me is is careful, calculated and thorough..and also busier than any Doctor on the face of the earth with children's families calling all day every day with very serious situations.

To his incredible credit, he does not jump on anything...at the same time, he uses therapies that he feels will benefit freely.

He is seventy-five, and probably (no..definately) the smartest man on earth when it comes to TBD's and children's medical issues in general. He knows allot about our immune system in relation to the illness, and tracks and follows it carefully.

He may or may not feel the need to ask questions..may or may not mean he is looking at it..

If you've ever spent any time at all in his office, you'd know the odds of he or his staff having time to address faxed information on a protocol they are not familiar with from unknown sources are slim.

We may need to begin discussing during appts at first..

It would be a mistake to jump to any conclusions about what he may think reguarding this. Doc J does what thinks is right when he thinks it's right..all in the name of the wellfare of his patients (our children).

I hope to get feedback from him in person when we see him.

Mo

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited....

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me..is Marshalls latest paper the one on sarcinfo..or is there another?

Mo

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Mo,
Here's the link to the topic on "Pathogenesis of Borrelia" where I posted the first two abstracts mentioned in my previous post (above).

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024997.html

Next, here's the abstract pertaining to Bartonella, which was first posted by Lyme Wolf a few days ago. It's a real treasure. Thank You, Lyme Wolf, for finding it!

JAMA. 1998 Feb 18;279(7):532-4.

Hypercalcemia due to endogenous overproduction of active vitamin D in identical twins with cat-scratch disease.

Bosch X.

Internal Medicine Unit, Hospital Casa Maternitat, Corporacio Sanitaria Clinic, Barcelona, Spain.

CONTEXT: The extrarenal synthesis of active vitamin D sterols has a central causative role in the hypercalcemia associated with various granulomatous diseases.

OBJECTIVE: To study the calcium metabolism in patients with cat-scratch disease who have hypercalcemia. DESIGN: Case report.

SETTING: University hospital in Barcelona, Spain.

PATIENTS: Two identical twins who developed asymptomatic hypercalcemia during the acute phase of cat-scratch disease.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Serial measures of calcium homeostasis and metabolism over a 2-month period.

RESULTS: On admission and 6 and 7 days later, both patients were found to have increased levels of serum and urinary calcium, serum phosphate, and serum 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25(OH)2D], whereas they had normal values of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and urinary cyclic adenosine monophosphate and decreased serum concentrations of intact parathyroid hormone.

Sixteen and 20 days after admission, these abnormalities had resolved without treatment. A direct correlation was observed between the serum 1,25(OH)2D levels and both the serum and 24-hour urinary calcium concentrations. Also, the concentrations of calcium and 1,25(OH)2D paralleled the clinical activity of the infectious disease over the period these parameters were measured.

CONCLUSIONS: Our cases provide evidence that cat-scratch disease can produce hypercalcemia through the unregulated production of the metabolite 1,25(OH)2D.

Cat-scratch disease should be added to the list of granuloma-forming diseases that are responsible for 1,25(OH)2D-mediated hypercalcemia.

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 9480364 [PubMed]

Comments:
Pay special attention to the last sentence under Conclusions.

The abstract above on cat scratch disease (Bartonella) also says that these abnormalities resolved withOUT treatment -- but remember that these lads were most likely NOT co-infected with Borrelia.

Scott has already posted some good abstracts about the myriad effects of Borrelia on TLR and other aspects of immunity, which I can't seem to drill into my over-taxed brain very well. This leads me, IMHO, to conclude that Bartonella might be secondary and opportunistic in patients already chronically infected with Bb.

My hunch is that if we can help the body to gain control over Bb, by using Benicar plus minocycline, that Bartonella won't be so problematic. There are lots of spontaneous remissions (ie, without treatment) in the literature for Bartonella -- that is, healthy folks seem to throw Bartonella off relatively easily.

That's why I keep hoping that all of these other issues of co-infections, as well as worry about treating the cyst-like form of Bb, etc., will turn out to be moot issues. Maybe or maybe not. Time will tell. Waiting to exhale.

[This message has been edited by TX Lyme Mom (edited 10 May 2004).]

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Mo:
Forgive me..is Marshalls latest paper the one on sarcinfo..or is there another?Mo

Here's the link:

http://www.joimr.org/phorum/read.php?f=2&i=53&t=53

PS - Reminder: Scott said to pay special attention to refs. 28 & 29 in Marshall's paper.

Mo
Member # 2863

Thanks so much for taking the time out to post this for me, TX..I REALLY appreciate it.

I'm struggling to keep up, and I really value this direction and info..

I want top go over this with my LL, and Doc J, as well as my Bart Doc..these references will help.

Mo

MarieElaine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5408

Scott/Mo -

I faxed to Dr. J the lastest published paper by Dr. Marshall.

As you cited in your post, Mo, he is elderly and is treating a great many very sick children.

He is not like most other doctors. He works long hours and is very thorough. We won't get a quick response from him as he needs time to careful evaluate this.

I am confident that we will get an adequate response from him, it just may take some time.

Scott, can you think of anything Mo can take to him or suggest to him, that would be helpful?

I believe you said, Mo, that you have an appt on 5/15?

Lets keep the faith and the persistency!

Thanks to both of you for your help with this.

Marie

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Phage,
This topic is moving so fast that it's mind-boggling to try to keep up with all the new concepts which we are attempting to comprehend.

You stated these concepts very well, I think. Therefore, I would like to emphasize what you said by re-posting it in its entirety and in boldface. Thanks for your illuminating clarity.

quote:
Originally posted by phage:
[B]> In other words, if it turns out that the real problem is Bb inside a granuloma somewhere in the body (bone marrow, or elsewhere), ...

Tx Lyme Mom,
I think this is a matter that needs to be investigated much more closely. It is said that about 90% of sarcoidosis patients have pulmonary sarcoidosis. But as near as I can tell this may be an artifact of the way sarcoidosis is diagnosed. Apparently, if you don't have the sarcoid skin eruptions (and many don't), then the only likely way that you will be diagnosed is by accident when a chest Xray is performed for some other reason. But a chest Xray won't pick up evidence of granulomas in, say, your spleen. So is the 90% figure a reflection of reality, or of surveillance?

If granulomas are a common manifestation of Lyme disease, I doubt that they will be found routinely in Lyme patients until physicians/researchers start looking for them. Perhaps Dr. Marshall's D-ratio is a good starting point.

Others have suggested before that the common occurence of "lumps and bumps" underneath the skin of many fibromyalgia patients may be granulomas and it would be especially easy for docs to test this since the growths are so easily accessible.

It is my understanding that the inside of granulomas are not vascularized, and that antibiotics therefore penetrate the granulomas poorly.
B]

Mo
Member # 2863

I agree, MarieElaine..

exept in that when I mentioned Doc J's age, I never think of him as elderly..LOL..I can only dream of being capable of a fraction of what he can do ..and I'm in my thirties!!

I was citing his age as part of his uncanny wisdom and instinct in treating this illness.
Smart as a whip.

To tell you the truth, with ideas like this, his opinion on the theory will carry allot more weight with me than what any of the other LL's opinions happen to be. But..that's just me.

TX..and Phage..thank you for the ideas you post!

Mo

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

Great job Marie!

I would just continue to encourage Dr. J to look in to this and to contact Dr Marshall.

I'm confident that your persistence will pay off...keep it up.

Scott

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited...

jseaton357
Member # 5618

Scott, why continue to take other anti-inflammatories once one starts taking Benicar? I tried Lyprinol btw, for 2 weeks, and saw no benefits. Just got done trying cherry juice extract, devil's claw, quercetin and none of them did any good. Still have to try ginger alone but I can say tumeric is very good at making me feel good, in less than 24 hours after taking it.
Jason

quote:
I don't use aspirin because it permanently inhibits the COX enzyme...yes, COX produces inflammatory prostaglandins, but it also produces protective ones as well.

That's why I use Lyprinol instead...it's has 5-LOX and some COX-2 inhibiting properties. Much safer and effective to use long term.

Scott

hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I have heard everything. JW there is the reason it is not working for you. You need to go lock yourself up in a dark room for the next week.

[This message has been edited by hwlatin (edited 11 May 2004).]

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited...

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited....

free2reckon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4563

edited....

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Huh? I don't get it.

These were Vit-D deficient mice in the abstract posted above. However, Marshall's work deals with hyper-(high) vitamin D "toxicity".

I'm confused and can't quite make the connection here. Or did I mis-read it?

PS - I'm editing now to say that I re-read your comments prefacing the abstract, which you posted on the previous page, and it makes better sense to me now. You were using that abstract as an example of how Vit-D, which is really a hormone, interacts with and impacts the immune system if the levels of Vit-D are dysregulated.

[This message has been edited by TX Lyme Mom (edited 11 May 2004).]

riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The study COULD show that general dysregulation of D causes immune weakness. However, because it doesn't tell what level was considered deficiency, it's hard to know exactly what they mean, or how it might relate to the topic we are talking about.

Marshall considers 1,25-D levels that are within the standard range to be too high, especially if the ratio of 1,25 to 25 is too high.

What criteria where these researchers using to set deficiency levels, and how would that translate to Marshall's "high" levels.

Seems like there is a whole lot more to be understood here.

BTW, my 25-D levels came back high according to Marshall's criteria, but in range. Still don't have the 1,25-D levels back.

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for roseisland
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you soooo very much...

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement