LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Isn't it interesting...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Isn't it interesting...
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...that Lyme does some really strange things to cognitive abilities. I have always been one to pay careful attention to my grammar, spelling, etc. in any writing that I do. I was taught to be that way, and it tended to get on my nerves when others used the wrong word or spell things incorrectly.

Like there for their, here for hear, things like that. Not putting "ed" on a word when it should be there.

But now I find myself doing this, and not even noticing until someone else points it out. Like, yesterday, I wrote a note to my daughter, and told her I left something in "their" instead of "there".

And it drives me crazy! Now I notice before I even get through this post that I put "spell" in the first paragraph, but it should have been "spelled", as I had already said "used", and it should have been the same tense.

But, I see people doing this on their posts all the time. And thought they just didn't know any better.

But, now I think it is the Lyme. Or is it Lime?

Just an observation. Really wonder if you all have had the same experiences with words.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absoultely, happens all the time, the backspace key is my friend if I am lucky enough to catch the errors.

I used to worry about it but and try to write in word and cut and paste but I am not that anal retentive anymore. So long as I feel you can get my point I dont fret.

Sent

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Connie,

Yes, this happens with me much more so since my diagnosis and treatment. I use opposite words or can't recall familiar names. I misspell almost everything, or reverse letters...even though I have to actually spell out each word now as I write.

I almost always write a post or reply in a word doc first, so my mistakes will be caught...but, I usually end up editing a post anyway after I take the time to re-read it once posted...because I usually will completely leave out a word that I said in my mind, but forgot to type in!

It is annoying...and at first, I too wondered why grammar was such a problem here...but, now I KNOW it is just lyme doing its thing!

I guess we all learn to `read' around these little mistakes after awhile!
But, because of all of my mistakes...it takes me forever to get a post or reply out.

The embarrassing part is when one or two people have already answered the poster's question with my same answers before I can finish typing !

Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, happens to me too.
I did technical writing for microbiology stuff. Did microbiology too~!

Now I cant do either, and find even when I proof read a thousand times, I dont catch some really sad errors.

Its like my brain reads it as I mean it, but not tecnnically for errors.

Hopefully this gets better.

I presently do web design. you know how bad it looks when your clients have to say...hey, you got a typo!!

So, now I tell my clients they must proof it all for me before I post it outright!

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use opposite words or can't recall familiar names. I misspell almost everything, or reverse letters...I take the time to re-read it once posted...because I usually will completely leave out a word that I said in my mind, but forgot to type in!

That is so me!!!!

I tell everyone that I talk dyslexic! My words and/or my sentences are totally screwed up. Either I pronounce the word incorrectly, or I say one word when I meant another, or I mess up/combine two words or I put the wrong word at the front or back of the sentence.

And I always say 'thing' because I totally forget the name of it.

I walk around saying, "Can you get that...thing for me"? "I need that thing". "You know that thing I was telling you your mother said,..".

My poor husband.

And I totally forget names. My husband's, my cat's, my child's, in addition to everyone elses.

And I will go back to read emails or posts and realize that I forgot a word or wrote the word in the wrong tense.

My memory is shot. I used to be able to memorize actual Bible verses at school. Not anymore - I'm lucky if I remember my address and phone number (I have to actually think about those sometimes).

I will be in the middle of a conversation with a friend, family member, doctor, etc and TOTALLY forget what the conversation was about or what the question was I was in the middle of answering (and then I'll forget what the conversation was about). THEN I forget what I was saying in the middle of MY sentence. Oh, I must look the fool to others. I almost want to say: Hey, I have Lyme, so there.

Ahhhh, it is so sad.

Don't get me started on my lack of concentration...

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What JillF said. I get lost in mid sentance too dosen't matter if it's my sentance or their's.
Names forgetaboutit!!!

Sent

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That happens to me all of the time. Also with speach but not as severely. Sometimes I stumble for words or sound like I stutter. It's improving though.

I used to be great with grammar and spelling but now I always use a dictionary when spellcheck is not available. Sometimes words just don't look like they are spelled correctly even when they are. I probably miss a lot of things too even with double checking.

When I think about going back to work it is really frustrating because I don't want to appear uneducated or just plain dumb. I had to expain to my volunteer coordinator that I'm a little slow because of Lyme.

Hang in there though. Research suggest that cognitive difficulties improve with recovery and I have even shown improvement in a short amount of time with tx so anyone can because I was really awful.

Amanda

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep it deffinatley messes up your abilities to choose wisely.In the smallest thing as typing too which probiotics are best.

That is a good observation. Now take it further in the decision making process like choosing good treatments over fairy tale treatments.

None mentioned here.

------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement