LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Advice Please? Am I going to overdo it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice Please? Am I going to overdo it?
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need advice . . . I have recently begun treatment again for a Lyme relapse. I'm working full time still, so I pretty much work and sleep. Before I started my treatment I had applied to go back to college for fall and was accepted. My husband thinks I would be overdoing it if I try to go to school and work right now. He's worried I'm going to wind up making myself more sick and I'm not going to be able to handle it even besides that. I really don't want to miss out on the chance to finish school, though, and I'm afraid I'm never going to make it back. I was sick for over a year. Better for a little over a year and then now sick again. If I wait until I'm completely better, will I ever actually finish?
Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tritchie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm anxious to hear some replies myself from anyone in school. I was planning on starting law school in the fall, but I'm having serious doubts about doing that now. I'm very worried about the demands and also worried if I will remember anything I read or hear. I lose my train of thought in conversations often. Someone please help us decide if we can handle school.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's another good point tritchie. I'm a bit nervous I'll wind up flunking my classes because I won't remember anything.
Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slcd: You're already at full capacity and pushing it. I totally sympathize, but this is not the time for magical thinking. Unless you can cut back somewhere, school is not a good option right now. Push too hard, and you'll not only muck up school, but lose what you are maintaining.

School is hard work. It's like taking a second job.

When you're feeling better, you'll go back. Don't drive yourself into a collapse now because you don't trust yourself to push forward later on. Clearly, you're strong and determined. You'll get there when your health improves.

Tritchie -- I'll say the same to you. If you're having trouble keeping up with normal conversation, you're not going to be able to keep up with the high-pressure, fast-paced intensity of law school right now. Get a deferrment, and go when you're healthier.

And if you're wondering how I know-- been there with the work/school thing, for something I desperately wanted. Lasted a surprisingly long time, but when I crashed, it was epic. I simply exhausted my bod, and it's taken a long time to recover. I kept telling myself, just one more day, just a little longer.

I am recovering now, and I've taken this time to find out more and better recovery methods. I thought I was taking good care of myself before, but really I was in a huge amount of denial.

Sometimes the power of positive thinking means that you have the strength to look at your situation honestly and respond to it realistically and effectively, even if what you have to do is the opposite of what you want to.

Good luck to both of you.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 17 July 2004).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with minoucat on this one.

Please don't push yourselves over the edge...

I am also working full-time+ and in grad school. Took an incomplete last semester, skipped summer classes - even took a month of short-term disability and just returned full-time after a month of less than full days.

Give your body a chance to heal. You have the rest of your life to go back to school - especially if you get the rest you need now so that you are better.

This has been the absolutely most difficult lesson for me to learn during this illness, but ironically been the best too.

I have always pushed through sickness, putting other's needs ahead of mine and did so for about 2 months after diagnosis (and had been sick for almost a year at that point).

The pushing - pushed me over the edge, and believe me I don't wish that on anyone.

My boyfriend was the one who finally put his foot down and got me to stop - with me still fighting to keep going.

The schools should work with you regarding deferment.

Just give your bodies a little more time to heal. Yes, I know I'm impatient too and the waiting drives me nuts - but our health comes first.

Please let us know what you decide - we're here for you!
smiles

Posts: 160 | From MD, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 6 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since all of the posts here are from the Lymenet class of 2004, maybe one of us 'old timers' should pipe up

I agree.
Fighting Lyme, especially a relapse, is a time for conserving energy and building strength, not exhausting yourself.

Until you lick the Lyme (and coinfections!) your future is uncertain - a degree will do you little good if you are bedridden.

Do it right now, and there will be time and energy later for what you want to do.

Dan

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't do it. COllege will always be there, your health wont. Check with your college about taking a *medical* leave of absense, they last longer than if you just don't go.

I went back to college and to be quite frank, it is the stupidest thing I have done yet. I felt like rugged dog crap the entire time I was going AND I only went on Saturdays

( Saturday fast track advanced standing students), but still, was there for 9 hours a day every saturday.

Even that? Whoosh came back in the symptoms regardless of how many abx I popped.

Unfortunately, ( very unfortunate) I have my registration papers laying on my table for the upcoming semester and the thing is : if I dont go to class, I dont get any money back on my loans which then equals the kids dont see crap for xmas.

So, come August- Im back to do this torture, again.

Please though, if you dont have to do this: DONT!

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 13 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, totally, agree with the above statements.

Don't know how old you are or even if that matters at this point. I do know when I was in my late 20's, I went back to college and got my degree. By that time, I was a single mother with a 5 year old.

I had to work and go to school full time. It like to kill me, AND, I did NOT have LYME at the time!!!

What I'm saying is what the others above have said in their posts, DO NOT OVERLOAD yourself at this time in your recovery and treatment. School will always be there.

I was 30 when I graduated and was't the only nor the oldest person in my graduating class of 1981. I don't regret working myself to the bone nor the sacrifice that my family (helping with 5 y/o) made.

I DO know that I could've never done what I did, sometimes working 44 hrs per week at three partime jobs and going to school for 15-18 hours per semester IF I HAD LYME...no way, no how.

Save yourself,

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

I'll see if my school will let me do a deferrment. Since I'm a readmit though, I think they may just make me reapply for whatever semester I decide I can go back. I hope not! It has been SUCH a hassle getting everything together for this semester!

As for the chocolate and martini's . . . sounds great! . . . but aren't we supposed to stay away from sugar, caffeine, and alcohol?! lol

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll let you guys know what happens!

tritchie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for all the replies. I think I just made my decision. Even forwarded this link to my family. You are all right, school will still be there later.

Trip

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PERRYK
Member # 5925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PERRYK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to put in my two cents because of my own experience.

I came down with Lyme and Ehrlichiosis at the end of my sophmore year at University. Up to that point I held a 4.0 GPA.

I worked full-time as a legal assistant, took 12 credits per semester and continued through the summer to get my degree before my children graduated high school in 2002.

It was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do physically but there was no way I was going to quit.

I did a complete 360 on my career and had to leave the old career ASAP. Staying where I was would be worse than going to school with Lyme.

It was the best decision I ever made. My new career is much calmer and it has allowed me to take care of myself on a regular basis.

Yes, it was exhausting and I couldn't have done it without my husband and children. Instead of Mom as the caregiver, they became the caregivers.

My house was a mess, the kids cooked dinner every night, my husband drove me to and from work & school. My GPA dropped to a 3.2 but I still graduated with honors.

We even took a vacation to England with the pic line in my arm! It took a lot of phone calls and arrangements, but pre-9/11 I was able to take all medical equipment on board the plane with me.

I often wonder if I would have recovered quicker if I took the disability leave and stopped going to school. However, my life is so much better with my new career, the suffering was worth it.

My family is much closer and my kids know that no matter what happens, they will also be able to graduate college. The kids are also much better prepared to live on their own.

If you really want to continue school, try taking just one class you know you will enjoy. Then evaluate how you good or bad you feel with this class.

You can then base your decision with what your body is saying.

The pain and exhaustion were awful, but I did it and that is all that matters.

Coming from a family of high altitude mountain climbers and race car drivers, I had a lot of inspiration to beat the odds.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Posts: 5 | From franklin, NJ, usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement