LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How many of you have multiple family members with LD? ~ Lynette

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of you have multiple family members with LD? ~ Lynette
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of you have multiple family members with LD? ~ Lynette

I just noticed on one of her threads no one really answered this question she had and thought it was a good question.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my mom both have Lyme and I suspect that my younger sister might have it but it hasn't been investigated fully.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one in my family has been diagnosed with Lyme but many have Lyme-like symptoms.

These family members will be tested soon.
I'll let you know how that goes.

Posts: 712 | From Ottawa, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrat
Member # 3208

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed in June of 2001. ( probably had it since 1993)

My 7 year old son was diagnosed in May of 2003

My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed in December of 2003.

My husband was diagnosed with probable lyme by an ER doc about 6 weeks ago.

And my twin sister tested positive for lyme about 2 weeks ago...

~LymeBrat

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All three of us and the dog have lyme. Two of us have co-infections for sure. Have had it 3-5 years at least. All of us are getting better with abx, magnesium, exercise and heat.
Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC
Member # 5767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother and younger brother were diagnosed last fall.

My husband in May.

Me in June.

Our three children should get their results back from Igenex this week, but I was undiagnosed prior to their births.

We are trying to get my father tested. I am sure he is positive!

I also have a great aunt and a second cousin positive this year. Plus many others who won't even consider the possibility!

It is unfortunately becoming quite a family affair!

sc

Posts: 71 | From Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you re read what the FEW of us just posted here, that is totally amazing that the medical community has a problem acknowledging this as a BIG ISSUE!!

Wow...I know there is more. I am sure that my hubby may be added to the list (with my mom, myself, and 2 girls) when he gets home.

Would love to test many others.....but so many are not open to it and there MD would probably see no need in it.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twobusymom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twobusymom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My four children, myself and my husband all tested positive, equivical, or with most significant bands positive.

My mother has classic symptoms but refuses to be tested, attributes her aches and pains, cognitive dysfunction to "old age". I think shes just hard headed.

Noy sure about other family members as I am not very close to any of them.

Cheryl

Posts: 204 | From kentucky | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me -- infected two years ago, no rash, positive Western Blot

my son -- probably infected 4-7 years ago, no rash, positive Western Blot

my mom -- probably infected TWENTY-FIVE years ago, diagnosed 3 months ago, is responding to oral antibiotics

my brother and niece

my sister

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father was MIS-diagnosed with Alzheimer's
in the early 1980s. In 1992 at the age of 81, a LLMD in New Jersey diagnosed a very advanced case of Lyme disease - Neuro Borreliosis.

We attempted IV therapy, but stopped treatment because of our ignorance of Lyme & a multitude of complications. He spent several years in a nursing home & died of complications of Lyme disease.

I removed a tiny tick in the late 1970s or early 1980s (max attachment time: 4-6 hrs), had a 2" x 3" bull's eye rash but did not know to get treatment. No other symptoms until 1988. MIS-diagnosed with arthritis, but correctly diagnosed with Lyme & started treatment in 1992. In 2001, also diagnosed with Babesiosis & Bartonella.

Grandson, age 12 yrs, is presently being treated by Dr Jones in CT. We're pretty certain he's had Lyme since he was 7 yrs old. Almost all his symptoms were typical of ADD.
Several yrs ago, his Pediatrician would not even consider Lyme, so we took him to a dr out of town.
WB showed only Band 41, but since that is VERY significant in children, he was given adequate doses abx until symptoms were gone.

Symptoms flared up again. PCR was positive for Lyme. Treatment was resumed & his Lyme dr consulted with Dr Jones in CT.
Since improvement was so slow, we decided to go to CT. He's had 2 appts with Dr Jones & goes back Oct 26th.
Dr Jones said he's fixable, but MAY have to treat until he's 17 yrs old.

My having Lyme disease is one of the biggest blessings of my life. Without my contacts in the Lyme community (friend in NC whose son had LD & LYmeNet) my grandson never would have been diagnosed & treated.

Thanks again to all those who have so generously given their time & shared knowledge of Tick-Borne Diseases.
I'll always be grateful for your help!!

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FaithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FaithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lyme disease... both my children have been exposed to it and I have to watch them per Dr. Jones.. my husband tested through Igenex and had lots of bands come up positive but his doctor said "it doesn't mean you have lyme".. yeah, right! He is a hard headed one, my husband..... my older sister has to have it, but doesn't get tested.. I believe her children have it too... my mom has symptoms, but doesn't get tested either.. probably dad too.. all have a history of bites.. but choose to be ignorant to it.. It definitely is a family disease!
Posts: 802 | From Reading, PA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you families with Lyme, go check out the info about the camp/retreat I'm setting up for kids, families, teens, adults, or anyone else with Lyme and other TBDs. You can see it here: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/026979.html.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me.... 30 some years (active)
Wife....since I infected her....11 to 12 years (inactive)
Girls....since birth (active)

We are all improving.

Trout

PS/////Dr Crist

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, my husband and our 7-year-old son. I've had it for 21 yrs. but just diagnosed. Our son has congenital LD and is very sick.
Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Ted.. with a hurricane barrelling down on his head, as we speak.. just asked me to post this for him to help you all.

He is STILL having trouble posting at Lyme Net... but is concerned about you folks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. The above posts show that the TBDs are contagious.

2. TBDs can be passed from infected mother to fetus.

3. So many tests are unreliable.

4. Diagnosis should be made on history of symptoms, family history, results of pregnancy on child, response to Abx and, most important, full clinical examination of all systems by a clinically-minded doctor if you can find one who will give you the time.

Dr Ted

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement