LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Oprah a venue for Lyme Publicity?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oprah a venue for Lyme Publicity?
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, call me crazy or even naive, but after reading the posts about Michael Moore's documentary "Sicko), I decided to pursue a different route. I e-mailed Oprah.

I think the Oprah Winfrey show would provide a good venue for Lyme publicity. She is credible, respected, has a large audience and a lot of appeal; she also has often championed underdogs like us Lymies.

If you would like to e-mail her with a show suggestion (I think some additional interest would help and you might even get to be a guest on the show-I don't want to be because there are many of you who would be much more representative of the difficulties of Lyme and probably more articulate), you can log onto: http://www.oprah.com

Once you are on the site, click on "the Oprah Winfrey Show" on the left hand side.
Then click on "e-mail us". That will send you to another page and you will click on "Do you have a great idea? Send us your show suggestions". Then just fill in the blanks, write your message and you are done.

The following is the e-mail I sent:

A Plea From the Mother of a Child Infected with Lyme Disease

There is a growing epidemic in our country. It is the second largest infectious disease affecting the American population, yet it is greatly misunderstood by the general population, doctors, insurance companies and employers and teachers of those stricken with this illness. Its name is Lyme Disease. Every year the CDC reports an additional 12,000 to 16,000 people contract Lyme Disease, yet the numbers are actually much higher due to the stringent guidelines for reporting set forth by the CDC and the lack of accurate methods of testing.

There are many myths that abound concerning Lyme Disease; they include:

1. A bull's-eye rash always accompanies Lyme. Not true-the rash is seen in only 40-60% of diagnosed cases. Many patients do not even recall a tick bite.

2. One month of treatment should ``cure'' the patient of Lyme and any lingering symptoms are a result of ``Post-Lyme Syndrome'' not an active infection. Actually the bacterial spirochete, borrelia burgdorferi, or Bb, responsible for Lyme is very adept at evading the human immune system as well as many antibiotic treatments and must be treated for an extensive period of time, often years. The Lyme bacteria is very slow to reproduce and to treat Lyme with antibiotics for an equivalent number of reproductions as a strep infection, it would take up to 30 months of treatment. It is also still questionable as to whether or not Lyme can actually be cured or if it may go into a (usually temporary) remission when the spirochete goes into a cystic form or through a dormant phase. Recently on the NBC Nightly News Dr. Brian Fallon of Columbia University indicated that the chronic form of Lyme most likely cannot be completely eradicated from the body and therefore there is not a cure, only management. Also, much of the damage done by Lyme Disease is irreversible, particularly neurological damage.

3. Lyme symptoms are not that serious - just a few aches and pains. Lyme disease causes a multitude of symptoms that can be quite disabling and on occasion, fatal. Lyme is a multi-systemic infection, but the Lyme spirochete, Bb, has an affinity for nervous system tissue and often causes sensory (pain, burning or numbness) or motor symptoms (extreme fatigue, tremor, weakness); also symptoms such as Bell's palsy and loss of balance are common. Neurological complaints are often serious enough to mimic MS or ALS. Many patients are relegated to using a wheelchair or walker. Many suffer from cognitive impairments so severe that they are unable to hold on to a job or perform in school. Other systems involved include the dermatological, the musculoscelatal and the cardiovascular system, often with severe consequences.

4. Lyme can only be contracted by the deer tick and is therefore limited to certain geographical areas. Lyme has been reported in every state in the continental U.S. as well as numerous other countries. The Lyme bacteria, Bb, have been found in the dog tick, the lone star tick and both the eastern and western black-legged ticks.

5. A simple ELISA or IFA test will confirm whether or not one has Lyme Disease. Testing remains woefully inadequate and the ELISA's and other screening tests report huge numbers of false negatives. Most of the available tests do not test for presence of the bacteria, only for an immune response from the host. Other tests that may be more valuable, but are still limited, include the Western Blot or the PCR, but they are seldom used as a first line of testing, only to confirm a positive ELISA or IFA. Because testing is still so limited, a diagnosis should be made based on clinical evidence rather than testing alone. Most doctors are afraid to do this (pressure from insurance companies and fear of loss of standing in the medical community?). Also, many misinformed doctors assume that one negative test should rule out Lyme as a possibility, thus leaving thousands of very sick patients without treatment. Insurance companies are also very reluctant to pay for treatment without positive serology and often the amount of treatment for those with positive tests that is covered is terribly inadequate.

Today, there is still a plethora of misinformation on which doctors are basing their practice of medicine; the above are just a few. Doctors that are on the forefront of research and treatment are often ridiculed for their work and persecuted by insurance companies, the medical community and governmental agencies like the OPCM in New York, yet to the Lyme patients these doctors are their only lifeline and are true heroes. They are the only ones who have recognized, treated and validated what patients have been experiencing often for years without help from the medical establishment. Lyme patients are often misdiagnosed or more frequently, told, ``it is all in your head'' or that they are suffering from ``Lyme Hysteria''. Lyme patients that are lucky enough to get a diagnosis of Lyme have to go through an average of 6-9 doctors and 18 months before receiving the diagnosis (in the case of our daughter who was bitten and hospitalized at age 6, it took over 12 doctors and 5 and 1/2 years before we could find a Lyme Literate MD who would treat her).

Thanks to the brave doctors who do treat aggressively for Lyme, many patients now have hope, but many more have no recourse, their PCP won't give a referral, and may say, ``Lyme doesn't exist in our area'' or insurance companies refuse to cover. Some patients have had to declare bankruptcy and some have even become homeless trying to pay for treatment of this debilitating disease. In New York state, doctors who treat aggressively for Lyme are persecuted, even suspended by the OPCM with no recourse or due process. A reform bill just passed in the NY legislature to amend this situation, but fear abounds that Governor Pataki will veto the bill (many discussions regarding this can be found on message boards such as flash.lymenet.org). This legislation will set a precedent that could ultimately affect the care of thousands of patients across the country. If the bill is vetoed, how many Lyme literate doctors will be afraid to practice what they know to be a way to treat and help their desperate patients?

The public needs to be made aware of the truths of Lyme Disease. Doctors need to be much better educated and insurance companies should have to cover treatment of Lyme. Our school systems need to understand the special needs of children suffering from Lyme. Our children are often met with callous or indifferent treatment by uninformed teachers and administrators; children make up the largest group of new diagnoses and deserve empathy and compassion for the hand they are dealt through no fault of their own. There also needs to be more awareness of prevention of tick borne illnesses. Lyme disease very often is accompanied by a co-infection of other illnesses that can be quite devastating such as Erlichiosis, Babesia and Bartonella. Lyme education needs to be a priority in this country, yet it receives scant attention.

I think the Oprah Winfrey Show would be the perfect venue for a discussion on Lyme Disease. There has been some discussion on message boards of enlisting Michael Moore to include Lyme in his upcoming documentary, ``Sicko'', but although I admire his work, this is a subject that needs to be put forth by a less controversial, more respected source such as Oprah. Oprah, who I view as a modern day hero, so often champions the underdog and Lyme Disease patients are definitely the underdogs in the fight against this illness, uncaring insurance companies and uninformed doctors (not to mention teachers, employers, neighbors, etc.). For my daughter (who is actually one of the more lucky ones) and for the thousands of other sons and daughters, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc. who make up the faces of Lyme Disease, please consider dedicating a show to informing the public about Lyme Disease and other Tick-Borne Illnesses. You never know who may be bitten next.

A list of informative web sites (compiled by member, Tincup) for new members of lymenetflash follows:

I didn't include the list here because of space and you guys have that info already. Sorry for the length of this post.

Would anyone like to join me in contacting Oprah?

Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AAmeri21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AAmeri21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill join you in contacting her...absolutly. I need to sit down and write on my experience that'll that a little time for me to get my brain straight.....do you have an email cause you don't have one in your profile. Email me
Thanks
Take Care
Abbie

------------------
You can only see the stars when its the darkest.................

Aol instant messenger name: Lymie711
come chat...learn how http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/026909.html

Posts: 149 | From New City, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatly, we have tried Oprah, Oreilly, and Rosie for at least the last 5 years (that I know of)

It has never gone anywhere. Even Rosie (whose daughter was infected) was not interested--she did, however, mention it briefly on a show.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cityzen
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cityzen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

(I think some additional interest would help and you might even get to be a guest on the show-I don't want to be because there are many of you who would be much more representative of the difficulties of Lyme and probably more articulate)

After reading what you wrote,I think you should reconsider becoming a guest on Oprah's show. I think you would do very well representing other LD patients.

It's a great idea getting Oprah to do a show about us. I don't think Mr. Moore is the right person to help us. The guy's too radical and one-sided. He's just trying to promote himself.(I'm a democrat saying this)

Even if the show never happens, thanks for trying.

Posts: 71 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Abbie,
Thanks for your reply and enthusiasm.

I just signed up for AOL IM earlier today.
My screen name is suzyq5167, add me to your buddy list. Looking forward to chatting with you!

To Kara - I was afraid I was being naive about this, but I just had to try.

Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suz,

There is no harm in trying again..and again..as long as it takes.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is only one thing certain:

Doing nothing will change nothing!

I find it a very good idea to contact Oprah. Maybe she just has to think about it more often and one day she might accept. As we say here: the constant drop is hollowing the stone.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green Darkness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suzy-Q: Good job; never give up. Maybe this time Oprah will listen. Hope so.
Posts: 560 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AAmeri21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AAmeri21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suzy...email me please

------------------

Posts: 149 | From New City, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi SuZ-Q,

Consider the links on http://www.actionlyme.com, and the sites for the FDA, and the U.S.D.O.J. The comprehensive and exhaustively detailed medical facts on these sites are a sin quo non for Oprah if she is going to take this seriously.

In search field, for sites of FDA, and the USDOJ, enter the name 'Kathleen Dickson.' She is a biochemist who submitted testimony under oath, on the many problems associated with the diagnosis and treatment of lyme disease.
See testimony to FDA on the IgG standard, and Rico-complaint w/rt to fraud in lyme disease.
The pertinet links for Oprah to exam are also on " sci.med.diseases.lyme." There, search the 'sci.med.diseases.lyme' site,with Kathleen's name. In one of her postings, she gives a list of pertinant links.
Her work on lyme is exceptional, and impeccable. Be not distracted by anything or anybody, and focus just on the medical science. Irrefutable on the merits, alone!

dq

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 09 August 2004).]

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Hi Abbie,

I'm still kind of new to this. Is there a way to pull up your profile with your e-mail address? Also, I signed up for AIM, but have been having trouble using it. I did put you on my buddy list, so when I figure out how to overcome the computer problem, I hope we can chat. We spent the day going to our LLMD out of state yesterday, so sorry its taken a while to respond.

AAmeri21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5410

Icon 12 posted      Profile for AAmeri21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem I understand....here I'll make it easier [email protected]

------------------

SandyL
Member # 5983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SandyL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will definately help you in any way with the Lyme cause and the Oprah quest. I have had Lyme disease for about 25 years, and passed it on to both of my kids. I have been to all the best Doctors on the EAst coast (Dr. J in CT, Dr. F in NY, etc) - and I used to even due free seminars to obstreticians as to what to do in terms of "Lyme detection/counseling" for their pregnant women. I have a very good reason also for wanting to get involved with this. My 9 year old son is being denied antibiotics by the Division of Youth & Family Services right now - and he is degenerating rapidly and experiencing regressive autism from his congenital/chronic/neurologic Lyme. He has in fact for the last 4 months been wearing pull-ups as he has no control over bowel and bladder due to the neurologic Lyme. (He of course was potty trained successfully years ago). DYFS and their physicians act as though they have never heard of Chronic Lyme, or if they have, it is "rubbish" or "not-believeable". There is currently a Congressman from NJ who is trying to help me by raising my issues with DYFS, and the Office of the Advocate for the Child in NJ is also supposed to be getting involved.

In short, I haven't even watched an Oprah show for a while, but I wonder if this story (as well as our "chronic Lyme story" in general - would interest her - "A poor 9 year old, in a "regular" classroom for his 6 years in school, being denied antibiotics by DYFS, so now in a special ed classroom of "1" with a special ed teacher, wearing pull ups and the Mom not allowed to do any procedures at all to try to prove the Lyme, such as a spinal tap".

Please let me know if/how I can further assist with your effort. You can email me directly at [email protected]

Posts: 69 | From Highland Park, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Thanks to all for your responses. I hope you will all join me in contacting Oprah. It really is easy and you don't have to write a book like I did. Just a few lines to show your interest should help.

To Sandy, I just sent you an e-mail. I will keep you in my thoughts and wish you all the best. Please let me know how you & your son are doing.

Thanks all,
Suzy

heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just found this, and would like to bring it back up to the top.

has anyone had any luck prying a response out of the Oprah show?

i think it's a wonderful idea, and perhaps if we all continue to bombard her with emails, she'll eventually see the importance in addressing the issue.

it would be so wonderful to have more spokespeople for lyme. has anyone thought of other possibilities?

i know michael moore was mentioned, and i personally think he'd be great - yes, he is controversial, but unfortunately, so is lyme. i'm thinking that it may take someone with lefty politics (no offense to anyone else out there - it just seems to me we need folks who are willing to question big pharma, etc to take on the cause) to at least bring this issue into the light; since it's certainly in the political arena already.

so, any more ideas? what about someone like ani difranco? or another well-respected author to join up with amy tan, like maybe alice walker?

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
can not remeber
Member # 6520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for can not remeber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,
I did under dreams come true.
As well as doc phil, thought it would be a great co-op.
Yeah, it would be a dream come true
T.

Posts: 61 | From cosmo | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have contacted her before with no result but as soon as I am up to creating a good letter in the next few days I will do the sathanks for the idea--
I would like to have "my Wildest dreams" answered and be out of debt, have ahouse keeper and someone to take care of me and my children when I cannot--not a new house, not a new car--just some help

I do this all alone even though my husband is present--his time is spent working and trying to give the kids a life. I have been on the puter too long now to write and make sense will tackle it first thing in the morning tommorrow

Cathy

Posts: 192 | From Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

I was just looking at Oprah's website and she is looking for people living with the consequences of medical mistakes to be on her show. I was tempted to send in our daughter's story of 6 years of bouncing from duck to duck(even after being hospitalized from the original tick bite), but I am not sure if I really would want to be on television. Anyone out there want a chance at your 15 minutes of fame? Send in your story at oprah.com. Would love to see one of you on her show.

[This message has been edited by SuZ-Q (edited 02 December 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement