LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » more questions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: more questions...
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for algr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an appointment with an LLMD next week to see if this is the answer to my past few years of illness.

I have a few questions about certain symptoms.

I used to be somewhat depressed, the usual teenage type stuff. I had a really rough period in my life and I got out of it. I was pretty happy for a while. I still don't consider myself depressed at this point, especially knowing how I felt when I was younger, but I find the self esteem/self confidence issues rear their ugly head when I'm feeling most physically vulnerable.

I doubt myself quite a bit...my actions, my decisions, especially my major in college... and I find that the sicker I feel the worse I feel about myself. Is this a fairly common occurance?

Also...neuro effects? I can't concentrate, and this past week I've really noticed it while driving. And i realize that I've had the same problems in other aspects of my life, I just hadn't noticed how it had progressed gradually up until this point.

I feel like I'm going to make wrong turns, I look both ways but miss something obvious. I keep thinking I'm seeing something moving from the edge of my vision and nothing is there (this happens a lot, I usually panic for a quick moment thinking theres a deer or some animal about to cross the road, as its a great fear of mine to hit an animal...I'm your typical vegetarian animal lover).

I go upstairs and forget why. I open the fridge and forget what I meant to get, grab whatever hoping thats what I meant to do.

Even in highschool, I had an assignment pad and never looked at it. Now I have to make lists to keep things straight...what needs to be done today, my assignments for classes, my daily schedule. It makes me paranoid and I find myself depending on these lists in case I happen to forget.

Sorry to ramble, but its all rather frightening. I feel much too young to be losing my sharpness. I practically HOPE this is part of my illness, because then it means its not me.

I almost feel as though I have trouble distinguishing my problems, my traits, my true worries and frustrations from that which my illness causes. Everyone has multiple dimensions to their personality...who they are around their friends, or their family, or when they are alone, who they are when they are doing something they love, or when hardship comes...it seems that my illness is now one of those dimensions, its so prevalent in my life at this point.

Just looking for your experience, and any words of encouragement. Are these mental issues traits of lyme?

In my short time here I've found this message board to be very friendly, informative, and comforting. I thank you for that.

------------------
cheers,
AG

[This message has been edited by algr (edited 16 September 2004).]

Posts: 119 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 10 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to our world here at LymeNet!!!

Not to make light of your situation, but, your story is told over and over and over and over again and again, so as to let you know that you are not alone. Very typical of LD symptoms you are discribing.

Here's some links for you so you can see for yourself just how complicated this disease really is. If you have not gone through them, I highly suggest that you do.

You will also want to bookmark the link in order to go back and re-read through them again and again.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009342.html

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for algr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To anyone who has recovered...do the mental symptoms...depression, fog, coordination problems etc...go away?

------------------
cheers,
AG

Posts: 119 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi AG! Welcome to Lymenet!

Yep, those symptoms are a part of Lyme disease. I've had Lyme most of my life, so I'm not really sure how long my brain stuff has been going on. I guess forever.

Anyway, I'm 53 now and have been in treatment for 4 yrs. My symptoms were gradual and not as pronounced as many, but Lyme slowly destroyed every part of my poor body....brain included.

I've made great progress and last year began hormone therapy which really helped alot. I'm on growth hormone because I have a pituitary gland deficiency.

The growth hormone has restored alot of my mental stuff like depression, energy, concentration, etc. About 5 months ago I began taking Xango and that has brought me to an even higher level of functioning. I'm very grateful to have found it.

So don't worry....when I am sick I feel almost instantly depressed. It's not a good feeling, but just knowing it's part of Lyme does help!

Glad you found us and that we can help!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 3 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think about it, most of the thousands of posters here in the past, are not posting here anymore cause they are now out doing things that they had to neglect while being sick.

So, what I am saying is, the vast majority of sick people who get well, will no longer need this board. We do have a few, very few compared to all those who have signed up here, that continue to help people in their struggle, even though they are in either a long-term remission or actually cured.

But, you can get the picture, can you not? If you were cured, would you still spend the majority of your day here reading and posting replys? I would hope that you would, but, in reality, most would not and don't.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 11 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hope that someone has given you these links already, but, by some of your questions, like the brain thing, you haven't read through them.

I will post the link again, and hope that you will bookmark them, and yes, Are these mental issues traits of lyme?, they are. More Lyme disease patients experience mental issues than not.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009342.html

Not to make light of you situation you related to us above, but, your story is VERY TYPICAL, so you know now that you are not alone.

Rosemary

mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning AG-

Yes, the neuro crap does go away with correct treatment, it takes time. Neuro symptoms were my worst issues and most of the time now I feel they are gone. I'm still in treatment because I am still herxing or having symptoms, mild as they are a couple of times a month.

Your questioning of decisions and actions is normal. I too kept my life organized in my brain. At my worst, I couldn't remember where I took my shoes off at night. I would put them on the kitchen table so I could find them in the morning! Strange, but true.

If you can, try to make a time line of symptoms and any antibiotics taken, for any reason, and whether you felt better afterwrd for your appointmtnt. It was so much easier just to hand my Dr. a paper than trying to talk in an organized manner. I thnk it was easier for him too.

Best of luck next week. There are good people here with lots of information.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 4 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi AG,

Yes, I have very similar symptoms to you.

"I feel like I'm going to make wrong turns, I look both ways but miss something obvious. I keep thinking I'm seeing something moving from the edge of my vision and nothing is there (this happens a lot, I usually panic for a quick moment thinking theres a deer or some animal about to cross the road, as its a great fear of mine to hit an animal...I'm your typical vegetarian animal lover)."

Yep, I experience this same thing. I drive along, look around, but sometimes start pulling out and then suddenly realize there's a car coming. Or I'll be paranoid that there's a car coming when there really isn't. And the same with thinking there's things there in the corner of my vision. It's really annoying and because of this I don't tend to drive a lot, but when I do have to I just make sure to be extra careful when pulling out into traffic or changing lanes on the highway. You're not alone in this!

Peace and healing,
Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement