LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Mad Daughter..class trip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mad Daughter..class trip
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 13 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help myself--I am not allowing my
daughter to go on a "Nature's Classroom"
trip to the ocean or fields. Last year,
a kid came home with lyme disease and the
ducks around here said, "Oh, no, not lyme
disease" because it was atypical rash...meaning not bull's eye. A couple days later the infamous bull's eye appeared.

I have had more friends freak out and come
to me because their kids had ticks on them
with this trip. I am protesting it at the
parents' meeting about it, but otherwise,
I told my daughter I just can't let her go.
I have been ill for 4 years with seizures
and mcs, and there is no way my heart could
take it to watch one of my kids get this.

I promised her I would let her go on a vacation that week, and I understand she is
mad at me, understand why...(all her friends
are going)...but I am standing firm.

More and more folks in my little town are
getting sick...I would literally break down
to watch my child go through anything that
I have gone through and continue to go through.

Help me to stay strong in this battle. One
week is not worth her being sick for years
or life.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
di,

coat her with avon skin so soft for ticks, wear light clothes, long pants and check her really good when she gets home and let her go...my son just went on a similiar trip....

can't stop them from being kids and doing all that outdoor stuff..heck I live right on a pond and my son is always knee deep into everything here...

I just cover him good, and double check him every night...best I can do without making him paranoid of life....

just my opinion..I"m scrared too...

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryteEyez24
Member # 4828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BryteEyez24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree you cant stop kids from being kids. But as a mother I understand! Iwatch my husband struggle everyday with this horrable disease.

He freaks out when the kids are in grassy areas he dont want the kids out when it starts getting dark because of mosqitoes.

Its hard I know but the kids could grow up with some kind of paranoia...

If we live out life in fear its better off not to live.. We would all be like What about Bob....Did you see that movie?

Joyce

Posts: 90 | From Haverhill,MA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't feel I can let her go on this
trip due to the fact that every year the
kids are covered with ticks. My friend
sat on a Lyme Board in FL, and said she had
so many calls about kids contracting Lyme
from these Nature Classroom trips.

Seeing that one of my art student's brothers
contracted it a few months ago (May), I
just can't embark on this. I have let her
go on Girl Scout outings, but this trip
keeps allowing kids to get bit. Another one
of my art students who went on the trip, said
everyone "was covered in ticks" last year,
where the other kid contracted lyme.

I do live in fear as I have an advanced case
of lyme, and two in the family will be too
much. The rest of my family have suffered
from me being ill, emotionally, financially,
...we are drained.

My husband is siding with me, as he has seen
me too sick for too long to disagree. I
can't help myself. My daughter has been
allowed to go to DARE community center, other
events, but not this one. I can't back down
on this...too risky, and in fact, I think
the class trip should be changed.

One day the school is going to find itself
sued for a kid getting really ill.

[This message has been edited by ArtistDi (edited 20 September 2004).]

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

then I'm not sure what you're asking from us di..it seems you definitely know what you want to do, and if you feel so strongly, then you should stick by it.

I really don't think you're looking to be talked out of it...you need to go with what feels right for you and your kids...your gut...it's always worked for you.

that's what I do everyday too...sometimes it's just different for each of us.

Lis

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that I wanted support with my decision, which you are correct--I already
decided-- due to the high occurrence of tick
bites and more lyme cases in my town.

It is a hard stand to take, but I feel
justified, and I wanted to stay strong in
that conviction. I quess I can do that.

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artist Di, Knolwing what I know now, if I could go back and protect my daughter, from know contamination areas and from this horrible disease, I would rip off my right arm or more to do so. I would let her hate me for the rest of her life to enable her to have a normal life!!!

She has been ill for over 6 years and was misdiagnosed for most of them. She has lyme and bartonella and all it's horrible psychiatric problems..She has no friends, is 17 and has never had a date or gone to a dance..Has never gotten her license..Does not have any type of normal life.

She has attempted suicide 4 times and planned a 5th. Been in 3 psychiatric facilities.She also has obsessive compulsive disorder..She does self mutilation. I have seen things that no mother should ever see..If you can prevent it then do whatever you need to do..Put her in a straight jacket..

If the trip is that important to her...Take her yourself for a day and use all precautions..I have read where skin so soft won't do it. That way, she will have some of the event and you will have your sanity and a healthy child. More power to you, but I pray for you in regards to how your teen will react to your choice. You will be the #1 Bitch for awhile.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless there's a complete colapse of the tick population I probaly wouldnt let her go either.But if you do she would have to have clothing treated with permethrin kills them quick,deet for mosquitos I really dont think deet works on ticks I use to dang near swim in it and still got bit but permethrin works well.But best is not even to come in contact with them (ticks).
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

actually,

i live right on a pond in the woods, adn between having my yard sprayed by the local university, who's big into lyme research here in RI , and the avon skin so soft for bugs and ticks, my kids nor I have had one tick this year, and have remained relapse free..

I always get the blue kind that covers blue then disappears so we can see what we cover with the skin so soft...it really does seem to work well...my son is a magnet for ticks and mosquitos..and our area is loaded..

Univ. of RI scoops our area for ticks and in 10 minutes found over 5000 ticks about a mile from our house...adn guess what ? over 65% tested positive for bart! I gave all these stats to Dr. H also....RI is such a hot bed for bart...

anyway, good for you for standing by your convictions di....gotta do what feels right for you !

Lisa

ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Lis, now that you gave me these stats, I am
more convinced she is not going on this trip.
It is supposed to be in RI near the ocean.

Di

lla2
Member # 2364

di, the ocean is actually a good place to be..they don't like hte salt ....very few ticks they've found by the water ....

only in the woods

Lisa

Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Di, I am with you. You have my unconditional support. I have two boys, and we were all diagnosed 4 yrs ago with Lyme.

It took me the first year after diagnosis to slowly start to limit our outdoor contact. We live in an area in northern CA where there are ticks out our back door.

I told my boys, who were 7 yrs and 10 yrs old at the time of diagnosis, that the reason we have Lyme, is because we (me especially) were such outdoors type people. Not just your casual hiker/camper.

I was your total outdoor girl. I had 2 german shepherd dogs, and we hiked everywhere, camped everywhere. I moved up to No. CA from L.A. because I fell in love with the beauty of this place. Open space parks to hike, bike, camp everywhere you looked. In l998, we moved to our dream house, on an acre, near open space, where there are deer in our backyard. Very untypical type neighborhood, amongst tract house type neighborhoods.

Anyway, I went thru this with both boys. They attend private schools where there are outdoor field trips to everywhere around here, and slowly, I started to tell them they could not go. At first, it was no big deal, I just made it a fun play day at home, then it became more and more where they were being asked/teased about not going on these trips by kids at school.

In spring 2001, my sons 8th grade teacher blabbed to the whole class that my son was NOT GOING ON THE OUTDOOR EDUCATION TRIP BECAUSE HE HAS LYME. I freaked out, and called this idiot teacher at home and reemed her out for spewing confidential medical information to the whole class. oF course my son was mortified, and it set the tone for the rest of his jr. high years at this school.

Now, he's in high school, they go on a retreat type trip to the Santa Cruz mountains every fall, and it is tick country there. Highly endemic. I will not let him go, and we still have not been in agreement on this, because he feels left out, and there is one kid in particular who makes my son feel horrible because he won't/can't go on this trip.

I wish it were easy to get my kids to ignore the peer pressure of the group of kids that jeer and ridicule them for not going, but that is maybe in another lifetime, not this one. I hate it hate it hate it, but I told both my boys just recently that I simply will not live another single minute wondering if I am putting their health at risk by allowing them to attend one of these stupid school trips. I cannot handle it.

The possibility of another tick bite would kill me. My spirit would die. Maybe my body wouldn't, but until/unless YOU ARE A MOTHER OF A CHILD WITH LYME, you will not be able to relate to this at all.

Oh, and by the way, my husband is NOT in agreement with me on this. Just this past Friday, I lied to him about where my youngest son was. I told my husband he was at school, but in fact, he was with me all day because his class was taking a river raft trip on the American River thru Sacramento, and I personally went on this trip when my oldest son went on it a few years ago, and I know for a fact that the shores of this river have ticks on them.

I told my youngest son on Friday, who persisted in pestering me to the very last minute (that very morning of the trip) that he WILL NOT GO on any field trips that his school takes that go into tick country.

There is no arguing with me anymore on this. I am completely completely beyond wishy washy in my decision making on this issue. I will not bend. My husband can divorce me, I will probably be looking at giving up my children, but I simply will not cave.

I'm dead tired of the people who do not get this. If they want to say "oh, there are ticks everywhere, what are you gonna do live in a bubble?" I say, whelp, I'm not living in the tall grass walking thru the forest letting the questing ticks rub up on my pants and find their way to my bellybutton, that's for damn sure". No bubbles, please, but no more outdoor nature girl for me. And until my boys are 18, out of the house, and paying for their own medical insurance, they better make damn sure they're not wandering thru the woods while they live under my roof.

Because if I find that they do, I'm outta here.

They know I mean this.

I've had it.

Until there's a cure . . . (and we all know there won't be one).

I'm with you Di.

[This message has been edited by Just Julie (edited 21 September 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Just Julie (edited 21 September 2004).]

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Di, I had a few other rambling thoughts on this: for the outdoor education field trips (week long) that my boys do not go on, I either schedule a trip to Disneyland, or other place that is fairly close and easy to get to, or we have a total "vacation" type week, where we have fun, no heavy duty anything during that time that they are missing the trip with school.

The 2nd thing that I have always done, is if there is any "work" that the teacher assigns because my son(s) are not attending the "outdoor education" (what a joke) trip, I DO THE ASSIGNED ASSIGNMENT for them. I do not tell the teacher (shushhh!) that I am doing it, but I tell my child that it is "my" fault they are not going on this school trip, so I will do the work, not them.

I feel it is my responsibility as their mother to make this decision for them, because after all, that is what mothers are for, right? And I will take the punishment for them because it is not up to them that they are not going on the trip.

The rationale behind this is that I do not feel it is right for the teacher to assign anything for my child to do because due to a medical condition, he is missing this trip.

If the trip were scheduled anywhere but outside in an endemic area for ticks, then my son would certainly attend the outdoor education trip. But this is so unlikely to happen. I can't see the schools switching these field trips to have the kids learn about nature in some hotel somewhere, right? It's always a mountain cabin in the woods or woods near the ocean type thing. The damn ticks backyards for god's sake.

So, seeings how the field trip will never be in a "safe" place for my son to go wandering around in, I take the hit for them. They do some learning, but it is not the type the teacher is thinking they're doing.

They're learning about life, and how damn hard it is, when you can't do something that you want to do, and you know you're gonna get teased and made fun of because of your situation. I hurt, I get so hurt, when my boys feel left out of a peer situation, but I have learned some rough stuff too, these past 4 yrs. I've learned how cruel grownup teachers can be, and how calloused they can become when you try to engage them for some help for your child.

I have one jr. high teacher in particular that I'd like to smack between her eyes for her judgmental and snarky attitude towards me and my son. This is my 2nd round with her, she taught my oldest son for 2 yrs in jr. high, and now she's getting my youngest son. Who's got Lyme. And who will not be going on any outside field trips that go into tick country.

I learned that I need to say very little to this woman, and to the other teachers as well. I spoke up for my first son, and the 3 teachers seemed interested, but in the end, I learned that they were just pacifiying me, and the one lead teacher even told me I was being "overly sensitive" about my son's Lyme and his condition after I confronted her when she blabbed her mouth to her class about my son not attending their precious outdoor education week long trip.

Well, not anymore. They get no more education out of me, and they certainly won't be told the why's or wherefor's of my decisions of whether my youngest son goes on any field trips.

In fact, I think I'll use the blanket "we're going out of town at that time" excuse and let them all wonder.

I've got 6 more years of this. Wonder if I'll make it.
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Lis,

I don't agree with ticks not being near the
ocean. One of my best friends lives in
Truro, Cape Cod, and he says there are plenty
of ticks in grasses near the ocean. He does
tick checks all the time.

Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArtistDi:
Lis,

I don't agree with ticks not being near the
ocean. One of my best friends lives in
Truro, Cape Cod, and he says there are plenty
of ticks in grasses near the ocean. He does
tick checks all the time.

Well, our last summer being "outdoors people" before seeing our LLMD that following September, I took my boys to a camping destination called www.Costanoa.com It was a newish luxury camp type thing, where you could either bring your own tent, rent one of their luxury tent cabins, stay in a 2 family "cabin", or stay in the lodge.

This place was breathtaking, a direct walk acros hwy 1 on the coast of California. I had no idea that we might encounter ticks of any kind. You walk thru paths with tall rush grasses on both sides of the trail. At this point in the summer, my symptoms were ramping up, but I honestly didn't know if I had Lyme yet. Both my boys had had Lyme symptoms come and go for the past 4 yrs.

So, we're at Costanoa, directly across the street from the pacific ocean, and I find ticks crawling on the walls of our cabin, we go mountain bike riding in Big Basin National Park, down a W-I-D-E bike path, find a tick crawling in my hair, and one crawling down the back of my youngest sons shirt. and the kicker is, that night, as we were getting ready for bed, my youngest son Sean, says "mom isn't that black dot thing behind Kevin's ear, a tick?" I freak out at 10p.m. at night, and we go running over to the management building, and he yanks it out w/ tweezers and drops it on the floor! I try so hard to calm down, but the manager guy says, well, there it goes! I ask if there are ticks here???!!!!!!!!!!!!! and he says yes there is.

This is an ocean camp. He also said that most people who find ticks there, or on them, go home. I would've been out thousands of dollars at that point, if we'd just bailed, so I stayed.

Dumb mom.

That summer, the one of 2000, was one where I took my boys on many trips, just the 3 of us. Every single place I took us (Inverness, Point Reyes Station, beaches along the coast up there) had ticks everywhere. Breathtaking beauty, to say the least.

That was our last summer with blinders on.

I camp no more. And will never hike in the tall grasses again in this most beautious of land to live on. Northern California - paradise lost. And I am so sad. My heart is broken.

Unrepairable nature girl.

[This message has been edited by Just Julie (edited 22 September 2004).]

Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, looking at your article, is this like an "outdoor school" where the kids are gone for like a week?
If so, I certianly understand your concern.
See if you can engage the other mother whos child got lyme disease in doing an "Outdoor school lyme awareness meeting".

At the parents meeting, hand out tick identification cards available through the lyme disease association.

Take a copy of the new Guidelines to each teacher of the school.

Educate anyone involved with planning, and development of this natures classroom on tick borne illness and the consequenses.

There is enough published literature now, including the new ILADS guidelines, that dispell some of the rumors (like the rash). to which parents have more tools to fight with (hey now its published...now its a legal issue if they dont treat).

Now, I wont disagree with you because you are the mom.....

but in my opinion, if it were my daughter...I would let her go. Give her tools to watch for any potential infection.

You cant protect her. Even when Lishka was little and in heart failure, the doctor told us to not go anywhere or do anything because it could kill her....so, she wanted to go to disneyland....and Texas.....

so we did! (we even rode rides that she wasnt supposed to...) why? Because she could die anyway, and a child should be able to enjoy life...live life....not just think about it.

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lla2:
di,

coat her with avon skin so soft for ticks, wear light clothes, long pants and check her really good when she gets home and let her go...

Lisa, the latest issue of the Lyme Times says Avon Skin So Soft is not effective.

quote:
Avon makes Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535, but tests by Consumer's Union and a group from the Mass General Hospital (published in the New England Journal of Medicine) showed this product not to be at all useful in repelling insects. Deet was reported to be the best repellent.

From the Lyme Times
Summer 2004
pg. 7

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
California
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by riversinger (edited 22 September 2004).]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 8 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! That makes me mad when y'all talk about the teachers and their ignorance/stupidity. I hope I do not encounter that such thing. However, I am sure it is innevitable.

How dare that one teacher stand up and annouce it to the classroom!!!!

I have not really sat down with the 2nd grade teacher yet this year and told her what is going on. She knows that she stops off in the nurses office every morning for her concerta already.

I am about to add some more pills and more stops to the nurses office. Yuck! But I must do it anyway. No choice.

With what you have gone through, I can not blame you either, it is soooo hard.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momoflymie
Member # 6268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momoflymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work at school. Every year I send a typed letter to all of my daughter's teachers on the first day. It goes into detail regarding Lyme Disease and my daughter's symptoms, what to expect to happen. She is on a "504 Plan" with a "Home Bound" status,this is federal law for students with disabilities. The teacher's can not hold any thing against them. All absences are not counted against the student. Any work to be made up has no limit except before end of grading period. We have never had any problems with any teacher to date. The counselor, by law, meets with the parents and teachers and outlines what the teachers will need to do to accomodate my child. AS for the teacher making remarks to the class.... see the principal... this is against the law. Also, all of my daughters friends are aware of Lyme symptoms and have never rejected her, are very supportive. Go to school, insist on a "504 Plan" and "Home bound" status... it is your right... no teacher, or human for that matter, has a right to discriminate or humiliate your child. hope this helps.
Posts: 5 | From sanford, nc, usa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Avon works great for us..it has for the past three years and we live in a highly infected area....

I"m very happy with it...

it's a shame they're bad mouthing it...i've recommended it to friends as well adn they've been very happy with it as well..no bites etcc..

sometimes you can't believe what you read...trust what works for you!

Lisa

[This message has been edited by lla2 (edited 25 September 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement