LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » getting rid of my possesions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: getting rid of my possesions
rdcallen
Member # 3987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdcallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My belongings upset me for some reason. I am cleaning out everything and giving away and donating things I have had for years.

Have I lost emotional attachment due to memory loss?

Is this OCD?

I know the clutter stresses me and I can't handle any upset at all since I've been sick. Also I think if I die I want everything to be cleaned and organized.

Should someone stop me?
Thanks,
Cathy

Posts: 71 | From Warren, Mi, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 8 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!! Stop!!! I have had the exact thoughts,it is part of being cronically ill. How strange here I sit trying to incorage some one else when I am hurting so bad myself.Hey!! no checking out allowed !! Were to draw the line? I think it is when you are close to not being able to reach down and wipe your own butt.Can you still reach it? If so then no checking out!!! I personally don't wan't anyone wiping my butt.If I can't do it then I will check out. MADDOG
Posts: 4010 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

You're asking "Should someone stop me?" lends allot of insight. Perhaps it means you should stop and look at what's going on and why (not to say clearing things is a bad idea..but just to look at this)

Is it OCD?

Could be. Need to know more about your illness, treatment, symptoms ect. to take a guess..and what you want to get rid of.

I can share that my son sufferes from an extreme case of LD and Bartonella that has caused significant infection in several areas of his brain, one of his problems has been OCD.

When he was shortly after beginning intensive therapy, (this was also there when he was pre-treatment) but, post intensive therapy as part of a Herxheimer..he was very ill physically, and despite that, spent an ENTIRE day tirelessly cleaning out every inch of his room..spontaneous obsession.

He put amost everything in bags and wanted it all thrown out, rearanged all furniture, pictures on the wall..bookshelves cleared.

..dissassembled his closet, throwing out everything in there, removing all hardwear and the doors..nails and screws, and made it into an alcove.

He cleaned all the walls, vacuumed..everything. This while in a state of severe illness, white as a sheet..weak..sweating..
but nothing could stop him. Major OCD episode.

Just an example of TBD induced OCD.

In his case, I took everything away that he wanted to throw out, and stored things of value downstairs in boxes. Later..he wanted some of the things back.

What kinds of things are you thinking of getting rid of?

Clutter is stressful..and maybe not a bad idea to clear it.

If you are unsure about whether the possessions should be gotten rid of, maybe you can choose to store them, and revisit that later.

Also..you could consider whether this is illness based..information that could help you figure out yout condition and/or treatment.

Hang in..and I think it is very healthy to ask questions and look at what's going on.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always say...if you wanna organize the closet...you gotta empty it first!

Sounds like a new look and fresh ideas are in....cool.

trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdcallen
Member # 3987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdcallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, MADDOG, I don't mean I am going to do myself in. Just have a 'feeling' like a premonition or something that I can't shake. I know who to call on if I do want to end it all, though. You are very encouraging.

I have been there but had enough sense to tell my family and doctor so they could help me.

I am wondering if throwing things out is healthy or a symptom of the lyme. Guess it could be either.

I have been on treatment 18 months now. I have plateaued and not getting anywhere just yet. I am doing a Babs treatment just in case and already was treated for Bart. I am still disabled as I was quite sick in the beginning. We don't know how long I've had lyme. It's been 2 years exactly since the symptoms hit hard.

The story of your son sounds VERY familiar. I am trying to keep what my kids might find important but things just don't hold any attachment to me. They just drive me nuts.

My mom gives me stuff and it goes out the back door as quick as it comes in the front.

I'm afraid that when I 'snap out of it' I will wish I had all my things back.

The storage is a good idea but that is also driving me crazy and I am clearing out what's in storage.

I'll mention the symptom to my llmd and see what he thinks.

Would therapy help a disorder that is caused by lyme?

Thank you all for your replies.
Cathy

Posts: 71 | From Warren, Mi, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would suggest ,you dont do anything rash..lyme screws with emotions,feelings..i know what i am saying. have 2 kids,havent seen daughter in 23 years,son 5 years ago.pain of not seeing them was aways there.(birthdays,christmas,etc)..and i mean GOD awlful pain! it no longer hurts since lyme took over. does that mean i dont care? have no feelings..time? wait till you get better. that way you have no regretts..please dont ask for details..gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like my daughter's OCD and my clutter.. I know the OCD is lyme disease/Bartonella..We had to shovel out her room before lyme..

She goes to a psych..a great one..but still the OCD is overwhelming..Maybe it would be worse without meds..? I think the infection must be under control before we see great improvement.

For Mo, the next step is that the house is contaminated and he may not be willing to go out of his room..Our daughter will take another shower if she is forced to come into the main part of the house.

She takes a min. of 2 showers a day when she is sedentary..More if she does anything..4-5 towels are required for each one, since she puts the towels on the entire floor of the bathroom for fear she might get a germ there.

Bedroom is sterilized if anyone else walks in and it is standard to scrub and vacuum twice a day. Also now is having trouble eating any food that is from our house..

While I do not have a pig stye, I am not June Cleaver so anything out of place or cluttered, just feeds her fury..

She also can't be around her father. He is considered dirty..She will take all money he funnels her way..It is hard on him to deal with all of this.. Not that it is a party for me.

I am basically slaved to suicidal depression.

And the clutter with me is procrastination..I choose sleep instead of organizing when it comes between the two. I think it is exhausiton instead of lyme..But there are a couple that know some of my symptoms that are wondering if I will ever get tested...some day...

Good luck. this is hell...

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdcallen
Member # 3987

Oh dear,
It IS getting worse. Wonder how far it will progress.

Gary, thanks for the advice. I will give my family a heads-up to help.

lymemomtooo, so sorry that you and your daughter are suffering in so many ways. I agree, lyme is hell. I am rejecting people in my life, too. Problem is they are the ones I love the most.

I just never expected symptoms like this. I take pych meds for depression and agoraphobia. I guess I will add this to the list.
CA

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi rdcallen,Sorry I thought the wrong thing about your situation.Wow I need a little of your problem here,this place is a total mess.Seems like things just walk in and clutter the place up.I have so many stacks of stuff that there isn't any more room to stack things.My problem has been, no time to throw stuff out .Or I am just to tired. MADDOG
Posts: 4010 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got a computer scanner? cd burner?
ok, stop cussing me out. you know my sense of humor.
listen, this will pass then you will want all that crap back.
I had to laugh at the "dont do anything 'rash'"
rash??? get it??
I think I am still affected by the joy juice I got yesterday --I got a port put in.
heehaw.
stick with treatment you will get better.
or you will become a monk and write a best selling book about Lyme induced freedom from possessions.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdcallen
Member # 3987

Shame on you, Once Bitten for trying to take advantage of me in my compromised state!LOL

Unfortunately I'm not getting rid of anything of value to anyone else (I don't have anything of any value to anyone else). Just sentimental stuff that all of a sudden means nothing. The problem is I know it SHOULD mean something, just doesn't

Well just in case I will have hubby and kids go through my discard pile to make sure I'm not throwing their things away.

MADDOG, guess we need a happy medium of keeping and throwing away. Problem is, lyme doesn't seem to have any happy meduims, just extremes.

You've all been very helpful as I try to sort things out (literally).

Cathy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement