LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Pharmacy doubled their price!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pharmacy doubled their price!
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I, more than likely, just took my last Bicillin shot.

I went to get my refill and they tried to charge me more than twice what they usually do.

They said they were actually undercharging me by accident.

They said they were charging me for ten units(shots) and they should have been charging me per ml, which would 20.

They are 2ml per shot. As I understand it. I really don't understand it to be honest. I'm gonna go back tomorrow to make sure.

I was paying $185 for ten shots, which does sounds cheap compared to what I hear some pay. It's now going to be $400.

I just can't swing that. I could for a month or two but not 8 or more months.

I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow and ask that she switch me to something and hope my insurance will cover it.

If it's an oral I'm sure they will. I think I was leveling off with Bicillin anyway.

I've been on it since May.

------------------
``I had no intention of living this way.'' -Adam Duritz

Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option is to shop around. I have found that there is a lot of differences with pharmacies.

I travel an hour out of town because the local pharmacies were little to no help with getting the supplies and prescriptions filled or the price was so much more than the other pharmacy.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kam:
Another option is to shop around. I have found that there is a lot of differences with pharmacies.

Thanks for the reply.
I did shop around. I could only find two pharmacies to even fill it.

One was Wal Mart and the other was and independent one. I must have went to 10 pharmacies.

The independent one was going to charge me $800!!!

I do believe I was getting a real deal at the 185. From what I hear the 400 is a pretty good deal.

I just can't afford it. I just wish they wouldn't have noticed.

Or if my insurance would just do what I pay to them to do then everything would be fine.

Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you look into any of these?
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004031.html

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyma Bean
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lenny-

If she won't switch, maybe you should! It doesn't sound like you're saving any money by staying in network. My co-pay for seeing Dr.M out of network is usually @ $125. He only prescribes meds that are covered. I don't know how long 10 shots last you, but unless its at least 3 months......well you do the math

Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've paid around 300 at CostCO. Yu don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy.
Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 10 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I was only prescribed 6-8 Bicillin IM shots, I had to pay for all 10 as they came packaged that way. So now I plan on taking all 10 since they cost me $702.50. I think anything under that price would be a good deal.

It's so hard to say...I can't believe the desparity in the US prices. I can't imagine why the price would be that far off from others around the country selling the same drug. It's criminal that we do not have some sort of comformity when drugs are in the picture.

Kinda like how they forced the packaged goods sold in the US must have indegrediants and certain other information...oh well, just rambling and not making much sense...

Later,

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was first prescribed Bicillin I was searching around at different pharmacies and one just across town was going to charge me 800 for 10.

Wal-Mart was just 185...come to find out they were undercharging me and it's now 400. Yeah there is no rhyme or reason to the prices.

You know wal-mart and that other pharmacy I just mentioned order it from the same place and they were going to charge me 400 more dollars than wal-mart.
Sad.

------------------
``I had no intention of living this way.'' -Adam Duritz

guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 5 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you are going thru this!!!! I really don't understand!! You say you have ins. why won't they pay for it?

I have ins. thru Social Services (state ins.) maybe you could try going to your local Social Services and apply for Medical Assistance?

They pay for all of my meds. I was on Bicillin shots too and my ins. covered it. It's a really good program they have there!

I am now on IV Doxy and the ins. is paying for all of it. I hope you try this. Good Luck, You are in my thoughts!!!!Jamie

I hope I am not doing anyrthing wrong by mentioning Social Services......Every state, county has an office.This is just my opinion/experience..........

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

quote:
Originally posted by guiney:
You say you have ins. why won't they pay for it?

Yeah, I have insurance through my school district. Otherwise it's pretty good. I had an MRI last spring and I didn't have to pay one penny, but they are weird about their meds. I've called and begged. It was real nice this month. I just got my first round of amoxicillin filled and a one month supply, 180 pills, was 10 bucks! That's better than 400.
Can you get on the social service thing if you already have insurance? I don't want to get off what I have because it's good otherwise.

guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure you can. When I first got on it me and my children had other ins. I couln't afford the co-pays for meds. or the doctors office.

If you are a student that would be a plus for you!!!! Good luck, Jamie

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into whether you can get reimbursed for the Bicillin under major medical? My insurance WILL NOT cover it under the pharmacy plan but reimburses at 80% if I submit a receipt and a claim form. It took some effort to get them to inform me of this and further effort to get them to process the claims correctly but it worked eventually.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bysunrise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bysunrise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to try drugstore.com; I find them to have the best prices.
best,
lea

Posts: 145 | From NE | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement