LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone ever been involved in one of those women's fitness programs called Curves?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever been involved in one of those women's fitness programs called Curves?
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one opening up a few miles away and I am considering joining. Before Lyme/Babesia, I was a workout queen and was consistently climbing 85 flights on the Stairmaster at one time, and lifting weights. I miss my once-fit bod. I have lost all the weight I put on immediately after I became ill, all due to these illnesses, about 45 lbs. But am sooo flabby! My tolerance for activity can be limited at times.

I am looking for something not so high-paced, somewhere I can go to work at the level I am feeling that day. Where they might have more tolerance for "illness" issues, unlike some of those gyms where everyone is push, push, push.

I cannot tell much from the website they have, so was just curious if anyone has used one of these places to try to get into shape.

Could use a diversion anyway, and would be a good way for me to get out of the house.

Anyone have any feedback? Since this is just opening, noone I know in this area knows much about it yet.

Thanks...

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitamom
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitamom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who works in a Curves here in Virginia Beach. She is also a Weight Watchers instructor and very familiar with exercise. She really likes the program there. It apparently is not very exerting...short times on alot of different equipment. No men....very relaxed atmosphere. Have fun!
Posts: 83 | From Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Lymie friend here who goes to Curves. She loves it!

congratulations on feeling well enough to do that!!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who manages one here in Texas. It seems like a nice place.
Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm..

I am in no shortage of cuviture

Just kidding about the name..I don't know of this one.

I have started rebounding and Pilates at home..may do Tai Quan Do with my son, for mind and body..

Yoga..throughout. I suggest this even for fifteen minutes in the morning no matter what your workout otherwise is. It has really helped in a very broad way.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few friends who swear by Curves.

My husband's coworker lost 100 pds going to Curves (and she started dieting also).

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mammachase
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mammachase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I questioned a friend here about going and she told me that it wouldn't be for me because they move very quickly from machine to machine in rotation, where I have trouble moving fast that it would be an obstacle for me to keep up.
Posts: 190 | From Bourne, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a couple of ladies here in town who joined.

Most the time the company benefited because they were not consistant in going. They would miss several months, start up again, and then miss again.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have belonged several times over the last 6 years, as I currently joined a new facility (Curves)that just opened. I have at least 30 lbs to loose.

Have been going about 2.5 weeks now. I like it because you are not at a "meat market" type gym. You do not have to worry about your flab hanging out and what you are wearing is "in".
If you do 3x a week for 30 minutes, you will definately be doing a body some good.

It is fast pace, but most of the ladies in the one I go to are quite a bit older than me and move with the flow. I would suggest it, if you feel you are ready to get in shape again.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to a local Y. Can't use the pool at present because of central line but am a frequent visitor to the machine room. If I don't feel up to doing a complete mile on the treadmill, I just stop when I don't feel like going on. Working thru the pain is not for me!

But just doing treadmill at average walking pace and various other machines has made a difference and I try to go at least twice a week. Doesn't sound like much but something is better than nothing and it really did make a noticeable difference.

This kind of facility has little kids up to granddads, so there isn't as much pressure to keep up with the jocks. They also have classes, but I haven't been able to convince them to offer tai chi.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
our location ran a promo for women who had a mammogram w/in previous 6 mths to waive the membership fee (149.00), so I decided to give it a try!

Today was my first day to try it. I told them of my condition and limitations (doc ind little or no aeoribic stuff) so, I just kind of hang out in between the stations instead of jogging etc!!

Also, I'm only doing 1 of the rotations for now!! I enjoyed it so much but, am very sore this afternoon!! I have been off work since October last year and was going so nuts by myself!! I really liked just seeing the folks and not feeling "too fat" to play!!

I take my kiddo to school every morning so, am planning to swing by there on the way home while I am upright and dressed!!

I think it will be a good thing. Many of the machines are the same ones Katie uses at physical therapy!!

Sherry

------------------

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly good reviews! Thanks to all who responded.

It opens next Monday, so think I will stop on by there and talk to them. And observe. I used to be one of those gym rats at the meat market in my other life. Before Lyme. I have been anxious for a long time to start getting back into physical activity. And as long as I don't let my "compulsive self" take over and do too much, think I will enjoy it!

Thanks all.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitsicox
Member # 6307

Icon 7 posted      Profile for kitsicox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ConnieMc,

Congrats on your wgt loss!! IMO that is more than half the battle when you're trying to get back in shape.
Good for you!!

I have also heard great things about Curves.

Posts: 53 | From North Oaks, MN, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LemonZinger
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, new here; and a maybe little late to respond to this. But I can't resist telling how much love Curves. Post-Lyme crisis, thanks to Curves, my joints are all working properly any time!

This type of activity is ideal for cardio workout, muscle toning and weight bearing (to help prevent calcium loss.)

My figure is so much better even without having lost a lot of weight. Fat converts to muscle so I don't really look my weight. I want to lose 1 or 1 1/2 dress sizes but I will have to watch what I eat a little better to achieve that. But at least I'm no longer gaining weight!

You can go to Curves and try out a few machines; see for yourself. (Call first to make sure the staff isn't tied up with another appointment so you can get undivided attention, especially since they are just opening up and may be very busy.)

The machines are all hydraulic and automatically adjust to how hard you want to work so it's suitable for nearly anyone of any strength. Even women in their 80s go there.

You spend 30-35 seconds on each station (a machine or recovery pad) for a total of 25-30 minutes and there is ample time to get from one machine to another for most women.

If you can't reach your target heart rate, you need to work harder on the machines. You can work according to your capabilities and ask for modified techniques or skip over machines that bother a bad joint or whatever. This is so easy and so much fun. I hope you give it a try.

It might look "silly" in the pictures you see on the internet or how people describe it, but you've got to try out yourself to see what you think.

Just remember to stretch a few minutes after your workout. That it the best way to end your workout and minimize sore muscles. That really does make a difference!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey - I hope you did go!!

I've been going MWF now and just finished my 6th visit.

I'm sore as all get out and still only doing one rotation but, really do enjoy it.

I spoke w/ my PCP about the excercise etc and he was totally for it - did stress starting very slowly and only doing one rotation for a while!!

Good luck!!

------------------

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, the stretching thing is NO JOKE!

I started going and did not stretch the first 2 weeks. What a bad idea....I was hurting in the back of the legs when I walked. Started stretching and all better now.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YIPPY!!!! I just got back from Curves and my first measurement after 30 days.

I lost an all over 16.5 inches! Mind you that is only 2.5 in the waist and 3.5 in my abdomen. But I was excited to see that!

Curves does work!

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I have been by there and talked to them at length about my situation. And they are very receptive to working me through all this. I am going to the doc office week after next, and will wait to address this with them. Want to also make sure it's in my medical records that it is OK to do this program specifically, as if anyone is "watching" me (disability carriers and the like), want to make sure I have doc approval. Hopefully they will be OK with it. I have info for them to review. I am motivated to do it, having been previously very into exercise, etc. But still feeling a bit unsure of myself and hoping I do OK.

The facility I am looking at is brand new, so the instructors are pretty busy with appointments teaching new recruits. So wanted to wait a bit anyway so I could start when they aren't so busy and I can have perhaps a little more individual time with them. Told them I would be s-l-o-w, both physically and in the brain. LOL

Glad there are such good reviews.

ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

ConnieMC - I know what you mean about disability and "are they watching" - it's a shame we have to be scared to try to do anything that might make us feel a tiny tad better!!

My PCP wrote me a scrip indicating strength training and increasing cardio so that I would be "covered" if it were questioned!!

I haven't really done anything physical in 3 or 4 years!! I started out trying to walk 5 to 8 minutes a day!! Sounds so wierd since I used to ride horses, rodeo, work out, dance and run 3 to 5 miles a day before I was sick!!

I hope this Curves things continues to help! I like the way I "hurt" after it!! You know, kinda like an accomplishment pain or something - LOL !!

Take care,
sherry

------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lookin4answers:
YIPPY!!!! I just got back from Curves and my first measurement after 30 days.

I lost an all over 16.5 inches! Mind you that is only 2.5 in the waist and 3.5 in my abdomen. But I was excited to see that!

Curves does work!

Good job, Amanda!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement