LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Mercury testing on the cheap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mercury testing on the cheap
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And no doctor gets involved. Costs $25 for test kit and U. of NC does the testing, sends results to you personally.

So, if you want to do this on your own, without getting stuck by needles, might want to try this route. They use hair instead.

I may try this because after two blood tests, I still have no results. First time they didn't take enough blood. Second time the lab tech put the blood in wrong tube and it was rejected! Waiting to see if they charge me for this latest goof. Anyway, I'm tired of getting stuck. My veins are hard to find.

http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/features/details?item_id=521521&campaign_id=503433

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am assuming I will test positive for this. If so, then what?

How do I detox from Mercury?

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I have heard of people having dental fillings replaced,changing their diet to exclude fish, having chelation therapy.

Whether any or all of these would actually help is the question.

And if you aren't going to do these things, why test for heavy metals like mercury?

You are making me scratch my head and wonder.

Meanwhile, why would you assume you have too much mercury in your body? Maybe not.

The reason I am somewhat interested is that heavy metal overload might affect immune system and contribute to its inability to fight lyme. Have heard this as one of any number of possibilities to explain chronic lyme. Another theory is that intravascular coagulation caused by infection might prevent drugs from reaching their targets, etc. Got to be umpteen theories on why lyme becomes chronic after late diagnosis.

Another late night puzzle to keep me awake.

When I tried a little research on whether mercury testing on hair compared with blood measurement, I came up with an article that said mercury in hair was better at detecting this metal as aquired from fish eating, not from metal amalgams in mouth, which showed up better in urine and blood testing. Harvard guys said hair testing not useful. But, as usual, there is more than one opinion out there. Still a lot of controversy over whether metal amalgams are a problem at all.

If anyone is interested, I will post some journal article abstracts on the subject.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lou,

I'm very interested. I worked in a factory for almost 4 years where I handled raw material consisting lf lead paint, also mercury to some degree.

At times, had on gloves, other times none. Had no idea of the damage of chemicals at that time.

Actually started having some problems with arthritis type symptoms before leaving that job and was completely disabled with 3 months of my departure.

My sister worked there also and has many problems.I am 44 and very close to having knee replacements on both knees.

So very mcny other problems, won't even bother with tonight.

If you don't mind saying, what state are you in?

God Bless You,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are more conflicting theories about how to detox from mercury and other heavy metals than there are ticks in a New Hampshire woodland -- and I mean conflicting. But a good place to look for info is http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/adult-metal-chelation/

Might be a good place to check out the reputation of the U of NC testing, too.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 11 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam,

I read your post and I'm very concerned for you.

With your exposure to heavy metals, you definitely need testing. When you said you were disabled 3 months after departing your job------that's a huge red flag.

There is a whole cascade of problems that evolves in the body chemistry when a person has severe heavy memtal toxicity.

It screws up everything.

Ten years ago I did extensive research on heavy metals via books; no internet. I had my mercury amalgams removed by a biological dentist who ran blood test (CBC) & urinalysis.

He handwrote out all the implications of each test value which ended up being 2 pages long.

He studied my CBC & determined that something was pulling at my immune system. He could not tell for sure, if it was mercury, but something was wrong.

No Doctor ever told me that before.

He loved doing this work. What a rare Dentist he is.

I still should have more EDTA IV chelations done. I've had DMPS IV, Chemet oral (high dose $900 a bottle); and about 20+ EDTA IV chelations.

We no longer have super-duper insurance & so money is a problem in getting more chelations.

At that time, my lead levels were high & documented by urinalysis immediately after my first EDTA Chelation IV. So, insurance reimbursed me for chelation due to lead toxicity.

It takes a lot of research, finding the right dentist who knows what he's doing, tons of supplements adjusted to your blood test and money to get the amalgams removed.

Then, you have to dedicate yourself to getting the chelation done.

Ten years ago, they advised getting the amalgams removed first & then doing chelation therapy IVs.

Obviously, my information is outdated.

Gigi on the board has provided tons of information about heavy metal toxicity.

Also, a medical doctor can perform at least some preliminary blood tests checking for lead levels.

When you read what lead does to your body, you will definitely want to get a blood test. I'd imagine that is something you can get ordered by any doctor. Insurance should cover that.

You'll have to research the current best way to test for lead. Years ago it used to be hair analysis. With advanced technology, I don't know the best method.

Seriously, I hope you will consider researching this.

I first read one of the early versions of "It's all in Your Head" by Hal Huggins, DDS. It's a fascinating book even if you don't have mercury toxicity. You learn alot about the brain & nutrition.

His case histories are eye-popping.

Chronic Mercury Toxicity by H.L. Queen. is another comprehensive book.

Toxic Metal Syndrome (How metal poisonings an affect your brain) by Dr. H. Richard Casdorph and Dr. Morton Walker is another book.

These folks probably all have websites now.

Each of those books were also like a nutrition book, as well. Some you might pick up at the library through inter-loan library.

E-mail me if you wish.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 7 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jan,

Not sure how long you've had lyme but did you have your fillings out and treat lyme at the same time?

A year ago I did hair analysis and my mercury is high. Dr. recommended I take fillings out and got diagnosed with lyme after that.

Can you do both treatments or is it to much on your body?

I'll also have to search GiGi's posts and see what she has to say!

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic should definitely be in Medical.
I know for a fact that 99.9999% of Lyme patients suffer also, or possibly primarily, from heavy metal toxicity. If you live in today's world, it is extremely difficult to avoid.

It is amazing to me that people cannot seem to understand this.

Every patient that I have met over the years, who is being treated for Lyme and co-infections, all are heavy metal toxic. Nobody gets well from Lyme without addressing these toxins. If the metals are there in excess, the viruses and parasites also have a wonderful time, and it becomes a vicious cycle of who is able to "survive". It's definitely not the host - until you address all of them.

By the way, mercury testing is a very delicate thing. First, it often is not found in the blood because it does not live in the blood. Mercury is often in areas where the blood flow is already limited and where the blood cannot reach. If you collect urine for the test and leave the container open or it is improperly handled by the lab, the mercury turns to vapor very quickly and you can find it anywhere then, on the walls of the bathroom, etc., but not in the urine that you want to have tested.

There is a lot of info on Medical about all of this. Don't waste any money with an incompetent lab - there are just a couple in the country that know how to do it right. Doctor's Data in Chicago is one of them.

If Hg shows up in a hair analysis, this points to a constant exposure in the environment or from fillings, etc. Both favor neurological symptoms. Even there chlorella can help somewhat, because methyl-hg is already released in the small intestine, but is reabsorbed again (new/re- toxification) instantly if there is no chlorella present. It is not easy to detoxify these metals and takes an expert's help, because the system is trying so desperately to get rid of these toxins, and starts to retain everything, all toxins, also Hg, when it becomes really desperate. Consequence: Nothing functions right any longer. It's an allergic response, in a way. That's not what one wants. If one becomes allergic to a metal, the body does not readily release it until the allergy is broken. There again, you need someone who knows how.

There is lots to learn about this before you start. If you want to get well, pay close attention to your mouth. Many, many problems start right there.

Good luck.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What GiGI said.

Started getting sick with unknown symptoms and misdiagnosed with myasthenia gravis from 1989-1994.

By 1994, doctors had given up on me. If I was ever going to get well, I was going to have to do it myself.

I did not know I had LD when I had my amalgams removed. No clue. Also, no internet. I would've never imagined I might have LD & co-infections, much less mycoplasma.

Never heard of neurological Lyme before.

I was diagnosed in April 2003 with LD & later Babesia. Awaiting Bartonella results today.

To anwer to your question re: treating both Lyme & mercury toxicity at same time--------

I cannot give you an expert opinion. I don't know the latest protocol.

I'm sure it would depend on a multitude of factors such as how fragile you are.

Your body's immune system works on a 21-day cycle, so everything has to be done in certain timing.

You don't want too many hits on your immune system during that 21-day cycle.

The scientists on the board understand all this in depth. Maybe they will visit & expound on it.

I only know what I"ve read------and with my less than perfect short-term memory, you need to question anything I write.

Research, Research, Research is probablly the best answer.

You will find the answers, but I don't want to give you bad, outdated information.

GiGi has already done a lifetime of research on this. You struck gold when you found GiGi's work.

Best wishes on your quest.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement