LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Poll: Artists with lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poll: Artists with lyme
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed there seems to be quite a few people on the board with art somewhere in there name...

i can't really say i'm much of an artists these days because I'm too sick.... but i was before i got sick and will be once i'm well enuff.

I was wondering what kind of mediums you worked in before you got sick

and if its forced you to change mediums ???if so what are they during the illnes ???

or if u have even had to stop.

me- I worked alot of mediums
plaster, wood, various clays, papers, found objects, materials, wire, various paints (oils, watercolors, acrylic , spray, house paint,) tape, screenprints ,etching, intaglio, oil pastels, softpastels, conte crayons, charcoal, kids crayons , markers, pencils, ink and im probaly forgetting stuff.

I'd just like to here how others have copes with various limitations that the disease has imposed....

i can't wait till im well enuff to work on my art and work because i'm going to teach art...

right now i'm just kinda waiting to be able to live again..

and if i could figure out a way to do some artwork that felt like it was geniune and not watered down because of the disease ... it would just make life richer for me.

thank you to all who post

best wishes

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AW, my daughter used to be artistically talented in many mediums..Even crafts..She has won numerous blue ribbons, 2 reserve champions, 2 champions and a grand champion at various times at our county fair..

Her grand champion was also on an original story book that she illustrated..Writing was also one of her many talents.

I am very sorry to say that it is almost gone..There are times when a glimmer will shine thru..Last year she won first place in a County AIDS poster contest..but she just tells me it is gone..I think it is just hidden.

I sometimes email a lady that is being treated for Mold..She was first going the route of lyme and may still have it, but she is getting back to her art, so I have hope..

I think it is still there but the cognitive skills are dulled with the disease and with the meds..I do not think it goes away..

Good luck..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for algr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fit the bill.

I've always been crafty and artsy, even when I too young to properly hold my paintbrush. I did art throughout highschool (though taking art classes has often put me off to doing it...you know the old stubborn attitude "if they tell me to, I won't do it").

I also used to write, but haven't had the energy or inspiration int he past couple years aside from the necessary school assignments.

I'm a musician as well, and have found most of my limitations in this because of the physical output required to play an instrument. I play bass...which is heavy, and flute...which requires a lot of air support.

These days my visual arts media of choice is photography (digital and traditional). I had a spread published in Shutterbug magazine this past July.

I often get frustrated with mental block and physical limitations in expressing myself creatively, but it's worth the push sometimes!

------------------
cheers,
AG

Posts: 119 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Art has always been a huge part of my life. It's always been an important part of my identity. It started for me ever since I held a crayon in my hands as a child! I could draw pictures way past my years when little.

I believe it is a gift from God, although an undeserved one, I'm very thankful for it!

Azure Wish, it sounds like we have a lot in common.
I love any type of medium - I always wished I had the funds/time to do it all...

Pencil drawing has been top on my list, painting with acrylics, oils, pastels, colored pencil, I love working with clay/sculpture. I love creating things with my hands.

I use to paint or draw people portraits and pet portraits - I use to be really busy before Christmas every year. I also use to do house/landscape drawings for my brother - he was a realtor, and he would give the new homeowners a drawing of their new home as a housewarming gift.

I use to be the "props and backdrop scenery" person at my Church. One year I built a life-sized house front and porch for our Christmas play with cardboard, wood frame, paint and hot glue. I was crazy! It took me a couple of weeks of working for hours and hours every day.

Now, I don't do any art at the present because of the way I feel with this stupid lyme. I love to do detailed artwork and I have lost a lot of the "steadiness" of my hands. I hate it, and I hope that it will get better with treatment.

I'm supposed to do a picture of our new church building....and I haven't been able to even bring myself to try to start it.

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to think of the exposure you had to metals and chemicals! My brother, also an artist, ended up with a toxic cancerous kidney -- he used to put a fine point on his paint brush by licking it - A few years of this, it almost did him in.

He knows better now and is protecting himself and his remaining other kidney.

Detoxing is a must if you want to get well from Lyme.

You might want to read some of my posts on Medical. They are all about this.

Best wishes.

P.S. hairdressers run the same risk!

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess chainsaw joe would give away the medium I work in,wood.My art keeps me sane and is my exercise.I just am very limited in the time I have the energy to do it and that fustrates the hell out of me.
Posts: 225 | From mass. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chainsaw joe:
I guess chainsaw joe would give away the medium I work in,wood.My art keeps me sane and is my exercise.I just am very limited in the time I have the energy to do it and that fustrates the hell out of me.

Chainsaw joe,
Do you do tree stumps? In my neck of the woods we have a local artist who creates chainsaw sculptures from large tree stumps left when someone has a tree cut down in their yard. Instead of digging up the yard to uproot it, they have a gorgeous piece of artwork!

I would love to be able to do this - But, I'm afraid I may end up "losing" some part of myself!

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trecetetodromonmetabia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6250

Icon 6 posted      Profile for trecetetodromonmetabia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just so glad that I can do something. Lyme disease has made me appreciate art like I never have before.

[This message has been edited by trecetetodromonmetabia (edited 18 January 2005).]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to carve alot of logs when I was healthy but thanks to lyme(or should I say the CDC)Ive had to go to smaller and lighter work.I carve mostly faces.
Posts: 225 | From mass. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdcallen
Member # 3987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdcallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, have been very creative and artsy for most of my adult life. I work with natural materials, mostly dried flowers, branches, etc. Even consider a piece of ground a blank canvas and 'create' my work with hardscape and landscape.

Since ill I am not able to put in new gardens. However I can work with dried flowers and this summer it proved very theraputic for me. Like basket making at the sanitarium.LOL

Interestingly I have had major personalitly changes with lyme but I seem to be more creative than usual. Hard to say where I will end up.

I do recommend finding something creative for you to do in a chair or bed because it is such a wonderful outlet and you may be surprised at what you come up with.

Cathy

Posts: 71 | From Warren, Mi, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad someone brought this topic up. I sing, or did sing. I was just starting to sing in a group called the Surrender sisters when I started to become ill. But I didnt know what the illness was. Did get through one gig only I think because I drank Holy water. Yep I did. Then was asked by another contemporary Christian music group, the Godivas, to sing with them, and I told them if I get my voice back I would love to. The leader said when I get my voice back, I can.

Between the not having enough air to push the notes through, and the quickened tiredness and sore vocal chords, the notes dont come out anymore so well.

Last night was singing Amazing Grace at a retreat, and couldn't get through it all. Just when I was starting my dream of singing, I contracted this disease.

I'm sorry for all your delayed talents, but I am praying they come back in full force, because even though just being diagnosed, I plan on my voice to come back in full force.

God bless, Loretta

Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement