LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Denial, Anger, next negotiation...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Denial, Anger, next negotiation...?
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wavering between denial and anger re: my 3-yr old daughter's Lyme dx. Very much akin to Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' first 2 stages in her book "On Death and Dying".

Let me ask you all a question just to see if my anger is justified or if it's an emotional issue that I'm going through in trying to deal with my daughter's diagnosis.

My daughter's test results from IGeneX and LabCorp for Striker panel, co-infections, etc., have been sitting on our LLMD's desk for 2 weeks now. I know they've been sitting there because I called the labs and they told me tests were completed and sent to the LLMD.

In spite of THREE phone calls to our LLMD for test results, we have yet to hear ONE word back.

Only one phone call was returned by a *receptionist* re: length of our daughter's abx treatment (we wanted to know if we should extend treatment until our next appt).

I can't help it, but I'm livid about this. About being ignored. About paying out a LOT of money to see a doctor who can't be bothered to return our phone calls.

I'd rather her call and say ANYTHING to us rather than nothing at all. The feeling of being non-existant, not mattering, unimportant...you name it...is filling me with rage.

So, in your opinions, do you think my anger is justified, or am I being irrational and unreasonable?

Thanks, everyone, for any input you'd like to offer.

(edited to clarify)

[This message has been edited by heartsickmommy (edited 14 November 2004).]

Posts: 134 | From calif. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dzeb
Member # 4426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dzeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should try and get to the bottom of why the MD is "ignoring" you. It should not take 3 phone calls to get back to you about a possible diagnosis.
Has your child been diagnose with Lyme?
If you are still feeling like you are being ignored, I would look at seeking another MD who is really LLMD. Some MD's call themselves LLMD but are really not.
Good luck in your quest for answers.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my daughter has been clinically diagnosed twice with Lyme Disease. First by her pediatrician and second by our LLMD.

Yes, the doctor is a LLMD. We sought the LLMD out after realizing that our pediatrician was not Lyme literate.

Even Kaiser treated us with more courtesy and respect than we're being treated now. ??????

Posts: 134 | From calif. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HSMOMMY,

My heart goes out to you. Yes, you have a right to be angry. I'm still angry.

I'm still waiting our clinic's "official" investigation who dropped the ball here on my lyme positive dx!

So complain to the top person in charge. The SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS GREASED! I wanted to know these things:

1. Why did I the patient have to follow up on my blood tests 4 wks. after they were sent to Igenex?

2. Why didn't the blood lab have a FOLLOWUP system calling a lab for results when they hadn't been returned in 1-2 wks?

3. Why after I visited my dr. requesting again the lab results did our local blood lab call IGX in Calif. & they were FAXED that morning to clinic.

4. Why was it 1.5 days later before I got an answer when I called them although I have told them NOT to call until after 2 pm since I'm in bed all morning & then on internet...we have ONE phone line.

5. They also screwed up and did NOT have a drs. dx code on IGX's special request form, and then sent ALL my BC/BS reimbursement paperwork back to me after 6 wks. vs. having furnished the BLUE CARD co. the drs. dx code! Was I livid! I spent 2.5 hrs. calling 4 people that day...twice each.

Don't let them get away with this. Find another LLMD who will give you respect and prompt service! Best wishes.
Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my feedback.

Toni's daughter has already been diagnosed AND is being treated for Lyme. She had two bull's eye rashes, confirmed by physician, so doesn't really need a positive Lyme test to confirm Lyme. She has been tested for coinfections, so that is the real question.

The doctor they are waiting to hear results from IS a LLMD, and a good one. She is also available only part of the week, and like all other LLMDs in CA, is VERY busy.

So, while it's not good to hear they aren't returning calls, it is not surprising. Lyme patients are very high maintenence, and take up a lot of doctor time beyond appt time.

Your doctor may not be comfortable with letting you have the results till the appt. This is perfectly reasonable, as you can't DO anything about it till then anyway. Some people only worry themselves over results they don't understand.

Now, my doctor does let me get my results first, because he knows I'm very educated about them, and will research treatment before my appt.

But your LLMD doesn't know you yet. So she may not feel comfortable with that.

Also, my doctor's office charges for phone consults.

quote:

In the interest of keeping our office visit fees as low as possible, and due to the time of our staff involved in patient care, we must charge a fee for some services, as you will see throughout this informational document.

If you need to call for clarification of the Doctor's instructions, there will be no charge for the initial 10 minutes.

If you call for general information and it requires more than 5 minutes of staff time, there will be a $1.00 per minute charge.

To provide you with optimal care when you have individualized questions, the Doctor may need to review your chart and for this there will be a $10 - $20 charge.

If your question requires further chart review, you may be asked to schedule a brief office visit or phone consultation with the Doctor at regular office fees.

Now, if you were calling because your daughter was having a SERIOUS increase in symptoms that required immediate intervention, I would be upset. But wanting to know lab results, I would give them a little more slack.

I've stood in my LLMDs office and watched the receptionist answer calls. Its nonstop.

What was the response about the continuation of medication? Have they extended it?

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I discovered that Quest has a place for "additional fax to and mail to" info. on the labwork form. I put my info there and the results come directly to me. I fax any questions I have to the llmd and the nurse usually calls with the answers.

Maybe other labs offer this additional fax to option? It won't help today, but in the future it could
make your life easier and less stressfull.

Our llmd has become overwelmed and as wonderful as they all are in the office, it take a long time for them to get results to us.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be very distressing dealing with all the aspects of this disease. I dont know if you ever listened to an LLMD's phones, but they are always ringing and at all hours of the day and night.

It really does take its toll on the office staff. Unfortunaltly it is the environment we have to live in because of the lack of Lyme litereate physicians.

It sounds like your daughter has already been placed on antibiotics. The test results may or may not change what she is taking. I bet though if it was an emergency, or you were in need of perscriptions, they would get right back to you.

Since you have already asked on several occasions for the results, I would wait until your next appointment. I know that sounds bad, but there is only so much we can expect out of them. They are overloaded with very little relief in sight.

If she is experienceing problems from the treatment, or new symptoms are appearing, that would be a totally different story. I know it is hard when it is your children, I have two with Lyme, but dont allow this to consume you. You need all your energy to handle the real problems.

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

You guys are right. I've got to calm down. I'm letting the anger over my daughter's diagnosis transfer into other aspects of my life and onto people who don't deserve my anger laid on their shoulders.

Thank you for bringing me back down to earth.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement