LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Wisdom teeth removal and scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wisdom teeth removal and scared
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 9 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. My name's Marc and I'm a 27 year old lymie that's had lyme symptoms for 5 years and has been on antibiotics for 1 year.

I've been recently told by my dentist that I need to have my wisdom teeth removed and I'm scared to death of having this procedure with my lyme.

I have panic attacks as it is but anytime I know I'm going to be anesthetized just puts me in full panic mode.

I'm terrified that I won't make it through the procedure or that my lyme compromised immune system will allow an infection to bloom in the days following surgery.

Anyone else out there that has gone through wisdom teeth removal with lyme and can tell me what to expect? I'm a nervous wreck right now.

Panicking in Florida,

Marc

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethanie70
Member # 5439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethanie70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marc,
I'm sorry that I can't really offer you what you need. I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed (3 were impacted) 12 years ago. I have "only" been sick for 5 years, so this was pre-lyme. If you have any general questions about the procedure itself, I can help. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you input specifically regarding the Lyme. As far as anxiety and infections during Lyme, I sure know where you are coming from there!!! Good luck!

Take care,
Beth

Posts: 72 | From California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lkpod
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lkpod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my wisdom teeth out when I was about 17 or so and have had Lyme since age four. I was only dx'ed 5 weeks ago.

I had mine out under general anesthesia. Usually the anesthesia a dentist gives is very light...you still breathe on your own and can even follow instructions but aren't aware of anything and don't remember anything afterward. That's how mine was at least.

I had absolutely no problems other than a slightly queesy stomach afterward from the pain meds.

I don't know if you ever take anything for anxiety, but this might be something to look into. Some ativan or xanax might make you a lot more comfortable the day of.

I understand your anxiety and I trust that you won't have any problems.

BTW - What abx are you on?

Posts: 134 | From So. California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marc,

I got my wisdom teeth out about 18 months ago (funny, I was 27 then too). I wasn't diagnosed with Lyme yet, but I was in the process of finding a diagnosis. My symptoms were really at their worst at that time. I've probably had Lyme for over 15 years.

It was very easy. One moment the dentist was asking me about my last vacation, and the next moment the assistant was waking me up in the rest area. The prescription of oxycontin sure kept the pain away, even the Lyme pain. I spent 4 days watching t.v.

My one suggestion is to have somebody who can help you out the first day. My mom came to town to help me, and I really needed it because I was very foggy that day.

And look in the mirror while you drink. I know this sounds silly, but it's really hard to drink when your chin is numb. I had to look in a mirror, and hold my chin with one hand, to make sure the glass made it to my mouth.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son (Jake) had his wisdom teeth out in April at the age of 17. He has been ill for 5 years.

I don't think the surgery affected his Lyme. He seemed about the same after surgery.

Jake did OK with the general anesthesia. The procedure was very quick, maybe 45 minutes from the time he left the waiting room until he was ready to leave.

Can you take something (Zanax) before the surgery to help with your anxiety?

Good Luck!

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the oral surgeons now yse verset and demerol with nitrous oxide. once the iv is in yuor arm your don't remember anything, the medicine gives you retrocactive amnesia.
you a awake dring the procedure and breathing on your own but don't remember the iv going in.
i have any surgical procedure done this way and have yet to have problems or post op infections in 12 years. i have had mutiple surgeries within the last five all with sedation and no problems.
good idea to premedicate with oral abx 1-2 days before procedure with clindamycin and 5 days after.will have swelling and pain for sveral days ,ice and oxycodone form that.all 4 at once or your never go back. you'll be bad for 2 days it won't matter if they do 1 or all 4 so get all 4 at once.
good luck.its a piece of cake until after the surgery for 2 days.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement